Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
idaband
CF Senior Member

Default npp vs borla s-type 2

Well I'm on the fence what to do... I can buy a NPP exhaust for 750 and another $200 for the M2W switch from a vendor on this forum... so looking at 1k with shipping for everything.

OR...

Borla S-Type 2. Keep hearing that Type 2 got rid of the drone. I really want that sweet sounding exhaust but nervous type 2 still has too much drone?

What has everyone done? Opinions?
idaband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
staw512

I have the orla Atak, which is more aggressive. It has no drone at cruising speeds
staw512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
idaband
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staw512 View Post
I have the orla Atak, which is more aggressive. It has no drone at cruising speeds
atak is louder than NPP open?

I know stingers would "breath" more ...

I forgot to add...there is quite a bit to save...about $4-$500 in savings by only putting NPP's on instead of borla's.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
staw512

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaband View Post
atak is louder than NPP open?

I know stingers would "breath" more ...

I forgot to add...there is quite a bit to save...about $4-$500 in savings by only putting NPP's on instead of borla's.
Look around. I got my Borla Atak for 875 shipped. It was used less than 5 miles. Forum member put it on, drove around the block and did not like it, then took it off.
staw512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
AtomicZ_Eric
CF Senior Member

Agree with previous poster that Borla has much less drone than NPP. I also just put an ATAK on and love it. The S-Type sounds to be a little bit higher pitched, kinda like Corsas. Can't go wrong with either. I think the NPP is far too tame, but maybe you don't enjoy a loud exhaust?

BTW, I would recommend not spending $200 on a M2W switch - It's just a $15 remote relay with a fuse holder soldered on. Best of luck with your decision. Keep in mind you're not married to whatever choice you make. You can always change.
AtomicZ_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

My NPP has no drone. It's very quiet on the highway, and quite loud when you get on it. Very happy with NPP - it and the HUD are 2 features that all "sporty" vehicles should come with IMO.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
zumatodd
CF Member

M2W Switch $89.99

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...tch-p-231.html
zumatodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Jimmy52
CF Senior Member

I prefer the "Borla Stingers"... love the sound and very little drone
Jimmy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
idaband
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy52 View Post
I prefer the "Borla Stingers"... love the sound and very little drone
Type 1 or 2?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
AtomicZ_Eric
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Type 1 or 2?
I don't know the complete history of Borla exhausts for C6 vettes, but from many posts on the forum I think that the systems they build now are slightly different than an older style, and drone has been dramatically reduced. The one I purchased recently showed the manufacture date on the box... The manufacture date was a few days before the ship date. Seems like they can't make em fast enough.
AtomicZ_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
MakoShark72
CF Senior Member

Paid $40 for my M2W from a fellow Forum member.
MakoShark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Jimmy52
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Type 1 or 2?
I had the Borla Stingers on a 2007 Mustang Gt with Kooks LT headers and the sound was incredible at idle and when you punched it. I plan on putting the Borla stingers on my C6 sometime this year. if you go to Borla's website they have 3 systems on C6 vettes for sound variation and comparison to see which you would prefer. Out of all 3 systems I'd go with the Borla 'S" system. Just my choice for a vette
Jimmy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
starky
CF Senior Member

Get the NPP and the m2w switch, 200 for the m2w is way to much, I had bought it for 75.00 and 30.00 installation, it is about an 1/2 hr job put the switch on the dead pedal, turn it off when not needed best of both worlds. JMO
starky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
idaband
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicZ_Eric View Post
I don't know the complete history of Borla exhausts for C6 vettes, but from many posts on the forum I think that the systems they build now are slightly different than an older style, and drone has been dramatically reduced. The one I purchased recently showed the manufacture date on the box... The manufacture date was a few days before the ship date. Seems like they can't make em fast enough.
Anything 2011 and newer most likely is type 2. But ur model number should tell u which version u have.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
idaband
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starky View Post
Get the NPP and the m2w switch, 200 for the m2w is way to much, I had bought it for 75.00 and 30.00 installation, it is about an 1/2 hr job put the switch on the dead pedal, turn it off when not needed best of both worlds. JMO
I'm confused which way to go lol... anyone know the correct gm part number for npp for stock 2008? I want to run official prices. I've heard npp on zo6 but not stock ls3
Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
not08crmanymore
CF Senior Member

I would not spend 1000 bucks on NPP with all the other choices out there that sound far,far better.Were it not on the car already when I bought it,I would not have ordered it.It sounds like garbage with the baffles open when you sit there and rev it up...If you put headers on your car,then NPP will sound halfway decent.I must be in the minority about this,but I don't care.CORSA,BORLA,BASSANI..all better sounding then NPP and CORSA claims no drone and the BASSANI I had had no drone at all in the car...all the sound was out the back as it should be.The only good thing about NPP is the fact that it is quiet as a Cadillac UNTIL you open the baffles..then it sounds like a can with ball bearings rolling around in it.
not08crmanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
GotVett?
CF Senior Member

Borla . . . I've had the Stingers (Aggresive) on mine going on 6 years. The sound is great and I rate it as the best mod I've done. Now they have the ATAK and that's the one I'd choose.
GotVett? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
JJPonzini
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The M2W is not $200, it's the NPP retrofit kit that he will need. That is around 200 and includes a M2W. I say go with NPP, That's what I did. Very happy.
JJPonzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #19
Torch Ace
CF Senior Member

I have the original Type S stingers on my 2005 and they sound great at idle and when you punch it, however they have a lot of drone when cruising. I have the type II S, stingers on my 2012 vert and they also sound great at idle and when you punch it but no drone at all. I'd go for type II/
Torch Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #20
JDM555
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch Ace View Post
I have the original Type S stingers on my 2005 and they sound great at idle and when you punch it, however they have a lot of drone when cruising. I have the type II S, stingers on my 2012 vert and they also sound great at idle and when you punch it but no drone at all. I'd go for type II/
Seeing as you have 2 vettes with the 2 systems, can you do a little review? I see you like the sound on both, but can you share more info? How similar do they sound? One louder? One raspier? Look of them? Fitment?

I was planning on Stingers, and getting the classic, but if it sounds pretty much the same and drone is gone, don't see why I shouldn't get the type 2.

Thanks
JDM555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:20 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page npp vs borla s-type 2