C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Most of the above posts say it all about those crappy tires. I am surprised that there haven't been multiple lawsuits against GM because of the dangerous aspects of these tires after 5+K miles. I think GM using Michelin on the later Zs and C7 says it all.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The fuuny thing about this forum is that when somebody with major credibility speaks nobody says nothing about his view on the subject. Me on the other hand who has zero cred only post to what i think may or may not be helpful on a subject. Bill Dearborn gives basically a glowing review for the GY's on this thread and not ONE of you guys dare say anything bad or negative about the GY's in his post. Me on the other hand who is a nobody I ask a question and everybody comes out of the woodwork slamming the GY's. Not so when Bill Dearborn speaks on the same topic. A lot of two faced people on this forum. I think half the people chime in on subjects to bad mouth the product just because everybody else does.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Im sure its been said but they SUCK!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by boraxman
Im sure its been said but they SUCK!
Yes many times over but how come not one person took Bill's quote and slammed it. But i'm sure now that I mentioned it people will slam it just to be spiteful and resentful that I did mention it.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Opinions are like *******s.

I don't have experience with the supercars but I can tell you the GY EMT's are straight trash.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
The fuuny thing about this forum is that when somebody with major credibility speaks nobody says nothing about his view on the subject. Me on the other hand who has zero cred only post to what i think may or may not be helpful on a subject. Bill Dearborn gives basically a glowing review for the GY's on this thread and not ONE of you guys dare say anything bad or negative about the GY's in his post. Me on the other hand who is a nobody I ask a question and everybody comes out of the woodwork slamming the GY's. Not so when Bill Dearborn speaks on the same topic. A lot of two faced people on this forum. I think half the people chime in on subjects to bad mouth the product just because everybody else does.

You were the OP. So, you got the responses.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Havent read all the posts or Bill's thread, just speaking from personal experience...Why..
Bad thread life
Lots of noise
Bad traction
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 89L98
You were the OP. So, you got the responses.
Oh I'm not complaining I knew these would pretty much be the answers but it would have been interesting if Bill Dearborn started this thread instead of me. Ok lets hear some more feedback on the GY's as this was the purpose of the thread to begin with.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 AM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Low mileage ware factor, noisy, hard riding and not good in cold weather and I live in Florida.
What he said, and I live in Wa. state where it is cooler and wetter
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Oh I'm not complaining I knew these would pretty much be the answers but it would have been interesting if Bill Dearborn started this thread instead of me. Ok lets hear some more feedback on the GY's as this was the purpose of the thread to begin with.
yeah that about sums it up and I would tend to agree with your Original Post and Bill's post
In my experience going by hundreds of posts, the Super Car tires are for a specific application....
Hot weather, Track use, Soft grippy rubber compound with fast wear and suck in low temperatures.
Ride rougher than most tires, noisy and harden quickly.
On the other hand, the OEM GY's GS-2 tires on my 09 Coupe w/ F55 are nothing like that compared to all the bad reports on OEM GY's.

At 14,000 my OEM GY GS-2's looked new, but I replaced them with Michelin A/S ZP tires for cold weather in Spring and Fall.
Yes the GY's lose noticeable grip in colder temps but that's a given
After 2,000 miles with the Mich A/S I can say they ride better and grip great in all temperatures.
But, the ride is only slightly better .. noticeable,. but not by much, and as far noise, they are quiet but no quieter than the OEM GY GS-2 tires.
On a newly paved Highway, the GY's were dead quiet while the Mich are quiet but,have a slight singing sound which I'm sure is from the Tread design.
I can see why the PS2's etc, are quieter with a smoother tread pattern.
IMO, there is definitely better tires out there, but the GY's serve their intended purpose.
They're just not the best choice for the majority.
Of course there are those wanting a tire that grips like glue but then not happy when they wear out too fast.
There are better tires that do grip great with better wear, but it's all relative.
IMO, kind of hard to have extreme grip and long wear in one tire
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

They've been fine for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:59 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring
All the above plus the Michelins were the same and cheaper in comparison. So far I really like the PS ZP's

I've ran 4 or 5 sets of SuperCars and wore them out at around 15,000 miles.
My '06 lasted exactly 14,800--which is when I traded it in after buying a new set of Contis. The treadwear is what, 200-220, and they weren't kidding. No complaints about the tires--crappy in cold weather, but all summer ultra high performance tires are. Never in snow, so didn't have that bad ju-ju. The new F1 EMTs have a 300 treadware, so I would expect 20k out of them. A 1/3 improvement in tire life isn't bad. The Contis had a 320, as I recall, but never saw them on the car. The dealer put them on my '06 after I got the '13. Price/performance comes into play. You can get just as good, or better, runflats for less money, and much better non-RFs for much less. But as OEMs, I found them to be decent.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dif
yeah that about sums it up and I would tend to agree with your Original Post and Bill's post
In my experience going by hundreds of posts, the Super Car tires are for a specific application....

