C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius XM and one year? READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Sirius XM and one year? READ THIS

so typically I throw away all correspondence from these guys, as I don't want to even read their sales pitch, let alone have them call me. For some reason, I opened this one up. here is the verbage:

According to our records, you purchased or leased a gm vehicle that included an introductory subscription to Sirius xm. Undortunately, we think some customers didn't receive their full subscription. Steps have been taken to reactivate and reinstate your service for another twelve months.

if you are still not receiving Sirius xm radio, we can send another signal to reactivate your service. simply go to siriusxm.com/refresh, or call 1 855 my refresh. you will need the radio id to request the refresh signal.

So boys and girls, check your mail.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Just don't talk to a human or give CC info.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

agreed.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't pay any any attention to any of this. My recent car came with XM and never listened to it, so didn't care when it went away. When I bought the car, the dealer was pestering me about pushing the Onstar blue button, but never did. This was followed by more dealer phone calls and radio messages. I didn't ask for the service included, so they finally went away, when I pulled the the panel fuse. My home Dish network includes Sirius radio I some times listen to in the home office, but I don't pay anything extra for it, nor hear a word about it.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

I actually spend a lot of time in my cars, driving in excess of fifty k miles per year, and enjoy not listening to commercials all of the time. I use Pandora, regular radio, ipod on different occasions. if I can get it turned back on for a year for free, it gives me another option, especially since technically we paid for it at the purchase f the car.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:44 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

READ everything very carefully before doing this. It could be in the terms and conditions that even though you don't give any CC info that you are agreeing to be billed for a specific period once the free period is up.

I'm just a pessimist with these type of things. I just don't see them offering up service when you have not complained about not getting your free introductory service. Could be that they are totally on the up and up with no strings. Could be they just hope you will take advantage of the free service and fall in love and decide to sign-up when the free service term is up. However, it could be that somewhere in the fine print on the website it says that by entering your radio ID and clicking the link to refresh you agree to pay for the service for a year or two once the free period has elapsed.

Just remember, you do not have to give them your CC info to be obligated for the service. They can simply send you a bill in the mail and if you don't pay it they can turn it over to collections and you will end up having to pay and most likely take a hit to your credit report.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:04 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
READ everything very carefully before doing this. It could be in the terms and conditions that even though you don't give any CC info that you are agreeing to be billed for a specific period once the free period is up.

I'm just a pessimist with these type of things. I just don't see them offering up service when you have not complained about not getting your free introductory service. Could be that they are totally on the up and up with no strings. Could be they just hope you will take advantage of the free service and fall in love and decide to sign-up when the free service term is up. However, it could be that somewhere in the fine print on the website it says that by entering your radio ID and clicking the link to refresh you agree to pay for the service for a year or two once the free period has elapsed.

Just remember, you do not have to give them your CC info to be obligated for the service. They can simply send you a bill in the mail and if you don't pay it they can turn it over to collections and you will end up having to pay and most likely take a hit to your credit report.
Good thinking ! I had that happen to me with a Canadian company and had to fight them to there end!! I live in Hawaii so anyone around the world can nail you for a bill you never authorized and you have to spend the money to fight them
Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I don't have service (bought car used a 2010), HOWEVER...

My last car was an Audi I bought in 2009 as a CPO. Came complimentary with 90 days of Sirius from the dealer. I sold the car last month in 2013 with that complimentary service still running!!!

I kept getting things in the mail to reactivate your service at a low rate etc etc etc yet I go started the car and bam service still on.

I told the place I sold it to enjoy free sat radio in this car for life..

I may sign up for it but I just checked pricing...it's a tad on the high side ($15-18/mo). I'd do it for half that price but not at that amount. It's a little absurd.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Funny, I read a lot about Sirius nightmares when giving them your credit card. I have been giving them mine for a number of years and never had a problem. As long as i call them and cancel before the service expires, I have no problems, service cancelled and I wait for the next offer to show up in the mail. ($25 for 6 months service). Usually, they offer me the same deal when I cancel.

