C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Front Splash Guards Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 AM
mefly2
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 197 Posts

I finished putting on Apsis splash guards last night... how to turn what should have been a four-screw, two drilled holes, half hour job into 3 hours because the retaining clip at the bottom of the w-well arch moved out of position / sight and buried itself in the inner domain. Hint: replace the 7mm head screw with one that is even marginally longer for an easier install ... lessening the likelihood that you will blindly move the retaining clip out of position.

Although many on the forum are saying that the Apsis splash guards are molded from ABS because the color looks to be throughout, the material from which mine are constructed is unlike the characteristic softer "molded" ABS in other products. In fact, they are quite stiff - possibly even brittle - (I will let you know if that is problematic) and there are clearly layers visible when the factory-drilled mounting holes are viewed at an angle; as well, it almost looks like parts of the SG have been over sprayed with a black agent (possibly mold release?).

There is a small gap on my installation between the fender liner and the SG on the very inside portion ... the arched outer fit seems to be very good; however, I put down some clear vinyl on the wheel arch paint just in case there was abrasive movement or grinding from road silt / sand that always seems to be lifted into cracks and crevices whenever a vehicle is driven in a rain storm. The gasket material - although softer than the splash guard itself -is still a bit stiffer that I would expect from rubber; it is likely composed of somewhat flexible vinyl.

The bottom line is that they look good and get the job done...very pleased with them at this point. Nothing else that I have been able to find comes even close to the "factory -installed" look for mud/stone/splash guards on a GS/Z. Where we live and have four seasons (er, OK ... just two: road construction and winter) with which to contend, rocks / debris are an every day concern.

To verify what others have said, Jersey also told me via phone that he often has a low stock on these and that he sells mostly the wide version - especially needed on the GS and Z-cars. I am not sure if this is the latest iteration from Apsis as I got mine from a member on this great forum. Also verifying that although GM dealers may say otherwise, GM does NOT make a splash guard that will fit the GS or Z-car front wheels... they tried, ordered, and sent back... not even close on our GS. Thanks to all who have provided insight enabling us to make the correct decision for me and, especially thanks to TKOGTO.

Last edited by mefly2; 05-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 AM
deathcharge
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

APSIS splash guards are NOT ABS.

They are quote from Jersey :

they are made of special "fiber resin", not the traditional "fiber glass" that you are thinking about. Much better quality."

SO while this material may resemble ABS, it is Not. However still black all the way through nonetheless.

Last edited by deathcharge; 06-12-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I was on the APSIS web site last night and there were three splash guards mention, one was called Black Carbon. Could that be the on you are referring to?

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 06-12-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deathcharge
APSIS splash guards are NOT ABS.

They are quote from Jersey :

they are made of special "fiber resin", not the traditional "fiber glass" that you are thinking about. Much better quality."

SO while this material may resemble ABS, it is Not. However still black all the way through nonetheless.
Jersey should have posted "that" in any one of the multiple threads that have questioned what his SGs were made from.

Instead, he allowed several “misinformed” members to continuously insist the SGs were ABS plastic. I wonder how many people bought the SGs thinking they were ABS Plastic…but then again “some” people obviously don’t know the difference, so Ignorance is Bliss.

Bottom line is one has to decide whether the Apsis “fiber resin” product warrants the cost premium over traditional “fiberglass”. I don’t find that maintaining my “fiberglass” SGs is that big of a deal, but I certainly would replace them with an ABS plastic product if it were available.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Steve2150
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered mine from RPI, gotta say Josh provides excellent customer service and would reccommend his splash guards, my drivers side seemed slightly off after install he said he would return if not happy but said he would send another if I wanted, well he got back to me and said their was a problem with the mold after checking, made a new mold and sent me another one. I read hear the apsis if there is a problem will charge shipping for the replacement, Josh from RPI did not, all I can say is it is a good product so far and excellent customer service.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve2150
I ordered mine from RPI, gotta say Josh provides excellent customer service and would reccommend his splash guards, my drivers side seemed slightly off after install he said he would return if not happy but said he would send another if I wanted, well he got back to me and said their was a problem with the mold after checking, made a new mold and sent me another one. I read hear the apsis if there is a problem will charge shipping for the replacement, Josh from RPI did not, all I can say is it is a good product so far and excellent customer service.
I agree on the service and the product. Mine have been on the car for about 5500 miles and no real problem with chipping or white spots. Highly recommended.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Viz
Instructor

Trying to decide on which (APSIS or RPI) front guards to use on my Z06. I've read all of the comments, but still haven't seen images that help in making the decision. When you comment on what APSIS front guard you have, can you mention which (narrow or wide) one you have and perhaps add a photo? The APSIS website is lacking on showing the details of both (side by side would have been nice).

Likewise on the RPI, I just can't get a good image of what theirs looks like, size wise, compared to either of the APSIS ones.

Yeah, I know, this topic has been kicked around ad nauseum.

Viz
Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Problem is that most of the pictures you see of splash guards are on dark color cars. Because of this, you really can not see how far they stick out. If you have side skirts, they probably look better, but in my opinion, they are too over bearing from the front side view of the car without side skirts.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:18 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Viz
Trying to decide on which (APSIS or RPI) front guards to use on my Z06. I've read all of the comments, but still haven't seen images that help in making the decision. When you comment on what APSIS front guard you have, can you mention which (narrow or wide) one you have and perhaps add a photo? The APSIS website is lacking on showing the details of both (side by side would have been nice).

