C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is normal engine temps, LS2

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default This is normal engine temps, LS2

Just to tame down the people all the time worrying about engine temps, this is what it should look like when you drive normally. (LS2 engine Z51, no dry sump, 4.5L 5w30 Mobile1 filled)

On a highway or low traffic road in 0C (32F) to 20C (68F) temperatures:
Coolant temp: 90C (194F)
Engine Oil Temp: 100C (212F)

If you push your car harder, or drive in traffic, temps easily rise accordingly until you let it cool or drive like above again:
Coolant temp: 100C (212F) to 105C (221F)
Engine Oil Temp: 110C (230F)

If you're at the track, I don't remember what the temps are, but I'll be at the track in 2 weeks and update then.

It's easy to go above those temps by a few degrees, so stop worrying about your coolant temps being at 220F, it's normal.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Sorry, I run cooler and take 6 qts.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Simple mistake!

In fact, GM per the instruction manual recommends to run ONE additional quart of oil over full when racing, helps compensate for "G" forces. I had a buddy of mine burn an Calliway engine up for not doing this on Xcrossing. He learned the hard way. He has had numerious Vettes and should have known better, he had two Calliways at the time.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
In fact, GM per the instruction manual recommends to run ONE additional quart of oil over full when racing, helps compensate for "G" forces. I had a buddy of mine burn an Calliway engine up for not doing this on Xcrossing. He learned the hard way. He has had numerious Vettes and should have known better, he had two Calliways at the time.
I see someone else also reads the warranty book
I still like the 160 stat and have raced cars all my life and cooler temps are never a bad thing so I will stick with my 160 stat.
At the track i go way above those temps on the last round to take the win,hot laping seems to be the rule at our drag strip.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:43 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

seem high to me too,
160 stat is your friend, but should have it tuned for the fans to be sync with the new temp, also getting air bubbles out of radiator hoses can be a PITA.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
Just to tame down the people all the time worrying about engine temps, this is what it should look like when you drive normally. (LS2 engine Z51, no dry sump, 4.5L 5w30 Mobile1 filled)

On a highway or low traffic road in 0C (32F) to 20C (68F) temperatures:
Coolant temp: 90C (194F)
Engine Oil Temp: 100C (212F)

If you push your car harder, or drive in traffic, temps easily rise accordingly until you let it cool or drive like above again:
Coolant temp: 100C (212F) to 105C (221F)
Engine Oil Temp: 110C (230F)

If you're at the track, I don't remember what the temps are, but I'll be at the track in 2 weeks and update then.

It's easy to go above those temps by a few degrees, so stop worrying about your coolant temps being at 220F, it's normal.
What do you base your "normal" coolant temps on? I would agree that there is a normal range, but not necessarily a normal actual temp.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red08
What do you base your "normal" coolant temps on? I would agree that there is a normal range, but not necessarily a normal actual temp.
They are based on what my car displays for temperatures. Coolant temperatures are normal anywhere from 80C to slightly above boiling point. Oil temperatures are normal from about the same, but can go higher than coolant temperatures. The temps listed are what I read, but not necessarily the exact numbers that mean normal. Use as a guide, not absolute.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by glenB
Sorry, I run cooler and take 6 qts.
Sure, you can run cooler and have 6 qts. I put the quantity as a reference for my measures. I also run cooler many times, but that's when I don't drive very far. If I'm driving 3-4 hours, the temps stay pretty constant, that's makes it easy to know you have a problem.

Even if I had 8L of oil in my car (if I could), I'm confident it would hover between 95C and 105C. It has more capacity to cool because of volume, or rather, more capacity to absorb heat so you don't overheat. So it would take longer and more work to get the temps to climb or go higher.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under normal circumstances, when cruising down the road (with the associated air flow) your "normal" temperature is regulated by your thermostat. Therefore, coolant temperature will reflect thermostat temperature, within thermostat tolerances; unless you are working the engine so hard that you exceed the cooling capacity of your radiator. Therefore, if you want a cooler engine, put in a better (bigger) radiator - the only thing a 160 degree thermostat does is allow the system to "absorb" short lived increase in engine heat. It does not increase the cooling capability of the cooling system.

There is no such thing as a normal oil temperature because most cars don't have a oil cooler of adequate surface area to cool the oil enough to regulate the temperature. More volume of oil helps because each quart of oil spends more time in the pan (where in cools) and less time in the engine (where it heats). A pan that transfers heat well (aluminum) will also help.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default They all have the right idea!

