C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranties Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Extended Warranties Need Help

Hi,

I bought an 08 Coupe in Crystal Red with 21k miles. It's my first Vette and I'm very excited. Anyway, the dealer pushing a warranty through Fidelity Warranty Services. It is a bumper to bumper coverage but I read lots of bad reviews and some ok reviews. The GM equivalent is a lot more. Should I save my money altogether or is there a reputable warranty service that is trustworthy. Thanks in advance

Last edited by traderfjp; 05-09-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If your comfortable spending the extra cash for peace of mind, then you've made up your mind already. The only thing I would question is are there certain facilities that I'd be required to take the vehicle too for a problem? I've purchased extended warranties from outside companies (Not Dealers) in the past, but I was told only certain garages were participants that honored that warranty. I couldn't just take the car where I wanted to for service work. And will this dealer honor this warranty for service work? If so, then it may be worth it to pursue. good luck!!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

I think extended warranties are great for re-sale value ad peace of mind, but the warranty the dealer is pushing is from Fidelity and I read some horrible reviews. If it was a GM warranty I would be fine with it. Toyota and BMW sell Fidelity extened contracts so I'm not sure what to think. I also need to find out if there are lots of facilities in my area. The steering sensor was replaced 3 times on the car I'm buying, over the first two years the car was new and a few little things so I'm a little nervous about not having a warranty but it's a lot of money so...

Originally Posted by Jimmy52
If your comfortable spending the extra cash for peace of mind, then you've made up your mind already. The only thing I would question is are there certain facilities that I'd be required to take the vehicle too for a problem? I've purchased extended warranties from outside companies (Not Dealers) in the past, but I was told only certain garages were participants that honored that warranty. I couldn't just take the car where I wanted to for service work. And will this dealer honor this warranty for service work? If so, then it may be worth it to pursue. good luck!!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the fact that it's not a GM extended warranty plan would shy me away. Since you've read negative replies about them, that should caution you. I'm curious though, is the selling dealer offering ANY warranty on this vehicle ex: 90 day Bumper to bumper,? 6 month 3000? Even when I bought my 05, I was given 90 day 100% coverage. Something is better than nothing.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a Google search on "discounted gm extended warranty." There are plenty of hits that will save you money.

GP
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Fidelity is 'OK', but unless you live in Florida, I would contact Dennis Fichner for his price on the GMPP first
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 522 Posts

Don't walk......run to Dennis Fichtner at Fichtner Chevrolet, Laurel, Montana. Well, actually just give him a call or an email. Least expensive GMPP's available from the dealer who is the most knowledgable this side of anywhere.

Bought numerous GMPP's from Dennis and Ken Fichtner over the years. Peace of mind, great coverage, and have used them all. Fichtner Chevrolet is an original advertiser/vendor on this Forum, and Ken even has his own updates page newsletter on this Forum as well.

Well respected, and well deserved.

And no state sales tax charged, because when you buy from Fichtner, you are buying from a dealer in a state that has no state sales tax.

Dennis Fichtner
406-628-4618
dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4lyn
Don't walk......run to Dennis Fichtner at Fichtner Chevrolet, Laurel, Montana. Well, actually just give him a call or an email. Least expensive GMPP's available from the dealer who is the most knowledgable this side of anywhere.

Bought numerous GMPP's from Dennis and Ken Fichtner over the years. Peace of mind, great coverage, and have used them all. Fichtner Chevrolet is an original advertiser/vendor on this Forum, and Ken even has his own updates page newsletter on this Forum as well.

Well respected, and well deserved.

And no state sales tax charged, because when you buy from Fichtner, you are buying from a dealer in a state that has no state sales tax.

Dennis Fichtner
406-628-4618
dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com
You will pay half and get the real GMPP.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

OP car's too old for GMPP
Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Dennis can't help if the car is out of the original 3/36, which I'm sure any '08 is now. While it is possible to still get a GMPP for an out of factory warranty car, there is a requirement that the car be physically inspected by the dealer selling the warranty. Of course that means you're going to pay the prevailing retail rate, not Dennis' discounted rate.

We have this discussion several times a year. The consensus is that the vast majority of the 3rd party warranties are useless, primarily because they exclude more things than they include.

If you are financially comfortable and are looking for peace of mind, rather than wasting money on dubious 3rd party warranties, we usually suggest starting a dedicated savings account for unexpected Vette repairs. You seed the account with the money you were going to spend on the warranty and add to it monthly, $50, $100, whatever you can, until you have accumulated enough that you could easily sustain any major repair without affecting your family's living money. That comfortable amount might be $2500, $5000, $10000, it doesn't matter, whatever gives you that peace of mind you expected from a warranty. Then you always have YOUR money when you need it for anything and you don't give it to some questionable warranty company.

