C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surely you can't be serious...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:14 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Default Surely you can't be serious...

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Had the Vette all washed, polished, and waxed. Took the kid to her fave restaurant. About an hour later come back out, car struggles to start, chugging about 10 times but finally fires up. Check engine light is on. Swing by Autozone for a free code pull.

Camshaft position sensor bank 1
Crankshaft position sensor bank 1.

Whew. No big deal, should be a cheap-ish fix right?

No.

Wiring harness for the cam sensor is acting up and sensor is still setting off a code after fix. Replace sensor, clear codes, good to go.

Then CEL comes back on, still crankshaft sensor, which they thought was being set off by the cam sensor.

Removal of cam sensor is halted. The sensor won't budge, it's stuck. Service manager calls me. My $400 repair just jumped up to $1800 or more. They've determined the only way to get that sensor out is to remove the timing chain and cover and attempt to get at it from inside.

WTF is this?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wait shirley, you brought your car to autozone for the free code read (not bad yet) and let them do the repairs????? Or did you then take it to a dealer? I'm confused. Regardless, if they don't even know the right procedure to remove the sensor and are "going to try" to remove it by taking the timing chain and cover TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!! Find someone that KNOWS if that's the way to do it or not, not someone who's fishing for a solution..... good luck
Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by vig1116
wait shirley, you brought your car to autozone for the free code read (not bad yet) and let them do the repairs????? Or did you then take it to a dealer? I'm confused. Regardless, if they don't even know the right procedure to remove the sensor and are "going to try" to remove it by taking the timing chain and cover TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!! Find someone that KNOWS if that's the way to do it or not, not someone who's fishing for a solution..... good luck
Haha! Good catch. No, I took the car to a dealer I know well for the repairs. AZ just pulled the codes-- had to know what was up, just to ease my curiosity. I'd consider another dealer, but these guys are about the best in the area. We don't have a whole lot of world class choices. Besides, I'd just have to pull out the checkbook a 2nd time. The whole situation should've been an hour, in out, pay up, enjoy my oil change, and done. Very frustrating.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 06-22-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

always search here first....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...on-sensor.html
Old 06-22-2013, 08:42 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Haha! Good catch. No, I took the car to a dealer I know well for the repairs. AZ just pulled the codes-- had to know what was up, just to ease my curiosity.
gotcha, sucks they can't get it off!!! I hope they try some more before taking off the cover and chain, maybe it'll budge....
Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by pewter99
Yeah I found that thread along with several others. Passed it along to the service manager, he wrote everything down on my ticket, said the sensor codes are fairly common. A sensor that won't budge was a definite detour.

Also requested they soak in penetrating oil and try to break it loose before tearing my engine apart.

Maybe I'll have 'em cam it while they're in there, save me a project down the road...
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...so obviously no warranty remaining ?

if so, that sux... G-L with the repairs.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

you need to call this guy:

Old 06-22-2013, 10:04 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Unfortunately no warranty, though I talked to the service manager and he's going to work with me on the cost. Hopefully we can keep it low. Will post updates.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Hard to believe the sensor is stuck, Once the bolt is removed there is just one O ring that seals it into the timing cover. Usually just pops out with a little bit of prying. !! There is no need to remove the timing cover, here is a picture of where the sensor is in the timing cover. The sensor cost about $50-$60 Good luck.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:16 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

yeah the parts are no problem. It's the labor that's the killer. They believe the sensor has swollen up somehow. Very annoying. I will visually inspect the sensor once it's off to verify there is something out of whack and to make sure they're not screwing me.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:37 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
Hard to believe the sensor is stuck, Once the bolt is removed there is just one O ring that seals it into the timing cover. Usually just pops out with a little bit of prying. !! There is no need to remove the timing cover, here is a picture of where the sensor is in the timing cover. The sensor cost about $50-$60 Good luck.

Yeah, seems like just a little prying would get it off once the bolt is removed.

Looks like just a small o ring...

Last edited by jr3; 06-23-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
Hard to believe the sensor is stuck, Once the bolt is removed there is just one O ring that seals it into the timing cover. ...
Once the bolt is removed there is nothing holding it in except friction with the O-ring. Pry it out. What's the worst that can happen - you break it? If the O-ring tears and leaves pieces inside then you might have to remove the timing cover to recover them which is where you are now. The construction and removal procedure is in the service manual which this dealer doesn't appear to have. I'd certainly be looking for another dealer who knows what they are doing.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Once the bolt is removed there is nothing holding it in except friction with the O-ring. Pry it out. What's the worst that can happen - you break it? If the O-ring tears and leaves pieces inside then you might have to remove the timing cover to recover them which is where you are now. The construction and removal procedure is in the service manual which this dealer doesn't appear to have. I'd certainly be looking for another dealer who knows what they are doing.
but if the timing chain cover has to come off, I assume your putting a new chain on regardless of the miles on the car.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

If its just the O ring holding it in after removing the bolt. Why not soak with some penetrating oil first? But if the whole cover needs to come off replace the chain too.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

It's a little late for this advice, but in the future, use Elco Chevrolet in Ballwin. They sell the most vettes in the area, and Bill Galikowski is their vette mechanic who KNOWS vettes. He doesn't have to guess, as he does almost all their vette repairs. Whenever I get my vette worked on there I request that Bill does the work.
I have found Elco to be an excellent dealer, and highly recommend them. I have bought 3 vettes there as well as three Tahoes.

Get notified of new replies

To Surely you can't be serious...

Old 06-23-2013, 02:41 PM
terradriller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious what dealer you are at???

Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
POCOTOO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good Corvette dealer for warranty work in the Seattle area?

THX
Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by POCOTOO
Can anyone recommend a good Corvette dealer for warranty work in the Seattle area?

THX
Try the regional forum. Or ask at Corvette clubs. This man is in MO

Quick Reply: Surely you can't be serious...