C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help ( STM )

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
mancobra
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default need help ( STM )

driving home yesterday i got the " Service Tire Monitor " right front
i have no flat and the tire pressure okay
what can i do to get this " service tire Monitor " off ? thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by mancobra
driving home yesterday i got the " Service Tire Monitor " right front...i have no flat and the tire pressure okay...what can i do to get this " service tire Monitor " off ?
IF rebooting ECM doesn't work guessing the RF TPMS has gone south, they do go bad. Replacing the RF sensor would undoubtably be the solution.

BTW hasn't your car gone into "limp" mode due to the car believing it has a flat?

The knuckleheads at my dealership had some kind of issue after installing new tires on my Z06. TPMS' not functioning for whatever reason. Happened on a Friday & c/wouldn't be addressed 'til Monday.

'thougt' it had a flat it put itself in lmp mode (won't go over ~50 MPH); ergo, they woudn't release the car back to me until they could get it right.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM
mancobra
Instructor

Originally Posted by Landru
IF rebooting ECM doesn't work guessing the RF TPMS has gone south, they do go bad. Replacing the RF sensor would undoubtably be the solution.

BTW hasn't your car gone into "limp" mode due to the car believing it has a flat?

The knuckleheads at my dealership had some kind of issue after installing new tires on my Z06. TPMS' not functioning for whatever reason. Happened on a Friday & c/wouldn't be addressed 'til Monday.

'thougt' it had a flat it put itself in lmp mode (won't go over ~50 MPH); ergo, they woudn't release the car back to me until they could get it right.
no it did not go into " limp mode " , how do i reboot the ECM ? thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Landru
Race Director

no it did not go into " limp mode " , how do i reboot the ECM ?
Weird, if/when the ECM recieves info from one or more TPMS telling it a tire(s) are flat car's supposed to go into limp mode. If I'm misunderstanding something I'm sure someone will be along to set the record straight.

To reboot ECM disconnect battery for a few minutes, reconnect.
Doing so forces all operating data to be reloaded clearing any snafus within computer, which often happens. Try it, report whether it does/doesn't clear the warning.

IF IT doesn't, only thng I can think of would be replacing the affected TPMS as the next logical step.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

driving home yesterday i got the " Service Tire Monitor " right front
i have no flat and the tire pressure okay
what can i do to get this " service tire Monitor " off ? thanks
Did you recently put on a different set of wheels, or a new set of tire pressure sensors?

The TPMS computer in the car can only hold 4 sensor ID#'s in its memory.

When you get a new set of sensors, or a new set of wheels with a different set of sensors, the new sensors need to be programmed into the TPMS.

It sounds like your tire pressure sensors are not properly programmed into the TPMS.

There's no "rebooting of the ECM" involved to deal with tire pressure sensor problems.

Bob
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
mancobra
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Did you recently put on a different set of wheels, or a new set of tire pressure sensors?

The TPMS computer in the car can only hold 4 sensor ID#'s in its memory.

When you get a new set of sensors, or a new set of wheels with a different set of sensors, the new sensors need to be programmed into the TPMS.

It sounds like your tire pressure sensors are not properly programmed into the TPMS.

There's no "rebooting of the ECM" involved to deal with tire pressure sensor problems.

Bob
no for the new tires or wheels , it came up on the highway , just like that , i stop tire was okay , took pressure and pressure okay
someone just said to unplug battery , but that will bring in other problems no ?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
mancobra
Instructor

Weird, if/when the ECM recieves info from one or more TPMS telling it a tire(s) are flat car's supposed to go into limp mode. If I'm misunderstanding something I'm sure someone will be along to set the record straight.

Doing so forces all operating data to be reloaded clearing any snafus within computer, which often happens. Try it, report whether it does/doesn't clear the warning.

IF IT doesn't, only thng I can think of would be replacing the affected TPMS as the next logical step.
if i have no other answer i will try that and let u know if it work or not
but by doing that will i not have other problems ? like windows and so on ?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Landru
Race Director

if i have no other answer i will try that and let u know if it work or not...but by doing that will i not have other problems ? like windows and so on ?
Probably have to re-index windows, but it's easy. Take 10 seconds per side. Instructions in owner's manual.

BEZ says re-booting won't matter, but c/wouldn't hurt either.
BEZ made a good point insofar as having TPMS re-programmed IF you'd recently had tires/wheels replaced, which you didn't.

