C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a base Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneed
It's a Corvette (nuff said).
IMO, there is no "base." All Corvettes are great!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
IMO, there is no "base." All Corvettes are great!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I have used the term base Corvette and not a single person (outside of halfway smart Corvette owners) has known what I am talking about.

[
I guess I should've specified....it's always after someone says "a Z06?" when I tell them I have a corvette.

When I first tell people what I drive I simply say " A corvette" and then the typical question is " A Z06?" to which I respond, "No, just a base corvette".

If they don't ask me anything it stops at "A Corvette"

I've had that conversation at least a dozen times in my 6 years of owning it.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Always considered, always? Oh....you mean since 2006. Got it. Must be you didnt know what Corvettes were before then since you have always considered it to be a standard body Corvette coupe with no options.
Uhm...yes? My guess is that's exactly wheat he meant.

In 2005 he would consider it to be the 1LT....like he said.

I don't know why people are so offended by the term base. I have no problems with it. When you have multiple offerings, the lowest offering is the base model. People have base 911's as well. No one says "base mustang" or "base camaro" because we all know it as the V6 mustang and V6 camaro. All other models have a specification (SS, ZL1, GT, Boss, GT500, etc...)

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 05-09-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
The "base" model of any vehicle is the cheapest model of said vehicle.
+1

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I guess I should've specified....it's always after someone says "a Z06?" when I tell them I have a corvette.

When I first tell people what I drive I simply say " A corvette" and then the typical question is " A Z06?" to which I respond, "No, just a base corvette".

If they don't ask me anything it stops at "A Corvette"

I've had that conversation at least a dozen times in my 6 years of owning it.
When asked if I have a ZO6 or ZR1 I say "No, just a normal Corvette."

But understsand your position.

Uhm...yes? My guess is that's exactly wheat he meant.

In 2005 he would consider it to be the 1LT....like he said.
No, that is not what he said.

His words
I have always considered a base Corvette to be the standard body Corvette coupe with no options
Before 2006 they were all standard body Corvettes. So prior to that it would be just the 1LT, not the standard body 1LT. You can claim the 90s ZR1 and C5 FRC/ZO6 as different but they were not different visually to the point that the C6 variations are.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

My last bit is this.

Some cars call to you. It can be the most loaded and it can be the least optioned. I form emotional bonds with my vehicles and there is just something about some cars that pull me in. Not all Corvettes are created equal and yes, some are below others in the pecking order. But I am willing to bet those of you who are married wouldnt get rid of or love your kids and wife less just because there is better out there. You wont 'settle' (term I hear often on here) for less options or certain suspensions but I am willing to bet most of their women look like something that came out from under a bridge.

People should be happy with what they have. If they are not happy with what they have they should get what does make them happy. Life is short. Enjoy it. Each time I get in my lowly 2013 narrow body/base/cheap-o/crappy unloaded up to some Corvette I smile and think about how my life is not too dang bad and how it could be a hell of a lot worse.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:03 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Default this can get ugly quick

GM lists them as

Corvette coupe
Corvette convertible

Gs coupe
Gs convertible

Z06

Zr1

and now 427 convertible.

no BASE anywhere.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by ls1121
The words "base Corvette" is a term made up by people that buy a GS or a z06 or zr1 to let all the owners of all non GS or zo6 or zr1 corvetts that their Corvette is BETTER than yours... It's all about one person thinking they are better than someone else.
This ^^^
Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually it isn't a made up term at all. Pull a door panel off of a narrow body car. You will find a sticker on there, in this case referring to the stereo options. Mine 2012 vert has "base, non-Bose" printed on the sticker.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

My last bit is this.

Some cars call to you. It can be the most loaded and it can be the least optioned. I form emotional bonds with my vehicles and there is just something about some cars that pull me in. Not all Corvettes are created equal and yes, some are below others in the pecking order. But I am willing to bet those of you who are married wouldnt get rid of or love your kids and wife less just because there is better out there. You wont 'settle' (term I hear often on here) for less options or certain suspensions but I am willing to bet most of their women look like something that came out from under a bridge.

People should be happy with what they have. If they are not happy with what they have they should get what does make them happy. Life is short. Enjoy it. Each time I get in my lowly 2013 narrow body/base/cheap-o/crappy unloaded up to some Corvette I smile and think about how my life is not too dang bad and how it could be a hell of a lot worse.
No one is saying that something is wrong with owning a base corvette.

My base corvette will wreck a ZR1 in a contest of speed. I'm definitely not concerned that I paid mid 40's for mine and they paid ~100k for theirs.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jcrumpley
Actually it isn't a made up term at all. Pull a door panel off of a narrow body car. You will find a sticker on there, in this case referring to the stereo options. Mine 2012 vert has "base, non-Bose" printed on the sticker.
Lol, I'll be so happy if that's true. It's going to make a lot of people tear up at the thought that their base corvette is ACTUALLY a base model corvette.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Good Lord! Who cares??
No huge deal, but as we discuss these cars, especially when they are for sale, I think it would be best if we avoid confusing terminology.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcrumpley
Actually, that is precisely my point. The radio is the base radio. The other radios are extra cost options. There is no base Corvette.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:52 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Actually, that is precisely my point. The radio is the base radio. The other radios are extra cost options. There is no base Corvette.
Oh, I thought he meant it to say "base (car model implied here), non-bose"
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

My base corvette will wreck a ZR1 in a contest of speed. I'm definitely not concerned that I paid mid 40's for mine and they paid ~100k for theirs.
One who buys a top tier Vette usually doesn't have something to prove by making such a statement. These types of remarks are usually said in order to elicit a response to the guy who spent more money on a corvette than you.

A base Vette, no matter how fast it is and how you mod it...will always be a base Vette, while the guy with the $100k ZR1 goes home at the end of the day and has a world class supercar.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

depends who you talk to...

some consider 1LT a base at any level

some consider the coupe/convertible LS3 non-GS cars "base"

I've called mine a "base" model since it's a coupe but it is nicely equipped as a 3LT with some additional dealer installed options
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a 2010 Coupe 3LT. Its whatever I want to call it. It's MY car. Coupe, Vette, Corvette, Base Coupe, whatever. I just love driving it.

Get notified of new replies

To What is a base Corvette?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:52 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
"Base" Corvette does not appear on any GM literature anywhere that I've ever seen. It's just a term created and used by many Corvette folks, including the ones on the forum.
Kinda like A6 and M6.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAE455
I always refer to the narrow body vette as the standard vette but I hate to tell you that the "Corvette Black Book" and a GM sales add I have from 2012 that compares the different styles does refer to them as "base corvette". Does it really matter? As was said, "A rose by another name would smell as sweet."
Right, refers to base Corvette as a Corvette with NO OPTIONS!

So there are base C6, Base Z06, Base ZR1, Base 427 converts, etc.
The following users liked this post:
MyDarkAngel (02-21-2023)
Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Whatever you might want to include in a "base vette" definition it will be the best value performance car on the road period, with super car performance numbers.

I paid just under $40,000 for my 08 C6 in late 07. Pretty much not going to be beat for the performance offered, even at double the price or more.

Quick Reply: What is a base Corvette?