After 2,000 miles with the Mich A/S I can say they ride better and grip great in all temperatures.
But, the ride is only slightly better .. noticeable,. but not by much, and as far noise, they are quiet but no quieter than the OEM GY GS-2 tires.
On a newly paved Highway, the GY's were dead quiet while the Mich are quiet but,have a slight singing sound which I'm sure is from the Tread design.
I pretty much feel exactly as you regarding both tires (GY's and MICHELINS ) And the funny thing is when I put the super sports on my '12 coupe I noticed the same thing you did and I had mentioned this in another thread that I was in, SOMEWHAT NOISY as compared to the oem's. I was driving down a long stretch of highway on a very well paved road and I hear this like swishing air singing sound and I said what the hell is that. The oem GY's were always dead quiet. So in a nutshell the GY's do it for me for my style of driving no problem. I also like the wide stance they portray from their square shoulders where the MICHELIN'S do not. I even went one size up on my '12 coupe to try and keep that fat look but to no avail. Even one size up they still looked skinnier than the oem sized GY's and that bothered me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at NHRA when top fuel and funny car had to use GY and still do .The amount of cars that were lost to the GY tires were extensive .
Now GY fixed the problem and they don't wreck as often.
If their was another thread about GY no matter who wrote it I would have flamed it also ,not all of us pay attention to all the threads on here all the time.Who remembers the gatorback tires they sucked also
Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure who this Bill Dearborn is and I did not read his article! However, in my experience, the GY tires are just plain expensive garbage! I do not have one good thing to say about them or run flats in general. Did you note that the Tesla S does not come with run flats or an on board compressor, etc. Smart folks to not put junk on their mighty fine electric car....
Old 05-11-2013, 03:13 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Over many year with the Goodyears, I've been very satisfied with them. I don't agree with the complaints about them. I've not had tread wear issues, nor noise issues, nor hard riding issue and on top of that I've also had the Michelin Pilot Sports which were not run-flat and Goodyears which were not run-flats.

I'm perfectly satisfied with Michelins, but I'm also perfectly satisfied with the Goodyears. Clearly, the Goodyears which provide the best all around service and tread life are the those that are standard on the coupe and convertible. The Z51 package or the GS changes the equation, but again I've still been very satisfied with the Goodyears. Currently, I have both brands since my 427 Convertible came with Michelins, and my '09 convertible has Goodyears.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mac-427
if you had 75% tread left after 17k miles, then they are just fine for your driving style gramps!

Remarks like the above are a sure sign of a person lacking in maturity and judgement. Hardly the attitude necessary for driving high performance cars on the street.
Sounds like a few of you took quite a bit of offense from my comment. Must have hit a nerve? Don't get your panties in a wad and play the immaturity card. I've been driving high hp cars "on the street" for about 15 years now. Btw my vette is not the fastest by a long shot so save the advice.

My day job is piloting airliners so let's go ahead and talk about attitude and judgement all day you slowpokes.

Get notified of new replies

To Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's

Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fastskyline
Sounds like a few of you took quite a bit of offense from my comment. Must have hit a nerve? Don't get your panties in a wad and play the immaturity card. I've been driving high hp cars "on the street" for about 15 years now. Btw my vette is not the fastest by a long shot so save the advice.

My day job is piloting airliners so let's go ahead and talk about attitude and judgement all day you slowpokes.
Hope I don't get grumpy and judgemental when I get old like them
Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Mac-427
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Goodyear's

Yeah Skyline and I understand how airline pilots always have to have the last word to establish their authority. It's tough to direct a bunch of flight attendants. Keep speedin dude. To each his own.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:46 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've replaced my front F1 Supercars twice and the rears only once. I now have 42,000 miles on the vehicle and just switched to non-runflats. I'm running BFGoodrich Comp 2's in stock sizes.

I never had a problem with the GY S/C's at all, except their price.
I never had a problem hearing my radio like so many other posts I've read. Actually, they were never, ever noisy. They always gripped like an SOB and my G meter has often gone over 1.0 in the back roads here in WNC. (I don't drive it in winter).

Probably my only beef:
When I ran the quarter mile at Bristol, I had a difficult time getting them to hook up and my 60' time in 6 seperate runs was never less than 2.4 seconds (which is bad for a C6). My best time with that 2.4 60' was 13.0 at 113 mph. My launch technique could use some work...
I've also been told running 1/4 mile runs is a waste of time with ANY street tire.

My car is a 2008 convertible, MZ6 (manual with Z51 option) that I've had since new.

Quick Reply: Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's