C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette, winter driving and salt

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
Any chance that is a Chevy Truck. I have noticed that of all the vehicles I've owned, nothing rusts/surface rusts on all the bits and pieces as bad as my Chevy.
Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Must be a Ford .....................
Winner, winner, chicken dinner...
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Winner, winner, chicken dinner...
Heh ........... That's what the frame of our Mazda B3000 looked like after several years. Ford built it !
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Most of those other luxos vehicles you see in the winter months are most likely leases, why should they care
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

There are different degrees of snow........ one inch vrs 6 inches or a foot makes a big difference in any car especially a Vette. And some areas are excellent maintaining the roads others are hit and miss.

I was lucky to get my first Vette a C5 at 47. A dream come true. I never took it out in the rain!!!

But now 13 years later........ I'm going to say it my 13 is just a car. The spliter is not a plow but I know there is a C7 in my future so I drive it.

Different age different perspective.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Only the side rails are steel on the standard C6. Like I said it's mostly aluminum and plastic and moving forward the C7 is all aluminum and plastic so it's even less of an issue.
Side rails, bulkheads, foot well frames, cross supports, bumper supports, radiator support, windshield frame, and many other parts are steel in C5's and C6's. Aluminum does corrode in salt environments, especially at points in contact with other metals. Remember how many old Buick and Oldsmobiles in the late 70's had bumpers missing or ajar? It was because the aluminum bumper 5 mile crash beam behind the chrome bumper corroded away.
Take a look under a car with aluminum suspension parts that is a salt area driven car. Not saying there is a structure problem, but the aluminum becomes ugly and definately is affected by salt and water.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by loflite
Here's my take on salt. It depends on how long you plan on keeping your car. If you trade regularily, drive it. Who cares what the underside looks like, the next guy can worry about that. I tend to keep my cars for a very long time, in other words, I don't sell or trade, I just add to the fleet. So, I want to keep the car as pristine as I can. Here in MN they salt the heck out of the roads. They are literally white in the winter and not with snow. Since I do drive my cars in the rain, I just try to minimize the corrosion by not mixing salt and water.

I don't think the corvette is any more susceptible than any other car. Just trying to keep it as nice as I can. The older C3's were very susceptible to rust in the frames.

We used our 2001 as a daily driver through five Chicago winters, using the Goodyear M+S winter tires (not A/S, and not available now) on a second set of wheels.

Every winter, it looked awful. Every Spring, I'd give it a careful detailing and it looked fine.

When we traded it at 5 yrs/66k miles, the paint looked as good as any C5 with that many miles, and the underside looked like any other C5 that was driven in rain but not in snow/salt. The dealer's service dept inspected it on a rack and said it was "excellent", gave us a very fair trade-in allowance.

Our current C6 may get kept a long time, so we avoid the salt except for one dash to Florida in January, flush it thoroughly, and don't come back until the salt is gone. I also put duct tape over the shipping slots for the trip down.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Spending time between our family farm in Iowa and our home in Colorado....I've experienced both the salt solution situation (Iowa) and the sanding of Colorado roads......for salt....wash the vehicle as often as possible to keep the salt reaction to a minimum...in Colorado...just replace your pitted windshield every few years.....
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

The frames WILL rust. I live in Norther, PA and drive a lot in NY as well. The vehicle around here take a beating. Its not just rust to worry about. Yes, the frame will rust, do not fool yourself. The other aspect people dont think of is that bolts are made of what? Thats right, metal.....and they rust as well. Over time it makes it harder to remove them and often times they break and leave you pissed off and spending time to remove it.

The salt also eats at your clear and over time your car will look like crap if not regularly taken care of. By that I mean washed, waxed, and most likely recleared. The salt also will make your plastic bits look old, gets caked in suspension bits and finds its way all through your engine bay. You also suck it up in to your air cleaner and it gets caked in your radiator.

Im not saying you cant drive it in the winter. Its just there are more things to think about than the rust.

Quick Reply: Corvette, winter driving and salt