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
In addition to this, I run an additional 1 qt of oil ALL THE TIME, as long as it is not too high and IS NOT hit by crank and connecting rod causing foam you are ALL RIGHT.

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
I see someone else also reads the warranty book
I still like the 160 stat and have raced cars all my life and cooler temps are never a bad thing so I will stick with my 160 stat.
At the track i go way above those temps on the last round to take the win,hot laping seems to be the rule at our drag strip.
Thanks, also common sense.

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
Under normal circumstances, when cruising down the road (with the associated air flow) your "normal" temperature is regulated by your thermostat. Therefore, coolant temperature will reflect thermostat temperature, within thermostat tolerances; unless you are working the engine so hard that you exceed the cooling capacity of your radiator. Therefore, if you want a cooler engine, put in a better (bigger) radiator - the only thing a 160 degree thermostat does is allow the system to "absorb" short lived increase in engine heat. It does not increase the cooling capability of the cooling system.

There is no such thing as a normal oil temperature because most cars don't have a oil cooler of adequate surface area to cool the oil enough to regulate the temperature. More volume of oil helps because each quart of oil spends more time in the pan (where in cools) and less time in the engine (where it heats). A pan that transfers heat well (aluminum) will also help.
Also, alot of people are NOT aware that when the thermostat is WIDE OPEN with any temperature rating, that is the MAXIMUM cooling fluid that can be circulated and this controls the minimum ambient engine temperature of a WIDE OPEN thermostat, like you say, get a LARGER radiator to drop more heat.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I find it odd that my coolant temp. (ls3,a6) will drop 4-8 degrees at cruising speed if I downshift one gear. I'm guessing it's due to the water circulating faster, or the engine is actually "bogging" somewhat at 60mph in 6th.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe B.
I find it odd that my coolant temp. (ls3,a6) will drop 4-8 degrees at cruising speed if I downshift one gear. I'm guessing it's due to the water circulating faster, or the engine is actually "bogging" somewhat at 60mph in 6th.

You're exactly right. I've noticed the same thing in my Z06 but never noticed it in my prior Corvettes; could be that I've always had my DIC in oil temp mode and not in coolant temp mode. It's not as obvious if you're looking at the gauge as opposed to the digital readout too.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

On my '08 (LS3), at highway speeds, just cruising along, with outside temps in the 70's and 80's, my coolant temp runs between 203 and 205. A friend of mine with an '07 (LS2), told me that's right about where his coolant temp is just driving down the highway. I stopped at the local Chevy dealer (service dept) not too long ago, and discussed with them, and they said that the coolant temps I am seeing are well within the normal operating temp range.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:14 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Same old samo!

Originally Posted by Red08
On my '08 (LS3), at highway speeds, just cruising along, with outside temps in the 70's and 80's, my coolant temp runs between 203 and 205. A friend of mine with an '07 (LS2), told me that's right about where his coolant temp is just driving down the highway. I stopped at the local Chevy dealer (service dept) not too long ago, and discussed with them, and they said that the coolant temps I am seeing are well within the normal operating temp range.
Same old samo! The dealers are always telling this is "normal", it is like they are protecting GM much of the time from warranty claims, same with customer service. Even when it is absolutely bad, they will use "delay, delay, and delay" to make you come back three times before finally fixing it.

For example, I happened to know the service manager at the nations #1 Chevrolet dealership in Grapevine, TX. I brought my car in for a power seat problem, two control units were replaced and other attempts were tried and failed. I had four invoices that I was showing to the write up guy and he got the assistant shop manager involved and he didn't even know about the seat system period. In the mean time, the service mananger had sneaked up behind me while I was explaining the invoices. All of sudden I sensed someone was behind me, I turned around and said hello "Tim", the service manager. He tooked the invoices and looked at them all and said they would fix the seat. He had them replace the complete seat motor mechanism and contol units, the seat has worked great ever since. As usual, "delay, delay, and delay". It never ends!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With a centrifugal blower and nothing for additional cooling other than a 160 thermostat I run at 181-183 on the highway with the AC on lowest fan setting with ambient temps around 85.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM
philip_g
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even in the mountains climbing steep hills my temp never breaks 221, as long as the temp is under control, ie not climbing uncontrolled I assume its normal (ls3)

Get notified of new replies

To This is normal engine temps, LS2

Quick Reply: This is normal engine temps, LS2