C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Paint Defender Install..Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 3M Paint Defender Install..Lessons Learned

Picked up the 3M Paint Defender the other day...Since there is another thread currently running I will just hit my observations..

Masked off the front, decided not to do the hood this time..

Applied as per directions (almost, more on that later)... HOWEVER, after I sprayed a little on some plywood to make sure the nozzle was clear, I began to apply to the car.. The can sputtered and started puking out gobs of foam and large splatters of the material..

I finished the install, thinking (as per the directions and FAQ's) that the drips and foam would "self-level"...IT DID NOT!!! That really wasn't the worst part...recall I said I "almost" followed the directions?? The directions specifically said to WAX the surface prior to install, that the film would peel easily if sprayed on a waxed surface...If not waxed, then removal would be more difficult and it would come off in smaller pieces... WELL.. I didn't wax first, and it took me almost SIX HOURS over the course of TWO DAYS, to get the film off my car so I could reapply!!! Came off in pieces the size of a penny, if I was lucky.. BOTTOM LINE...WAX FIRST!!!!

Got it all cleaned up and re-masked, this time only minor splatters, went on pretty nice.. Orange peel is normal when applied, it "self-levels" as it dries..

I decided to do the rockers, and around wheels..

All in all, everything came out looking pretty good. There is some slight orange peel on the front bumper, probably from applying too light. The sides look really good!!

I'd recommend this to those who don't want to spend $1000+ on a professionally-installed clear bra... 3M says it should hold up for over a year, and I expect longer on cars that aren't driven so much, like most of our Vettes..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 PM
sitko1
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, waxing is very important, especially if you go too light and have to remove it. Maybe, you put it on too light the first time? That's what I did and like you spent hours and hours taking off little tiny pieces. The second time I did it and put it on too thick (blobbed and ran) I had to remove it and it all peeled off in one sheet (talking about the hood) and took three minutes.
The foaming and blobbing happened to me too, but basically self leveled in the end. I probably didn't have it as bad as you. All in all I'm happy with how it looks and knowing I can go on a long road trip and not constantly worry about rock chips. At least this gives us a level of protection we didn't have and for very cheap.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I give you guys a lot of credit.

It really does look good. Great photos and good info.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

For a road trip I still would go with a GM Bra for 100 bucks.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Exesivefire
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's like clear plasti dip?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

ordered 3 cans last week, should be here any day now. Anything I can do not to have it splatter and gunk up when spraying.. Maybe shake it more?? How many cans did you use? How much of your car did you finally do. Would you do it again?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
sitko1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garye
ordered 3 cans last week, should be here any day now. Anything I can do not to have it splatter and gunk up when spraying.. Maybe shake it more?? How many cans did you use? How much of your car did you finally do. Would you do it again?

Thanks
Three cans is alot so you should have plenty in case you mess up. Again, real important to wax prior to applying and it's better to go too thick than too thin. If you go thick you can peel it off easily and try again. You go too thin and you will end up like us spending hours and hours picking little pieces off one at a time.
I don't think anything will help the splattering, just have a paper towel handy to wipe off the "foam" from the nozzle so it doesn't land on your car.
One can will will be more than enough to do 18" of your hood and full bumper with leftover.
I definitely would do it again, in fact, I did- three times before getting it right.
One last tip- take all of the plastic and tape off as soon as you can. If you leave it on and the paint defender adheres to it, it might peel up when you go to take off the tape/plastic. I'm not talking about the piece that you remove for the clean straight line, I'm talking about all of the tape/plastic. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM
sitko1
Intermediate

Thanks
One more tip- Autozone carries it for 24.99 a can, 11.99 for the plastic/tape, and 6.99 for the spray can gun.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

To the OP. All is well that ends well!

Thanks for sharing the pics and your story.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Maybe its just the camera, but the front end looks duller than the hood. Is it really dull, or just the photo ?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 3m

very cool, on my to do list...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sitko1
One last tip- take all of the plastic and tape off as soon as you can. If you leave it on and the paint defender adheres to it, it might peel up when you go to take off the tape/plastic. I'm not talking about the piece that you remove for the clean straight line, I'm talking about all of the tape/plastic. Good luck!
Interesting. It does sounds like a clear plastidip. Like what you are saying here, if you are making a line in the middle of the panel, you must remove the tape when the product is wet or it will pull some off with the tape. On a full body panel spray, they use the natural gaps in the car to make lines. Due to the nature of the product you can peal off over spray, so they recommend taping an inch back from the line and pealing off the product up to the body panel line. Although, they also recommend 5+ thin coats for a base (more coats also makes it easier to remove).

I wonder if you would get good/easier results shooting it like plastidip; like spraying 3 or more thinner coats, maybe only letting it dry to a tacky state between. There are some great videos on how to spray plastidip on the net, most notable, I have found is from DipYourCar.com.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great Job! looks good.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Originally Posted by sitko1
One more tip- Autozone carries it for 24.99 a can, 11.99 for the plastic/tape, and 6.99 for the spray can gun.
Thanks for the advise, one more thing; the instructional video says spray one continuos spray until done. Did you do that or did you spray thin coats several times to get a heavier coating. The video made it sound like it would be hard to put too much on by saying it would level out by itself. Thanks again for the info, very helpful. It's going to be my weekend project.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Did it change the color? The red does not look OEM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 AM
sitko1
Intermediate

Thanks for the advise, one more thing; the instructional video says spray one continuos spray until done. Did you do that or did you spray thin coats several times to get a heavier coating. The video made it sound like it would be hard to put too much on by saying it would level out by itself. Thanks again for the info, very helpful. It's going to be my weekend project.
I followed the directions and did a continuous spray, three coats- 1 horizontal, one parallel, one horizontal. It will start foaming from the nozzle and eventually drip onto the car or floor (depending on your can location) so make sure you know where your can is and have a paper towel to wipe the foam off the can before it drips off. It's possible to put too much on, I did it. It globbed because of the slant of the hood.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 AM
sitko1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
As far as I can tell it does not change the color of the paint... Might just be the pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To 3M Paint Defender Install..Lessons Learned

Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 AM
sitko1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
Interesting. It does sounds like a clear plastidip. Like what you are saying here, if you are making a line in the middle of the panel, you must remove the tape when the product is wet or it will pull some off with the tape. On a full body panel spray, they use the natural gaps in the car to make lines. Due to the nature of the product you can peal off over spray, so they recommend taping an inch back from the line and pealing off the product up to the body panel line. Although, they also recommend 5+ thin coats for a base (more coats also makes it easier to remove).

I wonder if you would get good/easier results shooting it like plastidip; like spraying 3 or more thinner coats, maybe only letting it dry to a tacky state between. There are some great videos on how to spray plastidip on the net, most notable, I have found is from DipYourCar.com.
Not sure about multiple coats and letting it dry in-between. I remember reading that you had approximately 10 minutes to make any fixes after you spray it so I did my according to the instructions and didn't deviate. It took me three times to get it right so I wasn't bold enough to try anything different.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks
I used 1 can and a little from a second can.

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
To the OP. All is well that ends well!

Thanks for sharing the pics and your story.
Didn't exactly end well, see my newest post.

Originally Posted by Stan0324
Maybe its just the camera, but the front end looks duller than the hood. Is it really dull, or just the photo ?
Its the orange peel from the Paint Defender. Supposed to dry clear. It did in some spots, others not so much.

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Who said anything about "red"? My car is Inferno Orange.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:15 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow, it changed your car from red to orange

Getting old I guess.

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Defender Install..Lessons Learned