C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another reason you change your own oil........

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Another reason you change your own oil........

I change my own oil in my Callaway and muscle cars and normally do so in all my other cars.Recently been super busy so my daughters Jeep and the wife's Denali went to a local quik change place. I just changed both myself and literally had to jack them up and use a breaker bar to get the plug out. Almost rounded bolt head on both using a 13 Pt and ended up having to use a 6 pt. No more quik changes for me. I had more time invested in getting the plug out than I did with whole change. Thank goodness they didn't break it off in the pan or block!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Im a do-it-yourselfer all the way, something gets screwed up I have no one to blame but myself.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by rsssguy
Almost rounded bolt head on both using a 13 Pt and ended up having to use a 6 pt.
Those 13-point sockets are murder on bolts. Ha.

Bowling Green likes (or liked) to torque the living daylights out of the oil _filter_. Removal of mine required a filter wrench, some shims wedged in there to keep it from slipping, and a breaker bar. This was mid-roadtrip on my way back from Museum Delivery.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I ABSOLUTELY HATE having anyone else
work on my car. If I need a TPMS replaced, I take the wheel off myself and just give them the wheel. I even hate giving them the wheel!

Fortunately nowadays most things that break can be fixed by the owner.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I ABSOLUTELY HATE having anyone else
work on my car. If I need a TPMS replaced, I take the wheel off myself and just give them the wheel. I even hate giving them the wheel!

Fortunately nowadays most things that break can be fixed by the owner.
Me too.....one of my sensors was acting up and I had a nightmare they used air tools and marred the finish of my black lugs right after cracking my ZR 1 CF splitter when pulling it up on rack. My car has 3400 miles but when I switch to the PS 2's, I have a feeling I will be loading 4 tires up in a truck......
Old 06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

At least you had a plug to remove..... I have heard of them coming out after a "fast change" experience! I hope I never get too old or stiff to change my own oil.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:15 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by carpe dm
At least you had a plug to remove..... I have heard of them coming out after a "fast change" experience! I hope I never get too old or stiff to change my own oil.
I think that after all the horror stories associated with the places and being sued for negligence for not installing or tightening the plug, they are taking it to the extreme. I agree that I would prefer to use a breaker bar than reach down and unscrew it with my fingers. I'm doing all of my own from here on out, regardless of how busy I am!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I am way too busy to DIY with my Vette. I let HP Sales in Pompano do everything. I trust nobody else!!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:39 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 67 years old and I change my own oil in all four of our vehicles. Don't trust anyone else.

Since most garages won't let you behind their doors (for insurance purposes?) to observe, how do you know the flunky filled the engine before starting it and seeing the red oil light, then turning it off to fill it afterwards? Don't think it doesn't happen? I'll sell you a bridge!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:53 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Well based on all these stories I guess im gonna have to invest 1K+ on tools and become a DIY guy, im 34 but not really mechanically inclined...just gonna have to learn thru CF!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my daughter a couple year old Malibu while she was in college. As she was a hundred miles away sometimes she would take the car to a local garage for oil changes. The 4 cylinder engine had a cartridge filter in a plastic case. I had placed a dob of grease on the back side with a pencil mark. The garage charged her for the filter but never removed the cover. Through references she found another place for service. When I checked the top was wiped dry and the filter was changed. Only to find a longer filter was smashed into the cavity.
I know this style filter is more expensive but please sell the correct part you are getting paid for.
Like the old saying goes.... want it done right, do it yourself.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:13 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
Well based on all these stories I guess im gonna have to invest 1K+ on tools and become a DIY guy, im 34 but not really mechanically inclined...just gonna have to learn thru CF!
After about your third change, whatever you invested in tools would be covered. Most expensive will be the hydraulic, low profile, jack. One hockey puck, one jack,one wrench for plug and a filter wrench. Unless you use a quik change place. Then you might need a four post lift and a breaker bar
Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I regularly get coupons from my dealership for oil service for $17.95 and I use them for all of my cars oil changes. For the Vette, I buy my own oil and and they change it for $11. My dealership has three franchises and the Chrysler service takes less than an hour.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Related: After seeing so many parts, draincocks, plugs, etc come flying off at the race track, I'm very inclined to safety wire my drain plug and oil filter. Sometimes, stuff just wiggles loose. Sometimes, you misread a torque wrench. Sometimes, a torque wrench isn't accurate (and that's how my college roommate's VW TDI got a new engine after a timing belt swap).

My only fear is a future buyer will look at it and think it was a track car.

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Unrelated: Back in college, some jackass I got into a road rage incident with at my apartment complex (he damn near ran me over while I was stopped and somehow it was my fault). He loosened the draincock on my motorcycle and all the oil came pouring out on the highway- directly on to my rear wheel at about 75mph.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok... here's my story, not on my vette but on my previous 2011 Denali, came home from the Chevy dealership where I bought it from, just had an oil & filter change, pulled into my garage & went in to have lunch, 45 mins. later went to leave & smelled something burning in my garage, thinking possibly a few drops of oil on manifold (which is common) opened hood to find engine compartment full of smoke ! looked down & saw a shop rag laying on exhaust manifold smoldering !! DAMN !! pulled it out & looked for damage, non found, I'm happy it didn't catch anymore on fire & burn my house down, I called the dealership & told them the story & all I got was "I'm very sorry" **
Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I have a fine, trusted mechanic who knows Vettes and that is all he works on. Been servicing my Vette since new. He changes the oil I have a nice coffee and doughnut, all is good..
Old 06-19-2013, 05:36 PM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

I take my cars to the dealer for alignments, and THAT IS IT !

Get notified of new replies

To Another reason you change your own oil........

Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
If you make some wooden ramps, you could buy everything you need to change the oil for less than $100, I bet. Including the ramps.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

If you make some wooden ramps, you could buy everything you need to change the oil for less than $100, I bet. Including the ramps.
I got everything for less than $40.

Forget the quick lube places - before I started doing my own I used to go the dealer and when I did mine the first time took me 20 min. to get the drain plug out.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I've used Rhino Ramps for years. Put a 2x4 in front of them and the car goes up easy. Slight scraping of the air dams backing down, but what else is new? Have free oil changes for 30 months from the Dealer, so will take it there. Otherwise, would never go to a quick lube place. I trust the Dealer--they know Corvettes, but I trust myself more.

Quick Reply: Another reason you change your own oil........