C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:29 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by fastskyline
Sounds like a few of you took quite a bit of offense from my comment. Must have hit a nerve? Don't get your panties in a wad and play the immaturity card. I've been driving high hp cars "on the street" for about 15 years now. Btw my vette is not the fastest by a long shot so save the advice.

My day job is piloting airliners so let's go ahead and talk about attitude and judgement all day you slowpokes.
there are a couple of aholes on the forum, sound like little girlie boy's to me. maybe one day they'll grow up, i doubt it.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mac-427
Yeah Skyline and I understand how airline pilots always have to have the last word to establish their authority. It's tough to direct a bunch of flight attendants. Keep speedin dude. To each his own.
What are you even talking about??? Seriously, that was an ignorant thing to say.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I always envy the guys that can stay out of it when a Vanquish or a Gt 500 pulls up and you have a clear rd ahead. Told the Vanquish (edit)....his car sounded great too. Now for the new tire bill and PS2 ZP's on back only, (front replaced PS2 ZP's last year 22k) 1319.96 after taxes and free replacement warr (extra 137).

Stepping on the throttle is like peeling out 100 dollar bills from your wallet! 2nd set on front 3rd set on rear 25k miles Happy to be called gramps now even if I am not one yet.

Oh the problems we Vette owners face!

Last edited by Magneson; 05-12-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: not disclosing illegal activities ;)
Old 05-12-2013, 01:04 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Magneson
I always envy the guys that can stay out of it when a Vanquish or a Gt 500 pulls up and you have a clear rd ahead. Told the Vanquish (edit)....his car sounded great too. Now for the new tire bill and PS2 ZP's on back only, (front replaced PS2 ZP's last year 22k) 1319.96 after taxes and free replacement warr (extra 137).

Stepping on the throttle is like peeling out 100 dollar bills from your wallet! 2nd set on front 3rd set on rear 25k miles Happy to be called gramps now even if I am not one yet.

Oh the problems we Vette owners face!
there are those that should not be on the vette forum due to the fact they don't respect other members. it's supposed to be a friendly type atmosphere where you ask questions/ offer answers to other vette owners.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Mac-427
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Billy, I am in complete agreement and appreciate your comments. This thread began as a civil discussion on tires until certain people began throwing around age related terms in a pejorative, uncivil way. My philosophy is simple. He who starts throwing personal insults is going to get some back. As for me, my interest is in obtaining information not drama. On the other hand, I will challenge insulting people who make personal remarks with personal remarks of my own .
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I just bought a '12 GS Coupe Thursday and I already dislike the OEM Goodyear tires Chevy put on the car. I immediately noticed they transmit a lot of road noise and seem to ride rough.

By contrast the OEM Goodyears on my '12 ZO6 seem to be MUCH better. They say Eagle F1 Supercar just like on the GS but are a different tread pattern - I feel too lazy to get off my butt and go to the garage and see if there is a difference in the "fine print" on the side wall- but they seem to be much better than these original equipment tires on the GS.

Perhaps some member who knows the difference between ZO6 and GS factory tires can educate me.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:23 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Magneson
Whenever a tire salesman sees a big smoky burnout, he probably grins from ear to ear.

That having been said, after a stressful day at work jumping in the Corvette and inducing a little tire spin can be medicine for the soul. I am grinning right along with the tire salesman.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
because they suck in comparison to just about everything else
100%
Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
there are those that should not be on the vette forum due to the fact they don't respect other members. it's supposed to be a friendly type atmosphere where you ask questions/ offer answers to other vette owners.
Everyone can have their say in a respectful way. None of us is getting any younger. It used to be that "elders" were respected. More and more though it seems disrespect is the norm. Sad. Like I said though, nice to have our problems!

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
Whenever a tire salesman sees a big smoky burnout, he probably grins from ear to ear.

That having been said, after a stressful day at work jumping in the Corvette and inducing a little tire spin can be medicine for the soul. I am grinning right along with the tire salesman.
Medicine I can't afford . Everything has its place and it seems even turning hard into a driveway eats the tires....I do agree it is one heck of a nice day when I go for a drive.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My granddaughter is 30 years old and I have Bridgestones on my Z06.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
I just bought a '12 GS Coupe Thursday and I already dislike the OEM Goodyear tires Chevy put on the car. I immediately noticed they transmit a lot of road noise and seem to ride rough.

By contrast the OEM Goodyears on my '12 ZO6 seem to be MUCH better. They say Eagle F1 Supercar just like on the GS but are a different tread pattern - I feel too lazy to get off my butt and go to the garage and see if there is a difference in the "fine print" on the side wall- but they seem to be much better than these original equipment tires on the GS.

Perhaps some member who knows the difference between ZO6 and GS factory tires can educate me.
Could be you have both the Goodyear Supercar and the Goodyear Supercar G:2(second generation).
Old 05-12-2013, 03:59 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Could be you have both the Goodyear Supercar and the Goodyear Supercar G:2(second generation).
Possible. Funny is that my ZO6 was built 11/11 and my GS was built 12/11 but they most definitely have different tires.

Here is a shot showing the tires on my ZO6. Not the best shot, but the tread pattern is visible. I realized I have better pics... but not on this computer.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by red2012
The fuuny thing about this forum is that when somebody with major credibility speaks nobody says nothing about his view on the subject. Me on the other hand who has zero cred only post to what i think may or may not be helpful on a subject. Bill Dearborn gives basically a glowing review for the GY's on this thread and not ONE of you guys dare say anything bad or negative about the GY's in his post. Me on the other hand who is a nobody I ask a question and everybody comes out of the woodwork slamming the GY's. Not so when Bill Dearborn speaks on the same topic. A lot of two faced people on this forum. I think half the people chime in on subjects to bad mouth the product just because everybody else does.
Well, first of all, not everyone. And secondly, how is anyone supposed to "argue" the points with a trackhound like Dearborn? That everyone doesn't agree with his experience, well, either they are wrong, or their opinion is quite a bit different. And those opposed opinions could be based on A) "air ball", B) waking up on wrong side of bed, C) nothing at all, or D) etc.

It doesn't mean everyone is two-faced altho some might be. I think anyone just has to pick thru the opinions and decide which ones make sense and which are bravado and BS. You would be surprised how that becomes less complicated, the more you see threads and posts on similar topics. As the saying goes, after awhile you can tell who is talkin' smack,
and who knows of what they speak. Don't be deterred!

Oh, I had some Bridgestone engineers near Gila Bend tell me I was being too gentle on MY tires (Brdge, at the time) because I was getting too many miles from them. I laffed and said, "Needing a raise, our we?"

Last edited by AORoads; 05-12-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I will say this for Goodyear. I had a problem with a tire and they paid for the replacement, despite the fact that it was out of warranty and the problem was not particularly their fault. Not many companies would have done this.

Quick Reply: Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's