C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa sports or extreme dilema

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Corsa sports or extreme dilema

I just got my "new" 06 last week. Was going to keep it totally stock, but just ordered a pair of Lloyds mats, and decided that the stock exhaust is way too quiet. So come August when we make our yearly trek to Carlisle, Im going down bright and early to the Corsa install booth, and have them install a new exhaust on the c6.

I choose corsa over the others, from a lot of referals here on the forums, other owners I know that have them, and quality and nice but not obnoxious sound. Right now Im leaning towards the Corsa extremes,over the sports,found a nice video clip with the car at idle, revved up, and cruising. Nice sound but no drone at idle.

My 00 c5 coupe had B&B bullets on it, and the drone on the highway got old. Plus after talking with the nice folks at Corsa today, Im going the full monty and have them put in the x-pipe as well. Any opinions or preferences etc. on either the sports or extremes would be welcome.

And as always....thanks in advance. Ken
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Sports came on mine when I bought the car. I like them but they could be a little bit louder. Sound great at WOT but at idle sometimes they are a little too quiet.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM
arrie
Simplify
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: forging ahead...making up for lost time and embracing each day thankful to be alive.... nj
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
~~~ CFOT Book Folder ~~~
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by hdkeno
I just got my "new" 06 last week. Was going to keep it totally stock, but just ordered a pair of Lloyds mats, and decided that the stock exhaust is way too quiet. So come August when we make our yearly trek to Carlisle, Im going down bright and early to the Corsa install booth, and have them install a new exhaust on the c6.

I choose corsa over the others, from a lot of referals here on the forums, other owners I know that have them, and quality and nice but not obnoxious sound. Right now Im leaning towards the Corsa extremes,over the sports,found a nice video clip with the car at idle, revved up, and cruising. Nice sound but no drone at idle.

My 00 c5 coupe had B&B bullets on it, and the drone on the highway got old. Plus after talking with the nice folks at Corsa today, Im going the full monty and have them put in the x-pipe as well. Any opinions or preferences etc. on either the sports or extremes would be welcome.

First off, did you try pulling the NPP fuse for wide open exhaust? I didn't think it made a big enough difference but some do. As for me, I chose Corsa Sport.....touring too mild - extreme too, um, extreme.....I didn't want my car arriving before I did, if you know what I mean. With that said, I only did the pipes (not cats back-from x pipe back) and believe it or not, other corvettes (and random people as well) have stopped next to me at traffic lights to tell me my car sounds incredible. Cost less and I really wasn't looking for more HP.....that is just what I did=whatever you do, you will love it because you now own a VETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wo ohoo:
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hdkeno

If you don't like obnoxious not sure would like the Xtremes. Mine are VERY loud at over 4K.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Sport is more popular due to the "not obnoxious" sound. I had Sport for years but switched to Xtreme a few years ago. The two are NOT similar in sound!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by arrie
First off, did you try pulling the NPP fuse for wide open exhaust? I didn't think it made a big enough difference but some do. As for me, I chose Corsa Sport.....touring too mild - extreme too, um, extreme.....I didn't want my car arriving before I did, if you know what I mean. With that said, I only did the pipes (not cats back-from x pipe back) and believe it or not, other corvettes (and random people as well) have stopped next to me at traffic lights to tell me my car sounds incredible. Cost less and I really wasn't looking for more HP.....that is just what I did=whatever you do, you will love it because you now own a VETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wo ohoo:
No NPP on his car.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my opinion but, DO NOT judge the sound from clips online!!! You need to hear them in person to decide. From what I've read, each vendor (corsa, borla, B&B) have cars at Carlisle with each of their products on them for you to hear. Whatever you decide now, be open to hearing it live and deciding for sure.... If I'm wrong someone that's been there will chime in. I cant find where I've read this..
Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

extreme. ... if you search wolfdogs16 on you tube, i have multiple sound clips, idle, cruise , acceleration.. West Coast Corvettes also has a summary of those clips on their site for the extreme.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vig1116
Just my opinion but, DO NOT judge the sound from clips online!!! You need to hear them in person to decide. ..
People make that mistake every day. Sounds clips are nothing more than a "possibly close" to "kind of similar" to the actual sound and volume.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion but, DO NOT judge the sound from clips online!!! You need to hear them in person to decide. From what I've read, each vendor (corsa, borla, B&B) have cars at Carlisle with each of their products on them for you to hear. Whatever you decide now, be open to hearing it live and deciding for sure.... If I'm wrong someone that's been there will chime in. I cant find where I've read this..
Absolutely. I thought I wanted Xtremes based on reviews posted here until I drove a car that had them. They sound very good, but were a bit overbearing for my tastes. (and I'm a younger guy lol) I think they would make it a bit difficult to really enjoy your sound system as well as the exhaust sound, which is why I want to try and drive a car with the Sports.

Mind you, transmission choice also plays a factor in the sounds as well. I'd also maybe recommend driving an NPP car that has the fuse pulled.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

TNTC questions on this very topic. Corsa Extreme is very similar to no exhaust at all. My LG headers with NPP in open mode sounds exceedingly like the few clips I have heard of the Extreme option. The Sport seems to be the most popular of all but I agree is somewhat subdued.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
No NPP on his car.
correct...otherwise would of took that into consideration
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Yes they do...Ive been going to Carlisle for 9 years am am familier with the setups.. May not decide on exhaust until Thursday or Friday morning at the show....
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Surf Island
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have long tube headers, x-pipes and Corsa Extreme. Cars will often run beside me, lower their windows to listen. I get thumbs-up alot. When you start to apply pressure, it get wicked fast.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

The fact that you have narrowed it down to two different Corsa options shows you are a wise person who wants only the best for his car. With that being said and as mentioned above the only person you need to please is yourself and sound clips on the internet (while ok) are not the best method to make an investment such as this.

My recommendation (if you are unable to hear them both in person) select the one that you are leaning towrds most and install. If for some reason you don't like them, you can always yank them off and post them in the "Parts for Sale / Wanted" section of this forum. I know the Corsa Sports will probably be sold within hours as long as they are priced reasonably. (Maybe a 10% discount over new)

Just my $0.02. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went to the Ford Nationals two weekends ago they had a Corsa booth set up there. They had Two mustangs there with both systems installed. They let you get in there and punch it to determine which one you want. Not sure if they'll have the same setup at the Corvette show.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Brockman66
When I went to the Ford Nationals two weekends ago they had a Corsa booth set up there. They had Two mustangs there with both systems installed. They let you get in there and punch it to determine which one you want. Not sure if they'll have the same setup at the Corvette show.
Im pretty sure that they do...I know B&B and magnaflow does.

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa sports or extreme dilema

Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

If you have the option to listen I would do that.

I bought Extremes sight unseen. '12 is stock except for the Corsa axleback and X pipe (to get rid of the two mini cats). Currently has stock headers and stock main cats.

My opinion, it is not loud at all. You have a little bit of burble at idle. You can hear a difference in the upper RPM range. Can't really tell much if any difference from stock while cruising.

Basically it is a little deeper, and a little louder except at cruise. I definitely wouldn't want it any quieter than it is. Opinions obviously vary. I have no plans to go back to stock mufflers if I ever get headers.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

If your car is auto tranny, save yourself some money by not buying the X or H pipe. It is not needed. Zero drone without it.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Guys.....it's not Extreme it's "Xtreme".

Quick Reply: Corsa sports or extreme dilema