C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What defect makes the acid buildup on a battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Default What defect makes the acid buildup on a battery?

I have had 2 incidents where the negative terminal on my battery (Optima Red top) have cause the dreaded system DIC messages. In both cases, the crud has built up on the negative terminal to where the DIC gets pissy and starts with the message barrage. The first activity resulted in me being stranded in Key West and having to use a tow truck.

This was my first episode,

BOTTOM

My 2nd episode happened to these terminals:

My first bout, I blamed on the cone shaped nut missing and that allowed a loose fit that resulted in the corrosion.

The 2nd bout was NOT due to anything getting loose. That clamp was tight as hell! It still did the corrosion build up to dick with my DIC.

The question is why? Can there be some kind of leak in the battery that is pushing up caustic fumes or acid itself to get the corrosion like this. I've NEVER had this issue on any other car that I've owned and maintained. It sucks to carry tools to get the terminal off and a wire brush to clean that crap off the connection.

I have a spray-can of that red stuff you use to seal the terminals to prevent the corrosion and I had to clean that stuff off as I cleaned out the corrosion. So, that didn't seem to alleviate the issue.

If a new battery would cure this, then that red top is toast!

Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

My Impala's battery did that when one of its cells went bad. That was 2-3 years ago and I didn't have any issues since.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

You may have an acid fume leak around the terminal. If you have ever hammered on the terminal, that can cause a leak. Doesn't have to be anything but a very, very small one to cause corrosion.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think Euro is correct and some of it is a bit normal. Even the tightest of batts. will outgas. I know they're old fashioned, but those little green and red felt things do work, and so does all the prep before (baking soda, elect. grease, etc.). And sometimes it's just a slightly defective batt. itself.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:19 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Well, I'd like a smaller battery this time. Anyone have experience with Duralast?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...6425_622393_0_

Get notified of new replies

To What defect makes the acid buildup on a battery?

Quick Reply: What defect makes the acid buildup on a battery?