C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any family men out there with a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Didn't get my vette until I was 52. 2 kids out of college was the time to buy it.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM
c6tech
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

CTS V black problems solved
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Buy a C4 and a keep your daily beater. Upgrade as life situation changes. You won't regret it as C4's are great cars
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 PM
blacktavert
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CTS-V wagon as my DD to haul my son around, but I do take my son in my vette a lot, He loves it
You will find reasons to drive it
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Every man needs some alone time and Vette Therapy. I have four boys and with every kid my weekend cars got less doors and seats.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

My 8 year old son has been my co-pilot for 5 years. I waited as long as I did because of the family though.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 PM
txsugar08
Pro

IMO, if you have a family with young children its all about planning when you decide to get a VETTE. In your case, you will have the wife's car and the VETTE. If your wife's car has to go to the shop for a day or so, now you are down to one car with 2 seats and four people. Getting the little one to daycare, means a car seat, sippy cup, and the little accident that comes along with a little one.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3 kids 5-11. I have a paid off 9 year old second car for backup.

You only live once man. Go for it...
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 PM
vettegen
1st Gear

I've got 3 kids - one son who is now 13. I bought the C6 when he was 10 and we've driven cross country to the NCM, Corvettes at Carlisle a few times and Detroit to the Woodward Dream Cruise. These trips + car shows and working on the vette have been some of the best times we have had together. Any chance you can get to do something you both enjoy is pretty special. They grow up really fast.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

My boy is 12 and loves the Vette as much as me. He loves the days when I take him to school in it. With that said I have a Tahoe for the family time trips and its my wife's DD. I have a take home Charger from work and I own an old Crown Victoria for some work purposes. Man if you think the car is just gonna sit I would not buy it yet. Its gonna kill you to see it sitting in the garage and begging to be driven. I would wait if your as busy as you claim.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettegen
I've got 3 kids - one son who is now 13. I bought the C6 when he was 10 and we've driven cross country to the NCM, Corvettes at Carlisle a few times and Detroit to the Woodward Dream Cruise. These trips + car shows and working on the vette have been some of the best times we have had together. Any chance you can get to do something you both enjoy is pretty special. They grow up really fast.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't get the car you "kinda" like, all that means is everytime you drive and see a vette drive by you're gonna think damn I shoulda...anyway I have an 8 and 4 year old, a daily driver for work and the wife drives an 09 Malibu, sometimes I'll be sitting around the house and get the urge to drive the vette, I'll just tell the wife, "Hey I need to drive the vette and get it out of my system!" My point is you don't have to drive it everyday you just have to have it available, even just for trips to the store....everytime I drive to the store in my vette I come home, hang up my keys and put the grocery bag down on the kitchen table and tell my wife, "Damn I love that car!" GET THE VETTE!!!

Last edited by C6ROLLER; 04-29-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you need a family utility vehicle that takes priority over owning a Corvette for the time being. When your needs change or when you can swing a Corvette in addition to having your family type cars then look to buy a 'just for fun' Corvette. Family needs and financial considerations always come first.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 PM
MChin
Heel & Toe

I have a mini van for family time and the Corvette for me time. Buy it when you can or you'll talk yourself out of it. I don't drive it everyday, but knowing I can brings a smile to my face.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 PM
guyster05LBM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When my kids (2 girls) were younger I had to have a 4 seater, so had a M3 convertible, so I could take them on occasion. Now that my oldest daughter is driving her own car now, I finally was able to get the corvette. It was a tough wait, but well worth it now.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

I also have a 4yr old and 1 yr old. I work alot and in the little free time I have I spend it with the kids. I always regretted selling my C5 in 2002 and started thinking more and more about getting another Corvette.

I really beat myself up over it. Why buy a toy that I would only drive on weekends? Why spend the money on something I really didn't need? Back and forth I went like this for the longest time.

I woke up one day and just decided to do it. You live once why wait if it will make you happy and you can afford it? About 5 weeks ago I picked it up from Tommy Jr and have absolutely zero regrets. I get up early on weekends and take it out and am back before the kids are up. I feel like a giddy little kid while driving the Vette! I wish I had done it earlier. My boys love it too, they help me wash it and always ask to see it. Can't wait to give them a ride one day.

I say go for it but only you can decide if it's right for you.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm married, with three kids...Not a problem, since we have more than just the Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Any family men out there with a vette?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I have 3 school age kids (and one out the door!). I drove a Honda minivan for years....but as I got to thinking about it, 95% of the time I was alone in the minivan heading to work and back (50 mile daily commute). I got mine so that I could turn that daily grind into the highlight of my day. I still commute all by myself...but now, I look forward to the drive every day. My car sits in the garage all weekend while we use the wife's Flex for family time....and for those times that we do have to split up, there's always one parent who has only one kid (and get's to enjoy the Vette ride!). We hung on to a beater van conversion, but we never use it anymore.

You live in California...there is nothing that peels a work week off your skin like pulling the targa top off and taking the long way home on a Friday afternoon!

The only downside: I miss sneaking out to the mini-van and grabbing a power nap after lunch. That's a little harder to do in the Vette!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All my kids are grown 42 years and down to 26 and the youngest is the only one that showed an intrest in vetts ,so I gave him my 94 after he won the street car shoot out 32 car field with it, so some one in the family will take to the vett so you can buy a newer one,I had my race street vett and the kids would fight to ride in it until I made a racer out of it, now I have an 08
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Nele22
Instructor

I have two kids. My son turns 5 tomorrow and my daughter will be 3 in August. They both love the Vette. I also have an old beater truck in the event we all need to go somewhere and mom has the SUV.

Quick Reply: Any family men out there with a vette?