Re-booting's helped clear so many weird electonic goblins C6s experience so my thinking's why not at least try before the next step, a new TPMS monitor.

New sensor can't cost alot, and tire doesn't need to come off the wheel to replace IIRC. Breaking bead leaves enough room to instal the sensor.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Just FYI, disconnect negative (black) terminal. "Always make and break a circuit at the negative." That's the total extent of my electrical knowledge.

but that will bring in other problems no ?
Only problem is you will need to re-index your windows, just takes a minute. See the Owner's Manual for details.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Be sure to check the pressure of all four tires to make sure that the DIC is referencing the correct corner of the car. If it is not, you may not know which tire is low, only that one of them is low.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

no for the new tires or wheels , it came up on the highway.....
Just to get the terminology correct
  • the units in the wheels/tires are the "tire pressure sensors"

• the TPMS is a computer in the car (actually part of the RCDLR module), and it's the unit that receives transmissions from the tire pressure sensors and interacts with the BCM to send the pressures to the DIC.

The PCM (or ECM) doesn't have much to do at all with the TPMS, until there's a low pressure in a tire, you're running with no sensors in the wheels, or a sensor's battery dies - in that case you may get a limp mode where the TPMS, AH, and ABS come into play and may tell the PCM to pull power and put on individual brakes if you drive aggressively when the TPMS thinks you have a flat tire.

So.....I assume in addition to the "Service Tire Monitor" message, you also got a "Right Front xx psi", is that right??

Or, did you get a low pressure indication, such as "Right Front 20 psi"?

An xx psi usually means the battery in the tire pressure sensor is weak/dead.

An intermittent low pressure indication (less than 24 psi) that fluctuates usually means the sensor is going bad.

The tire pressure sensors have a design life of 10 years, but you could have one in which the battery ran down early.

When the sensors are programmed into the TPMS computer memory, the TPMS knows the location of the sensors from the order in which they are logged into the TPMS memory.

Did you ever get new tires??

If so, the shop may have mixed up the sensors and put them on a different corner of the car than they were initially on.

In that case, if the sensor that was in the right front is now in some other wheel, then when the DIC says "Right Front 20 psi" it will really be talking about a different tire - so you need to check ALL your tire pressures to find out which one really has the problem.

A remote possibility is that for some reason the sensor data stored in the TPMS computer's memory may have become corrupted, and all you need to do is reprogram the sensors into the TPMS - the video below shows how you use a TPMS tool to do the relearn procedure.

Bob

Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
mancobra
Instructor

Originally Posted by cclive
Be sure to check the pressure of all four tires to make sure that the DIC is referencing the correct corner of the car. If it is not, you may not know which tire is low, only that one of them is low.
yes , i will make sure of that . thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM
mancobra
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Just to get the terminology correct

[So.....I assume in addition to the "Service Tire Monitor" message, you also got a "Right Front xx psi", is that right??

Bob

yes thats what i got as a message Right Front xx psi
Old 05-10-2013, 08:23 AM
mancobra
Instructor

well no luck , last night i disconnected negative (black) terminal of the battery
let it sit for a while , but no luck , i guess my next step will be the dealer
anything else i can try ?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Landru
Race Director

well no luck...last night i disconnected negative (black) terminal of the battery
let it sit for a while , but no luck , i guess my next step will be the dealer...anything else i can try ?
As stated above you could have each sensor re-programmed.
But seriously if it isn't a dead sensor battery (which it very well could be) replacing the sensor's your only other choice.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

If it's not on warranty, I would go to a good tire dealer rather than a Chevy dealer.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM
mancobra
Instructor

If it's not on warranty, I would go to a good tire dealer rather than a Chevy dealer.
i have the extended warranty , but im not sure that will cover that.

Get notified of new replies

To need help ( STM )

Old 05-10-2013, 12:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

If it has a $100 deductible...go to a tire place. New sensor should be about $40 and install maybe $20.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:42 PM
mancobra
Instructor

If it has a $100 deductible...go to a tire place. New sensor should be about $40 and install maybe $20.
thanks , i did not think of that
Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 AM
mancobra
Instructor

first thank u guys for the help , i have to let u know the car sat for two days , this morning when i took it , guess what ? no more Service Tire Monitor light
i dont know why or how , but im happy
all normal now

Quick Reply: need help ( STM )