Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Gman22
CF Member
 
Gman22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Hudson Florida
Default Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices

Wondering if anyone else thinks dealers are trying to drive down C6 trade in prices to hype the C7 sales? I went to a couple of Ford dealers yesterday to check on maybe trading in my 427 60th Aniversary edition for a Raptor. Because the vette is so new they had to make calls to several chevy dealers to get an idea of value.

At each ford dealership their GM told me the chevy dealers were afraid to give any type of value because they expect C7 sales to be high and with high C7 sales it would drive down the price on the C6s.

Now one reason I purchased this corvette was value retention. Based on what I am hearing right now because of the C7s I paid 95k for a limited edition car that Chevy is trying to devalue just to push its new C7 design that I thought most corvette owners didnt care for. I am saying this in jest but the Viper sure looks like a better investment based on what I have been hearing the last few days.

If this is the case and C6s are going to suffer for C7 hype ( Yes Not A Big Fan of C7 Design ) then maybe should just dump the 427 and make my next sports car purchase either a Viper or Shelby 500 Supersnake. /Rant Off...LOL
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196
Support Corvetteforum!
 
peter pan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Converse TX
Default

No it happened when C6 arrived
peter pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Flame Red
CF Senior Member
 
Flame Red's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Windermere FL
Default

Stealership will give any excuse to give you as little as possible for your trade no matter what. If you want real market value, sell it privately. Ebay seems to get the best prices. If you don't want the hassle, then just accept their low ball offer.
Flame Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Landru
CF Senior Member
 
Landru's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne Township WI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman22 View Post
At each ford dealership their GM told me the chevy dealers were afraid to give any type of value because they expect C7 sales to be high and with high C7 sales it would drive down the price on the C6s.
What C7?
First ones won't even be delivered until late Summer/early Fall.

More likely the Ford dealers were trying to get you braced for a double whammy. LOW trad-in $$ and MSRP for the Raptor -- because Raptor's are so rare. /sar

Have you considered selling private?
Private buyers lusting over owning such a beautiful one-of-kind rocketship like yours might not be able to pony-up for a new car& will actively seek slightly pre-owned cars minus depreciation, which then becomes affordable.
Landru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Jimmy52
CF Senior Member
 
Jimmy52's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Dunedin Fl
Default

I just think all dealers just play the 'Wholesale for retail" game regardless. You get wholesaled, and they get top retail. My local Corvette dealer here in FL. was saying C6 prices are rising not decreasing. Personally, I do not like the C7 style. I've read however, that a model for $52k is going to be made available. Don't know if it's rumor or not.
Jimmy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
Gman22
CF Member
 
Gman22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Hudson Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Red View Post
Stealership will give any excuse to give you as little as possible for your trade no matter what. If you want real market value, sell it privately. Ebay seems to get the best prices. If you don't want the hassle, then just accept their low ball offer.
Even through private you are seeing lower values than expected. Someone posted on another thread that they found one for 83k with 1k miles on it.

The ford dealerships didnt even make an offer. They said they couldnt because the Chevy dealers they spoke to could not give them a value because of the C7s coming out. So I was told since they are a Ford dealer and have no idea of the value and they knew this was a specialty model they couldnt make an offer.
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Gman22
CF Member
 
Gman22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Hudson Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy52 View Post
I just think all dealers just play the 'Wholesale for retail" game regardless. You get wholesaled, and they get top retail. My local Corvette dealer here in FL. was saying C6 prices are rising not decreasing. Personally, I do not like the C7 style. I've read however, that a model for $52k is going to be made available. Don't know if it's rumor or not.
Im in Florida and this is where the information from the Chevy dealers was coming from.
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
R&L's C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman22 View Post
Wondering if anyone else thinks dealers are trying to drive down C6 trade in prices to hype the C7 sales? I went to a couple of Ford dealers yesterday to check on maybe trading in my 427 60th Aniversary edition for a Raptor. Because the vette is so new they had to make calls to several chevy dealers to get an idea of value.

