C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires for a C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
TeaMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Tires for a C6

Sorry for doing this, but I'd like to get some advice on tires for a C6. I put a Firestone run flat on it last time I changed them and got over 30,000 miles out of them. I don't need a really sticky tire, more of a highway, cruising tire would be fine.

I know tire composition changes all the time, so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation of a more highway, cruising tire that will get some extended life like the tires I have. It can be any brand, I'm not brand specific. Just want to see if anyone else is in the same boat of more highway/cruising and wants a tire that lasts a while.

Recommendations please, and if you wouldn't mind, Why also.

Thanks
TeaMan
Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaMan
Thread started in the Z06 forum, but it'd apply to all Corvettes.
Have a read what other members had to say:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...re-thread.html

Personally I've had to replace tires on my last three Corvettes ('03 AE/C6 Z51/Z06) at ~10K. My cars are never flogged or tracked, ust liesurely cruising. Went with Bridestone's Pole Position RFs each time, never looked back.

PPs are quiter, have just as much grip (more if GYs are >5K) than GY's product on their best day, cost a LOT less than GY & best of all last longer than any GY could.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

OP's Firestone runflats are an excellent choice. The official Firestone policy is that you can't repair them, must buy a new tire. But often you need a new tire anyway because of the size/shape/location of the hole; and some shops ignore the "Lawyers Gone Wild" Firestone policy.

Another good choice is the Michelin A/S+ runflat, better than the Firestones in cold or light snow (that happens in MN, right?), but not quite as grippy in summer.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

Mich Pilot Sport 2's....amazing tire
Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

My tire of choice is the Michelin P/S A/S RFT. That said if you got 30k out of the Firestone I would be staying with those.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am anxious to see how the C7 stock tire from Michelin will work on my C6. They are not available just yet are they?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by 42Chevy
My tire of choice is the Michelin P/S A/S RFT. That said if you got 30k out of the Firestone I would be staying with those.
my sentiments exactly, why go away from a 30,000 mile tire !
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

Sorry for doing this, but I'd like to get some advice on tires for a C6. I put a Firestone run flat on it last time I changed them and got over 30,000 miles out of them. I don't need a really sticky tire, more of a highway, cruising tire would be fine.

I know tire composition changes all the time, so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation of a more highway, cruising tire that will get some extended life like the tires I have. It can be any brand, I'm not brand specific. Just want to see if anyone else is in the same boat of more highway/cruising and wants a tire that lasts a while.

Thanks
TeaMan
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ling%20Package

I have these on my new to me 2005 Z51 C6- Before I bought the car I read the tire review on tire rack for both street and highway...they get very good reviews for the price of the tire....

So far (not a lot of miles on them yet) they are excellent quiet tires on the highway. They stick well and with the Z51 suspension, seem to really offer great cornering that compliments the stiffer suspension.

Time will tell how they run out on miles, but I am pretty happy so far...oh, they are not run flats...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by byte_me
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ling%20Package

I have these on my new to me 2005 Z51 C6- Before I bought the car I read the tire review on tire rack for both street and highway...they get very good reviews for the price of the tire....

So far (not a lot of miles on them yet) they are excellent quiet tires on the highway. They stick well and with the Z51 suspension, seem to really offer great cornering that compliments the stiffer suspension.

Time will tell how they run out on miles, but I am pretty happy so far...oh, they are not run flats...
I have these tires and like them so far... But my next tire will be a set of hankook Ventus rs-3 I know someone who has these tires and he uses them for street and auto x and they always do great on the track... SO they will be my next set to try out.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I would say that if you found a good tire with good mileage, stay with it.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikado463
my sentiments exactly, why go away from a 30,000 mile tire !
Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2010 Grand Sport gets a set of Michelin SS on Friday. Oversized.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 AM
TeaMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great advice on the tires. I didn't just jump into the Firestones again because so much changes in technology, I wanted to see if there was anything better now.

I do have a question for Non runflats. I saw one recommendation was for them. What do you do if you get a flat? I guess I've never had anything happen to where I actually needed to use the run flat option, but guess it could happen and if nothing else it gives a piece of mind. On the other hand, they are more expensive and as with the Firestone legally can't be patched. On the set I have now, at least three of them have been patched. I don't know why, but tires seem to attract nails and such. I had slow leaks and at least one of the repairs, they said it was against Firestone policy to patch it, but did so anyway and said if something happened they would deny it. This was a corvette dealership in Dallas. If I remember correctly they didn't charge me either. Car was in for other work at the time. They didn't want to get into a liability, which I can respect. At least they helped me out anyway.

Just curious if anyone has a good solution for the lack of a spare and no run flats.

Teaman
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Kumho exsta 320 WR getting about 25,000 out of a set and will run circles around a RF and very little road noise
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 42Chevy
Same here, 30K and you're happy, not going to do much better than that! I also have those same Mich RF's on mine.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks for all the great advice on the tires. I didn't just jump into the Firestones again because so much changes in technology, I wanted to see if there was anything better now.

I do have a question for Non runflats. I saw one recommendation was for them. What do you do if you get a flat? I guess I've never had anything happen to where I actually needed to use the run flat option, but guess it could happen and if nothing else it gives a piece of mind. On the other hand, they are more expensive and as with the Firestone legally can't be patched. On the set I have now, at least three of them have been patched. I don't know why, but tires seem to attract nails and such. I had slow leaks and at least one of the repairs, they said it was against Firestone policy to patch it, but did so anyway and said if something happened they would deny it. This was a corvette dealership in Dallas. If I remember correctly they didn't charge me either. Car was in for other work at the time. They didn't want to get into a liability, which I can respect. At least they helped me out anyway.

Just curious if anyone has a good solution for the lack of a spare and no run flats.

Teaman
Most carry a plug kit and a small compressor. Personally, I don't want to be crawling under the car plugging a tire. If you like to road trip go with R/F's, if you are a mostly local cruiser you can probably go non R/F. I got 2 flats on my original G/Y RF's and drove home both times (20-30 miles), no problems.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Contiential DWS's would probably be a great cruising tire for you that would last 50,000+ mile.

Get notified of new replies

To New Tires for a C6

Quick Reply: New Tires for a C6