Just a suggestion.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There is a Vehicle One warranty company, similar to GMPP. Dennis Fichtner used to sell it but not any more, people seemed pretty happy with them.

You might check into them further, find out who will sell one at a good price if your car qualifies.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget the extended warranty. Just keep the cash and pay for any repairs you need.
I have been doing this since 1972....no extended warranties on anything, including cars, appliances, conputers, and also high deductibles on autos, homeowners, etc. and have saved about $30,000over the years. Got caught only once with a flying hubcap that caused $900. in damage to a 1986 Jaguar.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys you saved me some money. If it was a factory warranty I probably would have gone for it. I've always leased and never had to worry about repairs. Hopefully I'll be lucky.

Originally Posted by BostonJoel
Forget the extended warranty. Just keep the cash and pay for any repairs you need.
I have been doing this since 1972....no extended warranties on anything, including cars, appliances, conputers, and also high deductibles on autos, homeowners, etc. and have saved about $30,000over the years. Got caught only once with a flying hubcap that caused $900. in damage to a 1986 Jaguar.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 PM
murf257
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is my $.02 on the subject. I used to be in sales and received a good commission selling extended warranty. My wife being a Loan Officer at a credit union can beat the pants off of the price as they do not have to share commission with the dealership or the sales person! Her credit union is usually $400-$800 less than the dealer.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BostonJoel

Good luck.
We've owned 3 new Corvettes (2001, 2006, 2009), had GMPP extended warranty on all 3.

On the 2001 and 2006, we "made money" on the GMPP. With 4 yrs/35k miles remaining on the 2009 GMPP, we are well on the way to making money with that one too. Unfortunately.

We never buy extended warranties on the Toyotas, but wouldn't own a Corvette without one. Unfortunately. Which is why we don't buy GM vehicles any more except for the Corvette.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

i agree
Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM
tcbc
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just purchased a 1 owner 2008 Vert with 60,000 miles. Since it was sold by a dealer I was able to purchase a 3 year, 24,000 mile GMPP major guard plan.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranties Need Help

Old 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Default GM Warranty Now Offered

I told them I didn't want the Fidelity warranty and they offered a GMPP warranty. i was told that they can do it because I'm buying a certified car from a Chevy dealer. They are offering a 3yr./36k mile for 1600.00 and a 4yr/48k mile warranty for 2200.00. Not sure what to do. I'm thinking about the 3yr warranty which is about 530.00 a year but with the 4yr it is much more expensive. Any opinions. The car is an 08 coupe with 22k on the speedo.

Originally Posted by tcbc
Just purchased a 1 owner 2008 Vert with 60,000 miles. Since it was sold by a dealer I was able to purchase a 3 year, 24,000 mile GMPP major guard plan.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Before anything, I wouldn't waste my money on that either (never had, and have saved tons of money that can pay for almost anything that could happen to me at this point), but if you're set on doing that, let's move forward.

What you're looking at are SERVICE CONTRACTS, not 'extended warranties'... which is nothing more than an insurance policy. And the reason dealers/finance-managers push them so hard is they make A TON of money on them, simply because the great majority of buyers willl overpay. Anyway, once you realize that you're buying an insurance product, you need to READ THE FINE PRINT. And whatever the heck you buy, make sure it's an EXCLUSIONARY policy, meaning the policy clearly says what's being excluded. You'll be surprised to see many of the components you wanted covered to begin with. But that way, you're MUCH less likely to get screwed, because whatever is not excluded, it's covered. However, many policies/contracts have a PRORATED clause, meaning even if you get something covered, like an alternator, for instance, they'd only pay you the life left of the component. THAT's why it's better not to get involved with any of that crap to begin with. But if you still insist , definitely get something backed by GM, meaning their GMPP. I wouldn't even consider anything else, to be honest... unless you're a lawyer, and like gambling... A LOT. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM
crescentbeachbum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vechicle One warranty, certified by GM

for cars out of GMPP, like my 2007 that had 55k in late sept 2011...
Bumper to Bumper, got it for 5yrs/45,000 miles(2016/100k), cost $3,000 at my dealer(Tom Gibbs, Flagler Beach)
Fitchner coulda gave it to me for $2800 but paperwork processing wasn't quick enough since Oct 1 I was going on a 7,000 mile, 45 day journey cross country with a flight to HKG from LAX in there too.
warranty works great, $100 deduct: harmonic balancer, elect door handles so far!

I'm keeping MAX forever(83k on odo now) and since I'm on Soc Sec the cost makes sense: we have insurance for everything else, yer Vette deserves it too!

Last edited by crescentbeachbum; 05-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties Need Help