At each ford dealership their GM told me the chevy dealers were afraid to give any type of value because they expect C7 sales to be high and with high C7 sales it would drive down the price on the C6s.

Now one reason I purchased this corvette was value retention. Based on what I am hearing right now because of the C7s I paid 95k for a limited edition car that Chevy is trying to devalue just to push its new C7 design that I thought most corvette owners didnt care for. I am saying this in jest but the Viper sure looks like a better investment based on what I have been hearing the last few days.

If this is the case and C6s are going to suffer for C7 hype ( Yes Not A Big Fan of C7 Design ) then maybe should just dump the 427 and make my next sports car purchase either a Viper or Shelby 500 Supersnake. /Rant Off...LOL
That seems high, what was the MSRP....
R&L's C6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy52 View Post
I just think all dealers just play the 'Wholesale for retail" game regardless. You get wholesaled, and they get top retail. My local Corvette dealer here in FL. was saying C6 prices are rising not decreasing. Personally, I do not like the C7 style. I've read however, that a model for $52k is going to be made available. Don't know if it's rumor or not.
The base model without any options is priced at $51,995 including destination charge. That's $1400 more than the base price of the outgoing C6.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Gman22
CF Member
 
Gman22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Hudson Florida
Default

Just found this on Ebay. Mine was msrp at 95,900 this one on ebay is msrp at 93,025 and selling for 82,970. There is another one on ebay at 65k for the bid. So I am getting the impression that these limited edition vettes are not currently holding their value.
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
cclive
CF Senior Member
 
cclive's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Default

You can't expect a car that is so new to hold its' value well...the biggest hit in depreciation is exactly the time period that you have chosen to own the car.
cclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
snowwolfe
CF Senior Member
 
snowwolfe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman22 View Post
Just found this on Ebay. Mine was msrp at 95,900 this one on ebay is msrp at 93,025 and selling for 82,970. There is another one on ebay at 65k for the bid. So I am getting the impression that these limited edition vettes are not currently holding their value.
The pricing you are seeing is common and normal. On a 2013 loaded GS I was able to get over $12,000 off MSRP so I am sure you were able to do the same or better.
Take 12-13K off the MSRP of what you paid and deduct maybe another 8-10k for normal depreciation and that is about what your car is worth, maybe less because it is a higher cost car to start with.

You really didn't think you could get a killer deal off MSRP then drive it for awhile and sell it without losing money did you? I just hope you didn't buy it from a non forum dealer

Buy a car and try to sell it within the first year of ownership equals lose your *** off unless you trade it in on something VERY expensive.

Last edited by snowwolfe; 05-09-2013 at 12:57 PM.
snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Gman22
CF Member
 
Gman22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Hudson Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclive View Post
You can't expect a car that is so new to hold its' value well...the biggest hit in depreciation is exactly the time period that you have chosen to own the car.
I disagree this is not a Dodge Ram or Ford Pinto.. this was promoted as a limited edition specialty corvette. If I went out and bought a Shelby GT 500 Supersnake for 110k right now and went to sell it 6 months from now I bet I get 110k or more for it. My point is any specialty limited edition car that any dealer is selling should hold its value more than the same type model without the limited edition specialty tag.
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Gman22
CF Member
 
Gman22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Hudson Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
The pricing you are seeing is common and normal. On a 2013 loaded GS I was able to get over $12,000 off MSRP so I am sure you were able to do the same or better.
Take 12-13K off the MSRP of what you paid and deduct maybe another 8-10k for normal depreciation and that is about what your car is worth, maybe less because it is a higher cost car to start with.

You really didn't think you could get a killer deal off MSRP then drive it for awhile and sell it without losing money did you? I just hope you didn't buy it from a non forum dealer

Buy a car and try to sell it within the first year of ownership equals lose your *** off unless you trade it in on something VERY expensive.
At the time I bought this one you were not getting any discounts here in Florida not to mention but this 60th Anniversary was hard to find. To be honest here in Florida they were charging market adjustments which I didnt have to pay because I know the GM of the dealership. I know he mentioned to me they got 8k more for the last one they sold similar to mine.