Guess, I am one of the lucky ones.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I must be one of the luckier guys with Sirius Xm. I have had it in all of my 5 previous vehicles. When the subscription ended, I would renew for 6 months only & use a debit card. I was never overcharged or renewed automatically without a notification or a call. If it was, I just had my bank deny the debit transaction. I/m due again in June but I'll only renew for another 6 months for now.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

Fine print :

There is no cost or obligation to you for the Sirius xm tria lsubscription. you will not be billed for any service unless you choose to call and subscribe at the end of the trial period.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the sound quality very inferior to ipod/cd.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Tide Will Roll!
I find the sound quality very inferior to ipod/cd.
I found tethering an iPod to my android phone and voila free pandora radio...forget the satellite radio
Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
Funny, I read a lot about Sirius nightmares when giving them your credit card. I have been giving them mine for a number of years and never had a problem. As long as i call them and cancel before the service expires, I have no problems, service cancelled and I wait for the next offer to show up in the mail. ($25 for 6 months service). Usually, they offer me the same deal when I cancel.

Guess, I am one of the lucky ones.
Just cancelled on my wife's G5 Pontiac and my '12 CRV. Of course, they sent me to someone who spoke English, and I reupped each for $50 total for 5 months. It's worth it in those cars; in the Vette, I still haven't used it so won't extend it beyond the 3 months, or whatever. Not that I don't like it, but I don't drive the Vette to listen to the radio. Now car songs from the '60s on CDs, that's another story.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I have had the 6-12 month complimentary satellite radio in my last three cars. I tried it a couple of times and was extremely unimpressed, so I never "re-upped". I for one would not pay a nickel for satellite radio.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
crtaylor59
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're one of the lucky ones....I bought my 2011 brand new off the showroom floor last July, and after 3 months XM shut it off. I called, my salesman called XM, and they said it was a used car.....we sent them a copy of the window sticker, and they said they would prioritize it to customer service to give me the remaining 9 months that GM sticker said I was entitled to.....XM turned it back on, but then shut it off again a month later....we went through the same BS again with XM, and trying to talk to someone who spoke English....(not happening)......they turned it back on, and now I am waiting for it to go off again......then I get bills from them to my house that have names I have never heard of with my address on them.....I call and talk to someone again named Linda from India.....go figure, telling them I better not get any more bills from them with someone's else name on them to my address...I am fed up with XM and their BS customer service.......sorry for the rant....good luck to you and XM.....
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

2lt and up new ones are supposed to get a year free...they knew nothing about it when i picked mine up last month....we'll see when the time comes.

Get notified of new replies

To Sirius XM and one year? READ THIS

Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

No one should take from my comments that I have had a problem with XM either. You just have to stay on top of your account and know when it is going to expire and take the necessary action to cancel or negotiate for a low rate. Otherwise, you will get hammered with the full cost because all accounts are set to automatically renew. Regardless if you are billed through the mail or via CC.

In fact, I will probably jinx myself by saying, but one of my 3 cars that are XM capable has been getting free service since I bought it going on 4 years now. The dealer activated it and I never signed up for it and it never shut off after the year was up.

The bottom line is more and more companies are using the auto renewal game for everything these days so you have to read carefully and opt out when you can and when you can't, know when the service contract is going to expire and call and take the necessary action before it auto renews on you.

Businesses use the auto renew because they know most customers are either lazy or will forget to call and cancel or negotiate for a better rate until it's too late. Unfortunately, they are mostly right. You see lot's of threads here from guys complaining they got screwed by XM, but in fact it was probably their own fault for not knowing the rules and failing to do what was necessary.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

No issues .........Mine has never worked from day one. No module !
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,142 Posts

Originally Posted by flange
so typically I throw away all correspondence from these guys, as I don't want to even read their sales pitch, let alone have them call me. For some reason, I opened this one up. here is the verbage:

According to our records, you purchased or leased a gm vehicle that included an introductory subscription to Sirius xm. Undortunately, we think some customers didn't receive their full subscription. Steps have been taken to reactivate and reinstate your service for another twelve months.

if you are still not receiving Sirius xm radio, we can send another signal to reactivate your service. simply go to siriusxm.com/refresh, or call 1 855 my refresh. you will need the radio id to request the refresh signal.

So boys and girls, check your mail.
Yes I got this letter too and I think I had a 5 month intro subscription, so my trial was up. Now I noticed I also have the full lineup of channels. They don't have my CC so I will enjoy it for however it happened. In fact I am pretty impressed with it and was looking to subscribe anyway.

Quick Reply: Sirius XM and one year? READ THIS