C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple quick Zaino questions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 AM
trading tiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple quick Zaino questions???

First, will the Z-5, applied by hand, really get rid of the swirl marks and fine scratches? I have a black GS and under certain light, it looks really good, I even have that "mirror like" finish, but under other light, it looks pretty bad with swirls everywhere. I guess I'm just looking for some personal experience and results with this product.

Second, can and/or should Zaino be applied over a clear bra? I have a clear bra on the nose and around the door handles. How does that affect anything regarding the application, removal, or any other steps in the process?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Wolf dogs aka Ken can help you he's the zano expert and can tell you what products to use. He has a black corvette also. He helped me and I use it on my red car and yes I think it covers minors swirls and I call me scratches where a rags may have left marks.
You needed the drying enhancer and so forth again Ken is the man do a search he lives in Virgina.
z51vett
Doug
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

What he said look up Wolfdogs he is the forum Zaino expert
Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trading tiger
First, will the Z-5, applied by hand, really get rid of the swirl marks and fine scratches?
You might want to check out the Care Care section. If you're using a mild product by hand, you may not be doing anything other than covering up the problem. Here are a couple of threads related to swirl marks...

Brand new 2013 Black GS with slight swirls - What product to use?

Still have swirl marks after Zaino Z5
Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you really want a good start, pay to have it detailed. I would think a shop will put what ever polish on the car you give them after they have done their thing with the buffing compounds.

For my own experience, I dont remember seeing many swirl marks on my DSOM, but that may be due to the color. I have read that progressive coats will diminish the flaws. After about the 3rd coat of Z5 I remember the most difference in terms of luster. I am on the 8th or so coat now and the paint looks "wet" after I wipe off the Z5 and keep it dusted. The only flaws I can see in my paint these days are a couple bird crap stains that wont come out, the small rock/road debris chips, and the door dings. A daily driver cant always avoid this to my chagrin.

I like Bugman's website for a little 'how to' on detailing. This pic (if it loads) is from his section on claybar marring and using Zanios to reduce or remove the swirl.

Even though this looks quite horrible, and guys have gone on killing rampages for less, in fact this horrid appearance is due to very superficial scratching of only the top of your clearcoat. This kind of defect is perfectly suited for the PC and Zaino PC fusion. For deep scratching, you'd have to resort to the rotary, and a more aggressive polish like Menzerna Intensive Polish. But again,for these fine scratches, even on the hard Vette clearcoat, Zaino PC fusion will do well.

I can hear the Rejex people a rustling.

Last edited by Firewater Burns; 05-15-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Zaino isn't going to cover swirls...got to get some paint correction on there first. Take it to a detailed or invest in a PC, pads, polish/ compounds, read read read, and go at it yourself.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Zaino isn't going to cover swirls...got to get some paint correction on there first. Take it to a detailed or invest in a PC, pads, polish/ compounds, read read read, and go at it yourself.
I use Zaino and you can still see some light scratches under certain lighting conditions. Most of the time you have to be looking at the car under fluorescent lighting and at the right angle to see them.

If your swirls are bad correct them first then seal with Z. If you don't it the optical clarity of Z may make them even more noticeable.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Welcome to the world of owning a black car.

As much as I like Zaino, it does not really do any paint correction. It is very mild and does great at bringing out the shine...but getting rid of swirls not so much. You will need something stronger.

On my brand NEW 2013 black GS, the paint was a mess so I did this.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...on-the-c6.html
Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 PM
trading tiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Welcome to the world of owning a black car.

As much as I like Zaino, it does not really do any paint correction. It is very mild and does great at bringing out the shine...but getting rid of swirls not so much. You will need something stronger.

On my brand NEW 2013 black GS, the paint was a mess so I did this.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...on-the-c6.html
I remember reading that thread because I too have a black '13 GS. I think it came swirled from the dealer because I've been pretty careful about how and what I use to wash it with.