As for what I would be trading it for isnt very expensive but still 77k.
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
snowwolfe
CF Senior Member
 
snowwolfe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Default

A Raptor for $77K? Holy cow, how in the world could they even get the price in the low 50's?
snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
BWF07
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer
 
BWF07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Harbor not far from Sebring Florida
/jack.tipton.16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman22 View Post
I disagree this is not a Dodge Ram or Ford Pinto.. this was promoted as a limited edition specialty corvette. If I went out and bought a Shelby GT 500 Supersnake for 110k right now and went to sell it 6 months from now I bet I get 110k or more for it. My point is any specialty limited edition car that any dealer is selling should hold its value more than the same type model without the limited edition specialty tag.
First lets look at it this way, all 2013 Corvette were 60 Anniversary cars. The 427 collector edition was available in the convertible any color and they would have the 60th Annversary badges like all of the 2013 models. The only special edition was PRO Z25 that came in the Artic White with the Silver/Blue pearl stripes. So there is going to be a depressation on the car as soon as you drive it off the lot. It will most likely hold a better resale value then say a base coupe without any options, but it is not going to hold the same value as you paid for it.

As for buying a Mustang Supersnake at $110K now and getting $110K six months from now, is not likely. Oh I guess you might find someone out there that might be will to pay that much, but if you decide in six months that you want to trade it in, the dealer will not give you what you paid for it. It is like any other car they are going to lose value the minute you drive it off the lot.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
cclive
CF Senior Member
 
cclive's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Default

Keep in mind too that a dealer will use any line of reasoning that they can come up with to get your trade in at a great price. The cars that they buy from the manufacturer have a fixed price but the price they pay for trade-ins is variable and they will do all they can to make it low. They will tell you that your limited edition is meaningless and then turn around and tell a possible buyer that the limited edition is the greatest thing in the world. This is normal.
cclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Gman22
CF Member
 
Gman22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Hudson Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
A Raptor for $77K? Holy cow, how in the world could they even get the price in the low 50's?
This is for a Raptor Roush with the 20k Roush package
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
Gman22
CF Member
 
Gman22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Hudson Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
First lets look at it this way, all 2013 Corvette were 60 Anniversary cars. The 427 collector edition was available in the convertible any color and they would have the 60th Annversary badges like all of the 2013 models. The only special edition was PRO Z25 that came in the Artic White with the Silver/Blue pearl stripes. So there is going to be a depressation on the car as soon as you drive it off the lot. It will most likely hold a better resale value then say a base coupe without any options, but it is not going to hold the same value as you paid for it.

As for buying a Mustang Supersnake at $110K now and getting $110K six months from now, is not likely. Oh I guess you might find someone out there that might be will to pay that much, but if you decide in six months that you want to trade it in, the dealer will not give you what you paid for it. It is like any other car they are going to lose value the minute you drive it off the lot.
That is the one I have the PRO Z25. I have all options chevy offered on mine too many to list LOL.
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
cclive
CF Senior Member
 
cclive's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Default

To answer the original question....yes they are. They are trying to drive down the price they pay for all trade-ins.
cclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on purchasing process dckotwicki C7 General Discussion 19 06-08-2014 11:41 PM
Trade in Value Old buckeye C7 General Discussion 36 05-03-2014 01:49 AM
Spring is near (Thinking of selling / Trading) oldgoat99 C6 Corvette General Discussion 3 02-17-2014 12:43 AM
427 Convertible Build Numbers? VETTEMANN C6 Corvette General Discussion 186 05-24-2013 02:54 PM
Renegade Dealers Larry/car C7 General Discussion 50 03-05-2013 01:36 PM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Emails & Password Backup