C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GS Shimmy and Shake

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default New GS Shimmy and Shake

I picked up my new GS on Monday. It was on the showroom floor and they had to charge the battery before starting it up so it had been there a while. When I drove it home, on the highway, I noticed a shake in the steering wheel. With hands off the wheel, I can see the wheel vibrating. I took it back and asked the dealer to balance the tires which they did. I was lucky to catch the tech when he was pulling it out of the stall and he told me the tires were all pretty close and didn't take much weight. They do use a road force balancer. His concern was they had flat spots from sitting. He also said I may not see a difference but knew that GM required a certain amount of miles on the vehicle before they would do anything about this kind of issue. What are your thoughts? I hate the fact that the car doesn't drive down the highway as smooth as silk and I am concerned about handling if they are indeed flat.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

modern tires either do not flatspot or cure quickly. and what exactly would they do "after a certain amount of miles?"
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

take it back tell them to fix it or get your money back now
not after a few hund. mi.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Run N. Gun
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Horse Muffins.

Take the car back to the dealer and tell them to fix it! Tires are a safety issue.

Congratulations on an awesome new car!!

RnG
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When we were getting our free warranty alignment on our 2001, then our 2006, and then our 2009 (and they all needed it); I was told that GM required the mileage be more than xxx miles but less than xxxx for warranty coverage.

The numbers were something more than 500 but less than 8,000. Those are not the real numbers, but you get the idea.

Not sure if that is still true today.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my dealer did a complete alignment on my 13 gs with about 1100 miles on it. I just told them I thought it needed it, and they took care of it. I think you may need to push them, but get it fixed one way or another. Is your salesmen helping you, or the dealer manager or owner. Again, I think buying from the big forum dealers not only get us the best deals but the best deliverys.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

New performance tires can "flat spot" if they sit on a car long enough with the vehicle not being moved. When you drive it the nylon inside the tire will heat up and contract bringing them back into a round condition. They generally will stay that way from here on. This is why they want you to put some miles on them. You do need to get them warmed up good, around town driving wont cure your trouble.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did the car do on the test drive? Did it devolp problems since the test drive? Keep us informed on your situation and good luck.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

My '13 coupe pulled to the right from the outset and I was told that a wheel alignment could be done in warranty between 500 and 7500 miles, IIRC. I brought it in at around 800 and had it done. My impression was that items not normally warranted, like wheel alignment, would be covered within this mileage window.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

OP: you have some time before you are out of the window for a corrective alignment at GM's expense. Take the car for a long drive (100 miles out and back) on the highway where you can average around 75 mph and get the tires warm. If the car still feels funny after that take it back to the dealer.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To New GS Shimmy and Shake

Quick Reply: New GS Shimmy and Shake