C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Windshield ?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default HUD Windshield ?

A freind has a 2008 and the windshield got a crack. Can you replace with a non-hud windshield and will you still see the hud?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:27 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Yeah, HUD has nothing to do with the windshield. Put your cell phone on your dash and you'll see it in the glass. It's just a reflection.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:48 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
...Can you replace with a non-hud windshield and will you still see the hud?
Yes.

Of course the main benefit is, the non-HUD windshield is less expensive.

And according to folks that have seen HUD on both types of windshields, the non-HUD windshield gives a reflected image that's only slightly less crisp (90 - 95% as good as the HUD windshield).

Also, lots of us have retrofitted HUD into C6's not factory equipped. Works fine.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

From what others have told me non-HUD glass will work but definitely not as well. I'm replacing my HUD windshield this week but at no cost to me. For a small additional premium I carry full glass coverage on my auto insurance. Glass repairs or replacements are covered with no deductible....there's no out of pocket expense. It's worth having for an extra $20 or so a year.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
From what others have told me non-HUD glass will work but definitely not as well. I'm replacing my HUD windshield this week but at no cost to me. For a small additional premium I carry full glass coverage on my auto insurance. Glass repairs or replacements are covered with no deductible....there's no out of pocket expense. It's worth having for an extra $20 or so a year.
I asked Progressive if insurance rates would be increased as a result of making a claim for a windshield, they said only if it cost over $1000. The hud windshields usually run over $1000.

rh
Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Originally Posted by at7000ft
I asked Progressive if insurance rates would be increased as a result of making a claim for a windshield, they said only if it cost over $1000. The hud windshields usually run over $1000.

rh
I agree Full Glass coverage is the only way to go. Have never seen a glass claim cause an increase to the cost of comprehensive coverage. Just had the windshield in my Malibu replaced at no cost to me.
If Progressive does that I would dump them as soon as it is time for renewal no matter how much better their price is. A good price isn't any good if there are any issues with making a claim on a non moving incident. I have had 5 or 6 windows/windshields replaced in cars over the last 50 years and never had a rate increase even when the replacement cost hit close to $2.5K on my C5Z.

Bill
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Yeah, HUD has nothing to do with the windshield. Put your cell phone on your dash and you'll see it in the glass. It's just a reflection.
There is a difference. The HUD windshield has a layer of reflective film sandwiched between the glass.

As everyone else stated though, the HUD is plenty legible even on the normal windshield. Mine seems to have just a BIT of a ghosting, but nothing significant.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

If you are getting an original AP Technoglass windshield the cost difference is very small. The newer windshields have the HUD layer throughout the entire glass, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe all of them do now. Perhaps if you want glass with the GM logo on it it will be a few hundred more, but still, on my last check, a windshield without HUD, without XM, and without Onstar was the MOST expensive glass with the HUD only glass coming in cheaper.

I replaced my cracked windshield with the "HUD" glass (AP Technoglass) and under 99% of driving there is no appreciable difference. Under direct bright sunlight, the image is still washed out, just a little less washed out.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 PM
scottaolsen
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have full glass coverage and they covered my HUD windshield. They weren't sure what I was talking about at first, but they came around.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 PM
One Kick
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to find out tomorrow, I have a crack in my hud equipped cars windshield and will be chatting with my insurance company tomorrow. My concern is finding a good company to do the install.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If the non-HUD windshield worked as well as the HUD version, GM would be all over that to save money and simplify their supply system. So I think there must be a difference, even if it's minor under many conditions.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
One Kick
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by One Kick
I'm going to find out tomorrow, I have a crack in my hud equipped cars windshield and will be chatting with my insurance company tomorrow. My concern is finding a good company to do the install.
Had a little bit of a hassle getting an oem windshield, Amica only goes back 2 years with the oem unit unless the policy States different. Took me a couple phone calls and they approved the oem unit. The installer was surprised and didn't think they would approve it, turns out he has a non oem unit in stock, I think he was trying to get rid of it. One thing I did run into was finding a company to do the install, Amica gave me some nearby company names one being Glass America,I called them gave them the info said I wanted oem glass, he said Ok, amica issued the repair order. a short time later they called me and said the glass company had declined to do the job
No reason given. So I called Safelite , Got back to amica, they approved the glass I wanted and is on order and expected to be installed in about a week.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM
One Kick
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by One Kick
Had a little bit of a hassle getting an oem windshield, Amica only goes back 2 years with the oem unit unless the policy States different. Took me a couple phone calls and they approved the oem unit. The installer was surprised and didn't think they would approve it, turns out he has a non oem unit in stock, I think he was trying to get rid of it. One thing I did run into was finding a company to do the install, Amica gave me some nearby company names one being Glass America,I called them gave them the info said I wanted oem glass, he said Ok, amica issued the repair order. a short time later they called me and said the glass company had declined to do the job
No reason given. So I called Safelite , Got back to amica, they approved the glass I wanted and is on order and expected to be installed in about a week.
Got the new glass installed this morning, installer was on time and took about 1.5 hrs. He was professional and took care to be very careful during the install. My cost was $50.00, the deductable. The glass was made by Pittsburg glass works in the states and it is oem gm glass.
Safelite did the install and I would recommend them.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Bell040
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried a Lexan windshield with the HUD?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 450 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Bell040
Has anyone tried a Lexan windshield with the HUD?
I don't think a Lexan windshield would be legal in a road car.

Also most auto policies don't consider a windshield replacement as something that would go against your premium.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my windshield replaced a few months ago.

I thought the difference in HUD windshields was BS, but they installer said there was a difference.

I had read about OEM glass, and my insurance company wanted to put in a cheaper unit. My installer said the only difference was that the emblem in the corner is buffed off. He showed it to me.

I carry 100 deductible. Seems cheap enough if you need a new windshield. The original one in the car when I bought it, had a chip repaired that I didn't notice before buying the car used. It was still in OK condition. I took a new hit, and it cracked about two feet long.

To me it's not a big deal about OEM glass, and replacement glass, and saving me and insurance company 500 dollars. My car is probably never going to be a collectors car or a concourse car. Mine is a daily driver. I enjoy it ever day, even in the snow and ice.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Little
I had my windshield replaced a few months ago.

I thought the difference in HUD windshields was BS, but they installer said there was a difference.

I had read about OEM glass, and my insurance company wanted to put in a cheaper unit. My installer said the only difference was that the emblem in the corner is buffed off. He showed it to me.

I carry 100 deductible. Seems cheap enough if you need a new windshield. The original one in the car when I bought it, had a chip repaired that I didn't notice before buying the car used. It was still in OK condition. I took a new hit, and it cracked about two feet long.

To me it's not a big deal about OEM glass, and replacement glass, and saving me and insurance company 500 dollars. My car is probably never going to be a collectors car or a concourse car. Mine is a daily driver. I enjoy it ever day, even in the snow and ice.
When I had the glass replaced on my 09 with HUD and OnStar, I asked for OEM glass and the installer told me the same thing. Only one manufacturer makes the Vette windshields and they simply buff out the emblem for replacements. I don't know about the manufacturer part but since two of us got almost exactly the same story, I am inclined to believe it.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Windshield ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HUD Windshield ?