C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting your Corvette letters to stick

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Getting your Corvette letters to stick

I just received a set of stick on letters for the dash on my C6 and as usual... They did not adhere well. Any ideas on what to use to make them stick? I thought I followed directions. Still no luck.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Crazy Glue?

I hear it is all in the prep.....
Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Use alcohol wipes to thoroughly clean the indentations, heat the area with a hair dryer, place and press letters carefully and hit it with the hair dryer again. Finally, press the letters in place again.

Worked for me...YMMV.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

After the alcohol use an adhesive promoter.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most important thing, ALCOHOL. For the letters a Q-tip would get in the crevice better than just a wipe..... I haven't done my dash yet but the bumper letters on mine stuck well. Good Luck
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

All I can say to you is good luck. I have bought every piece of lettering for the dash and not one of them stuck. I have used vinyl letters, raised dome letters, metal letters etc... I have tried it about six times with all kinds of different prep work and no luck. It got to a point where the dasboard started to get ruined from all the different glue's, adhesives and removers that I used. I had to bring the car to the dealer to fix the dash and they fixed it under warranty to look brand new.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Use alcohol wipes to thoroughly clean the indentations, heat the area with a hair dryer, place and press letters carefully and hit it with the hair dryer again. Finally, press the letters in place again.

Worked for me...YMMV.
This will work
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by vig1116
Most important thing, ALCOHOL. For the letters a Q-tip would get in the crevice better than just a wipe..... I haven't done my dash yet but the bumper letters on mine stuck well. Good Luck
I drank alcohol before I put my letters on. It helped.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vig1116
I just did mine a week ago, and all I can say is be VERY careful with the alcohol. GM has a bulletin that specifically says not to use alcohol on their low gloss dashes. I think I was a little too aggressive with the alcohol and now I have shiny rings around all of my letters that I can not get to go away. I think the alcohol took off whatever coating is on the dash, and I am not happy with how it looks now.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GM'er
I just did mine a week ago, and all I can say is be VERY careful with the alcohol. GM has a bulletin that specifically says not to use alcohol on their low gloss dashes. I think I was a little too aggressive with the alcohol and now I have shiny rings around all of my letters that I can not get to go away. I think the alcohol took off whatever coating is on the dash, and I am not happy with how it looks now.
GM'er HAVE I GOT GOOD NEWS FOR YOU. I DID THE EXACT SAME THING YOU DID ONLY ABOUT FIVE TIMES MORE. THE WHOLE AREA AROUND MY LETTERS HAS A SHINNY GLOW ALL AROUND. I TOOK THE CAR BACK TO MY DEALER AND TOLD THEM I DON'T KNOW WHATS GOING ON BUT MY DASH IS STARTING TO WEAR AWAY AROUND THE LETTERING. THEY HAVE A SPECIAL INTERIOR GUY WHO FIXES THESE THINGS AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW. HE FIXED IT AND THE DASH LOOKS BRAND NEW AGAIN. THE DEALER EXPLAINED TO ME THAT HE USES SOME SORT OF EPOXY AND THEN DYES THAT PART OF THE DASH AND THEN REMOVES EVERYTHING HE PUT ON AND DOES IT AGAIN. MY DASH LOOKS LIKE THE DAY IT ROLLED OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR, ALL FIXED UNDER WARRANTY. BUT I DID SEE THE BILL AND THE GUY CHARGED THE DEALER $150 TO DO IT.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting your Corvette letters to stick

Quick Reply: Getting your Corvette letters to stick