C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Ten-Zing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, a Corvette is a roadster.

Aesthetically speaking... I don't think GM has figured out how to finish the back end of a Corvette properly since they applied the glass dome to the 1978. They've used that same dome since 1978 all the way to the C6.... my 1985 Trans Am had that glass dome. It's corny.

It looked like someone was getting close to figuring it out when they released the C5 Z06 but they gave up on that progress.

Back to the good old giant glass dome.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 AM
JohnAE455
Racer

Only you can decide. If possible drive both back to back like I did. The C6 GS vert makes much less noise then a GS coupe. My wife could not use a cell phone at speed in the coupe. No problem with the vert. I can't comment on the differences in both styles of standard vettes. Also with the GS coupe forget about the radio at speeds above 45 MPH unless you like your music loud. I don't worry about getting my 100+ pound dog in the back of either vert or coupe. He won't fit even if I did manage to lift him up into the car. I happen to like the looks of all vert. vettes with the top up. Nothing beats the looks of a top down vette. I will never be driving on a track so will not need a cage. AC is more then enough for any hot day. I've had a C5 and C6 vert. and neither leaks at all even in the heavy rain of Atlanta. I had a C5 coupe for 10 years and, although you can take the roof off, it really is a PITA so I rarely bothered. It got better with practice but it was always ackward putting it on and I was always worried about scratching the "hoop" if I lost control of the roof. Have fun checking both out. for Monday.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by JohnAE455
Only you can decide. If possible drive both back to back like I did. The C6 GS vert makes much less noise then a GS coupe. My wife could not use a cell phone at speed in the coupe. No problem with the vert.
...[snip]...
I believe you, but this is counter intuitive and takes a moment to process. I would guess the rear glass of the Coupe contains/reflects sounds in the passenger compartment in a way the Convertible does not.

Cheers,
JB
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

We've had 5 C6 Corvettes in our family, 3 coupes, 2 convertibles, presently have 012 coupe & 013 convertible, the convertibles are for sure quieter (tops up/on on both) he coupes are prettier but with the tops down the verts have them beat for looks.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 AM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
I believe you, but this is counter intuitive and takes a moment to process. I would guess the rear glass of the Coupe contains/reflects sounds in the passenger compartment in a way the Convertible does not.

Cheers,
JB
This is where block-it and a partition can help in the coupe.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Duro
Racer

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
I went with a coupe. I have had other vehicles that were convertibles and they were noisy and were prown to leaks.
Plus I think a Vette looks better in the coupe version.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 AM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only you can decide. If possible drive both back to back like I did. The C6 GS vert makes much less noise then a GS coupe. My wife could not use a cell phone at speed in the coupe. No problem with the vert. I can't comment on the differences in both styles of standard vettes. Also with the GS coupe forget about the radio at speeds above 45 MPH unless you like your music loud. I don't worry about getting my 100+ pound dog in the back of either vert or coupe. He won't fit even if I did manage to lift him up into the car. I happen to like the looks of all vert. vettes with the top up. Nothing beats the looks of a top down vette. I will never be driving on a track so will not need a cage. AC is more then enough for any hot day. I've had a C5 and C6 vert. and neither leaks at all even in the heavy rain of Atlanta. I had a C5 coupe for 10 years and, although you can take the roof off, it really is a PITA so I rarely bothered. It got better with practice but it was always ackward putting it on and I was always worried about scratching the "hoop" if I lost control of the roof. Have fun checking both out. for Monday.

Agree, exactly.

The vert hauls a lot of gear, and with the trunk divider folded down is darn big, surprisingly so. It appeals to me that I can leave things in the trunk and they are not visible, be that a brief case, golf clubs, or the little batch of detailing supplies I tend to drive around with in case there is an emergency need-to-clean.
But no denying that the coupe has larger cargo volume, if the plan for your corvette includes hauling large items, mulch, or whatever.

Last edited by AddisonD; 05-25-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

To the OP: It should be clear to you by now: You need one of each.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I disagree with some in that I like the roofline of the Vert best, top up or down. It has a nice chopped look with the top up...kind of like the C5 Z06.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
Old 05-25-2013, 11:36 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Originally Posted by cclive
I disagree with some in that I like the roofline of the Vert best, top up or down.
That's why both sell.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

That's why both sell.
The coupe has one advantage over the convert and that is it is a lot cheaper.

One of the corvette magazines had a survey that asked that if you bought the coupe what the number one reason was and 4 our of 5 buyers selected that it was cheaper. That also turned out to be the same reason that 4 out of 5 buyers that had selected a manual trans.

Probably accounts for the reason there are a lot of 1LT manual trans coupes sold and that most converts are very loaded and automatics. It is next to impossible to sell a base option manual trans convert unless you are willing to take a very low selling price.

Last edited by RJRSW; 05-25-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:48 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

This is the best solution to the question.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:36 PM
semp65
Advanced

Originally Posted by RODXL1200
I have had a coupe, Z06 and two Convertibles, my latest being the 2013 427 convertible. In So Cal I ride with the top down alot and love every minute of it. When I owned the coupe I rarely took the top off because it was a pain putting it off and on. The z06 was great but without the top off ability. I now have the best of both worlds. Not a track guy so that part did not matter to me. Not to mention sitting in the car and pushing a button to remove the top is awesome.
You nailed it!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:18 PM
SirVenox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I notice that the coupe generates more noise on the highway.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I have owned 3 C6s, 2 coupes (08 and my current 13) and my 11 GS Vert.

I went back to the coupe because of heat related issues with my back so I need to keep cool. Vert has decent room if you fold the partition down and use soft luggage. The good news is that it does keep stuff in the trunk, no worries about things flying forward. A inexpensive partition can prevent that in the coupe though.

Road noise is higher in the coupe but wind noise is higher in the vert. Vert's chassis does flex more also. Vert sounds better from inside the cabin with the top down.

Coupe does require less maintenance concerning the top. Also harder to break into. Coupe is also safer during a roll over which rarely happens but if I had a choice which one would I rather be in it would definitely be a coupe.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Well OP, I am curious - did any of this advice assist you in making a decision? I like all Corvettes, but I always wanted a convertible, so I got one. Because I wanted one. Ultimately, I hope you get what you want and enjoy it. Keep us posted, I always wonder how these things turn out with the variety of opinions provided by passionate Corvette owners.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe vs Convertible

Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Vert or coupe

On my 6th C6 (don't ask). Had 4 verts and this latest one is the 2nd coupe.
Went with the coupe because this is now my DD. Can use the extra space in back and more adaptable for everyday use.
Loved the verts, but, wife complained about the wind, too hot, too cold, too noisy on the highway when people are passing or passed with the top down. Plus, when the sun is up high and the temp is warm, it will bake your head, even with a hat on.
Not to say I will never get another vert, but, right now, the coupe is for me. I still think the vert is prettier than a coupe especially when the top is down
Old 05-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sometimes wrestle with the coupe/vert' question. I did drive a new vert last year and found it too windy and noisy. And you can detect a very small amount of flex compared to the coupe. The coupe with the top off gives me just enough alfresco motoring with less wind and noise, and more money in my pocket. But the vert' does have great lines, top up or down.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

2012 production numbers should put it in perspective.
All verts 2889
All Coupes 8758

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible