C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun with PlastiDip

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 AM
nspendleton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! I just did my tail lights, sides, and emblems in PlastiDip. Not sure if I'll keep it on the lights, but love the way it looks on the emblems.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nspendleton
Looks great! I just did my tail lights, sides, and emblems in PlastiDip. Not sure if I'll keep it on the lights, but love the way it looks on the emblems.
Does it darken them too much or what? I want to plastidip my side markers and rears as well. Also like that idea of dipping the exhaust tips black to get my blue/black look.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM
nspendleton
Racer

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Does it darken them too much or what? I want to plastidip my side markers and rears as well. Also like that idea of dipping the exhaust tips black to get my blue/black look.
They show a little bit of red in direct light, but otherwise are black. At night, the running lights are plenty bright enough. I'm going to take a couple of pics today to show how much they emit in direct sunlight.

I posted some more pics on the original thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...il-lights.html

Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Not sure Plasti-dip is the right choice for tail lights, I think VHT Nightshades has the better translucent shine for lack of a better word. Of course the Nightshades does not come off like the Plasti-dip tho.....
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM
clyjr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Yes sprayed them on the car, I just taped off the diffuser.
Thanks, gonna give it a shot this weekend. Going to try gunmetal gray since I have gray rims. I'll post pics once I get it done.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM
elizavette
Pro

I got a whole box of plastidip sitting in my trunk! Cant wait to try it on the wheels
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought Plasti-Dip was for coating pliers handles?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Been on over a year, 750 hp, still looks brand new! I would say it holds up to the heat fine.
Originally Posted by EVRose
Pretty impresive stuff to be able to stand up to that kind of heat. I may do mine. They really look good.
It depends on how hard you are driving not how much HP the engine is rated at. Driving around town and on the highway requires very little engine power so the exhaust doesn't get all that hot (less power means less waste heat). Go on a track where you are operating at or near WOT (close to max HP) for 20 to 30 minutes at a time and the exhaust will burn that stuff right off. The stock titanium exhaust on my C5Z got hot enough the stainless exhaust tips turned dark blue and the welds on the muffler outlet pipes broke loose due to the heat. Anybody who tracked their C5Z on a regular basis had those issues but people who just drove on the street didn't have them.

Bill
Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It depends on how hard you are driving not how much HP the engine is rated at. Driving around town and on the highway requires very little engine power so the exhaust doesn't get all that hot (less power means less waste heat). Go on a track where you are operating at or near WOT (close to max HP) for 20 to 30 minutes at a time and the exhaust will burn that stuff right off. The stock titanium exhaust on my C5Z got hot enough the stainless exhaust tips turned dark blue and the welds on the muffler outlet pipes broke loose due to the heat. Anybody who tracked their C5Z on a regular basis had those issues but people who just drove on the street didn't have them.

Bill
Bill, I was joking , I know that. I think most people are not Plasti-dipping race car tail pipes. having said that, these tips get plenty hot, I also said I did my S/C intercooler surround which gets real hot also. In fact, my Plasti-dipped S/C surround after one year is still like brand New. The carbon fiber one I got for this year is delaminating from the heat after one month. Luckily Vendor is sending me a new one.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:13 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by EVRose
Pretty impresive stuff to be able to stand up to that kind of heat. I may do mine. They really look good.
hmm, I may try the same thing. comes right off, if I don't like it. hmmm....
Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADLS3
I thought Plasti-Dip was for coating pliers handles?
dude!! where you've been?....this is like one of the most talked about topics in here and prolly one of the most technological advanced spray paint systems ever made...give it a try,,,dont like it? peel it off...with no damage to the surface...
Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 AM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by veloz
dude!! where you've been?....this is like one of the most talked about topics in here and prolly one of the most technological advanced spray paint systems ever made...give it a try,,,dont like it? peel it off...with no damage to the surface...
dude, I heard they are having a sale on senses of humor at WalMart this week, stop and pick yourself up one. Don't like it? peel it off..with no damage to your brain.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:46 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADLS3
dude, I heard they are having a sale on senses of humor at WalMart this week, stop and pick yourself up one. Don't like it? peel it off..with no damage to your brain.
,,i saw that one coming...just messing u man...walmart does sell plastidip ...

Last edited by veloz; 05-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Fun with PlastiDip