Likewise on the RPI, I just can't get a good image of what theirs looks like, size wise, compared to either of the APSIS ones.

Yeah, I know, this topic has been kicked around ad nauseum.

Viz
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 AM
RPI Designs
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16 -'17

Originally Posted by Bob Yocum
I put the RPI front splash guards on mine and satisfied with them
Thank you sir!

4000+ C5/C6/C7 Parts & accessories - Forum members get 10% off with SS2007 coupon at checkout

Like us on www.facebook.com/rpidesigns and you might win $100.

Our brand new C7 Corvette Z06 Style Side Skirts come painted in Carbon Flash Metallic, see them here!

email: rpi.designs.customerservice@gmail.com Web: www.rpidesigns.com
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 AM
AddisonD
Pro

If anything in this thread had lead me to consider getting the Apsis guards, this thread right here would have ended that plan:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-me-dead.html
Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 AM
GS2013RTINT
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RPI Front splash guards look great and have a good fit. $200 cheaper too!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by N2TU
Me too!...and I like them....APSIS prices are way outta line...
I first used APSIS splash guards when there were no alternatives on my '12 Grand Sport. It was OK in terms of fit, but not perfect by any means. In other words, I was able to make it work and look good from outside, but it was nowhere near the snug fit you'd expect from an OEM product. I especially don't like the gaps inside the wheel well, which makes it collect dirt, not to mention the gaps by the bottom. The gasket's fitment is also not perfect, which is visible from outside when you look closely.

For my '13 Z06, I bought the RPI splash guards (their first version). It was a pretty bad fitment at the driver's side as others have also mentioned. I had to literally bend it to make it work and was very disappointed, but eventually made it work. The gasket also was not glued all the way. I made a mistake of using too much epoxy to glue the gasket back, and pretty much ruined the mud flaps. To fix it, I used sprayed paint, but this time made the mistake of using gloss paint, which made it a bit too shiny. Anyway, I did not want to put yet another layer of paint on it, and was back on market due to this.

I first checked with Apsis and asked what would be the price for a set for a forum member. As others have also mentioned, I was not given any discount and felt that the response could be a bit kinder. The price was $298 and even the simple gasket is for extra charge at $25. No matter how you look at it, the price is outrageous. In my eyes, it is no different than the greedy Chevrolet dealers in my area who can ask $10K over sticker for any sports-car on demand. If their product was perfect, I could perhaps be less opposed, but as I mentioned above, it's nowhere near perfect.

In the end I checked back with RPI on the fitment issue of my current set (and told them how I ruined it with my blunders as well), and I am glad that I did. Josh told me that they re-designed the guards about 4 weeks ago, and let me order another set with a deep discount since I had issues with my first set.

I am overseas right now, but will be installing the new set when I get back to states on June 28th. I'm looking forward to install the new set. I will update this thread back with the fitment of the new design once I'm done with the install.

Last edited by X25; 06-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm happy with my Apsis splash guards on my GS.......easy install and great fitment.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AddisonD
If anything in this thread had lead me to consider getting the Apsis guards, this thread right here would have ended that plan:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-me-dead.html

Not the first thread like that and it won’t be the last.

Last edited by Cypher; 06-14-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AddisonD
Not a good review at all.

I'm at almost 10k miles and have no damage. I'm thinking the way to best save money on these is to simply pass. Thus, I won't have any install issues.
I tend to agree. I just turned 10K miles on my 2012 GS and did a detail last week end. I found 2 very small chips on the driver side rear brake scoop and nothing else. So I'm not sure where I normally drive has enough road debris to worry about.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Red Tabby
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just installed the RPI's on my 2013 Grand Sport. The passenger side went on great but the drivers side seems a litter shorter on the top as it does not extend as far forward as the passenger side bynabout 3/4". Also the bottom where it meets the inside fender liner there is a gap to trap rocks and debris, etc not on the passenger side. Seems like the bend might be slightly off.
I am happy with my RPI guards. After reading Steve's comment about the gap where the guard hits the inner liner, I looked at mine and have the same situation.

Do others with RPI guards have this gap too?

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Front Splash Guards Grand Sport

Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Bob Yocum
I put the RPI front splash guards on mine and satisfied with them

Put the RPIs on my 2012 Grand Sport. APSIS pricing is beyond Corvette Tax...

The RPIs are just fine...not need to get pay for the APSIS...IMHO.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

[QUOTE=Red Tabby;1584295981]I am happy with my RPI guards. After reading Steve's comment about the gap where the guard hits the inner liner, I looked at mine and have the same situation.

Do others with RPI guards have this gap too?

No mine fit great, been on for over a year and no problems.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:26 AM
VetteNinja69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought cleartastic, but never felt the need to put them on I never had any noticeable rock chips anywhere including the rear fenders of my Z06. Last January I had replica zr1 side skirts with the attached rear splash guard and I also purchased a front splash guard. I now have hundreds of rock chips on my rear fender. 2 years without splash guard and side skirts almost nothing, 1 year 5 months with them hundreds of damm chips and the rear sections of the side skirts take a big time beating as well.

Quick Reply: Front Splash Guards Grand Sport