I did not get the answers I was hoping for regarding the Z-5, I really don't want to take a DA polisher to my paint, I've never done it before. Hearing/reading about your experience gives me a little more confidence, but I think if I decide to go that route, I'll practice on my old truck first before moving on to the vette.

Another question, what's the difference between the Z-CS (Clear Seal) and Z-2 or Z-5?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Another question, what's the difference between the Z-CS (Clear Seal) and Z-2 or Z-5?
Z-CS is a sealant
Z-2 and Z-5 is a polish
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Use Zaino Fusion w/ an orange pad. Then w/ a white pad. It is diminishing so stay on bigger scratches a bit longer and work it as it wears down. The as you will notice how well it works seal it up w/ Z5 after a wash and dry.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

For clear coat imperfections use 3M products and corresponding pads. Therer's nothing z makes for proper paint correction.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, will the Z-5, applied by hand, really get rid of the swirl marks and fine scratches? I have a black GS and under certain light, it looks really good, I even have that "mirror like" finish, but under other light, it looks pretty bad with swirls everywhere. I guess I'm just looking for some personal experience and results with this product.

Second, can and/or should Zaino be applied over a clear bra? I have a clear bra on the nose and around the door handles. How does that affect anything regarding the application, removal, or any other steps in the process?

Thanks!
Yes to the clear bra question. Always keep a few good coats on the clear bra just NEVER use a clay bar on it. The material will swirl like crazy.
Z5 (the blue one) is the best for filling scratches. Remember that it doesn't remove them because it is not abrasive; it fills the swirls. Use two coats of Z5 then go to Z3 for the best shine. I swear by Zaino...used most all of the others and went back. I too have a black car.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I have found that Z5 has very little in the way of swirl filling ability. It will make a very slight difference, but in this case it sounds like you need to use something more aggressive first.

When I picked up my C6 a month ago the previous owner had definitely not taken care of the paint that well as it had a lot of swirls in it. I spent 2 hours on the finish with my DA and managed to get it about 75% to my satisfaction and was hoping the top coat of Z5 might just fill in the rest but it really didn't. So I'm going to have another go round on the finish, this time I bought a product called HD Polish which I've heard a lot of good things about. Then I'm going to top it with Z2 this time around, as I've found it brings out the shine a bit better than Z5, especially with metallic colors like Lemans Blue.

I have had good luck in the past on my black C5 with Meguiar's NXT and NXT 2.0 in terms of it's swirl hiding ability. It only hides them for a short time (a couple of weeks) but it's a decent stop gap measure that I used on my C5 until I had time to go to town with the DA and more aggressive compounds.

Last edited by Patman; 05-15-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JJC5
Yes to the clear bra question. Always keep a few good coats on the clear bra just NEVER use a clay bar on it. The material will swirl like crazy.
Z5 (the blue one) is the best for filling scratches. Remember that it doesn't remove them because it is not abrasive; it fills the swirls. Use two coats of Z5 then go to Z3 for the best shine. I swear by Zaino...used most all of the others and went back. I too have a black car.
I think you mean Z2. Z2 does have a better shine to it IMO.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

i have the nrb 013 and just ordered zaino car products. reading this thread doesn't sound to positive for zaino. did i make a mistake buying the zaino?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The bulk of us have tried it all. It works for some and others have gone back to old reliables.

Get notified of new replies

To A couple quick Zaino questions???

Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billyboy47
i have the nrb 013 and just ordered zaino car products. reading this thread doesn't sound to positive for zaino. did i make a mistake buying the zaino?
Not at all. Try it and you'll see. It really does have an awesome shine to it and will bring out that fleck in your paint

Plus it lasts a very long time.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
For clear coat imperfections use 3M products and corresponding pads. Therer's nothing z makes for proper paint correction.
I guess you don't use Zaino or you would know Fusion works excellent for his issue.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I guess you don't use Zaino or you would know Fusion works excellent for his issue.
I don't use zaino for good reason. If you think that is anywhere near as effective as 3M professional products you haven't had used them.

Quick Reply: A couple quick Zaino questions???