C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Run Flats worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Red08
....I have read a lot of posts on CF about owners getting 25,000 to 30,000 miles out of them (brands other than GY's)
Originally Posted by KX
...The poor quality is correct, OEM Goodyears!...
My '13 GS has the Goodyear F1 OEM RF tires, that everyone loves to hate, why?

So far, (only 1,100 miles), they don't seem especially noisy, and they perform well. I guess I'd describe myself as a fairly conservative driver. I don't lite up the rear tires. Stopped that kind of driving years ago.

Is it just the wear characteristics that people are so unhappy with, or is there something else?

What ever it is, I'm certainly not going to throw them away to buy other tires, but I may buy different tires when the OEMs wear out.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most have issue with the traction at low speed during wot use. That said they are rock solid and steady from 120 to 175 mph. I find my MT's wander above 150 and do not leave you feeling confidant.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Atomic C6
Most have issue with the traction at low speed during wot use. That said they are rock solid and steady from 120 to 175 mph. I find my MT's wander above 150 and do not leave you feeling confidant.
Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand, why I've not yet experienced an issue.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm a paraplegic so run flats may be more important or convenient for someone in a wheelchair but the ride quality and traction is so inferior that I just couldn't take the run flats anymore. I have had 1 flat in 26 yrs of being in a wheelchair so I've been fortunate thru the years. I've had many flats on my wheelchairs thru the years though. I just put nitto drags and nitto extremes in 265 35 18 and 305 35 18 and the ride and traction is soooo much better. I have a full Bolton ls2 and have a circle d stall going in so there was no way any run flat was going to stick with a 32-3400 stall. I have three sets of wheels so I guess I could put the run flat wheels tire setup if going out of state by myself. Otherwise in state I have...

Comes with compressor, sealant and 30 plugs for plugging tires plus light in a nice case.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Are Run Flats worth It?

Yes.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I will not win here. Fella's...a non R/F simply does not equal a RF competitor.

Last edited by raspyc6; 06-24-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I too like the run flats. Went from Goodyear to Michelin and like them even better now. A couple weeks after getting my Michelins, I got a nail in the tire. Had it fixed and don't give it a second thought.... The roads in the Los Angeles area are a minefield with nails and debris...
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by brewcitygymratt
...the ride quality and traction is so inferior that I just couldn't take the run flats anymore...
To each his own I guess. As with any sport/hobby, the perfectionist will always demand more than the casual user.

For me, as a casual user, the sheer convenience of the RF tires are worth what ever degradation there may be in performance.

I bought my 'vette for the enjoyment of driving it. I don't do the 1/4 mile thing anymore, and haven't for many years. I don't intend to track drive the car. For myself, and probably the vast majority of folks that buy Corvettes, the RF tires are just fine.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Hameister
To each his own I guess. As with any sport/hobby, the perfectionist will always demand more than the casual user.

For me, as a casual user, the sheer convenience of the RF tires are worth what ever degradation there may be in performance.

I bought my 'vette for the enjoyment of driving it. I don't do the 1/4 mile thing anymore, and haven't for many years. I don't intend to track drive the car. For myself, and probably the vast majority of folks that buy Corvettes, the RF tires are just fine.

Not everyone mods or tracks their car, so for them the factory run flats are perfectly fine and gives peace of mind especially when traveling
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by raspyc6
I will not win here. Fella's...a non R/F simply does not equal a RF competitor.
Of course Michelin rates the Super Sport higher than the PS2 ZP which many can argue is the best run flat out there. So much Chevy asked Michelin to develop a run flat version of it for the C7.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1
Run flats are the only thing I would use on the Vette. I have no desire to be caught out in the middle of nowhere at 3AM.

I really like the firestone firehawk wide ovals. As always, each to their own.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
If everything you are saying about RF's is true, you must have had VERY POOR quality rft's on your car. I have rft's, and they are quiet and smooth. As for not lasting, I have read a lot of posts on CF about owners getting 25,000 to 30,000 miles out of them (brands other than GY's)
I got 44,000+ miles on my fronts which were original 2005 GY runflats. The rears were still good. My tires weren't the ones that wear out fast like on Corvettes at that time with Z-51 suspension.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Just replaced mine with non-RF tires. No qualms. I have slime and a mini compressor. Road noise is much improved.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueAngelSAE
I hate stories like this, makes me second guess switching away from run flats......thanks for sharing though.
I can tell you - wife had an '01 Z06 - not run-flats. She hit something on the I-5 in San Diego, and there was literally no tire left when she got to the shoulder.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Just replaced mine with non-RF tires. No qualms. I have slime and a mini compressor. Road noise is much improved.
I ended up doing the exact same thing.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
I too like the run flats. Went from Goodyear to Michelin and like them even better now. A couple weeks after getting my Michelins, I got a nail in the tire. Had it fixed and don't give it a second thought.... The roads in the Los Angeles area are a minefield with nails and debris...
Here in the Republik of KA we have to be more concerned of dodging road debris like plywood, sheet rock, refrigerators, couches, all kinds of building materials and furniture on freeway. It's real BAD here.
Didn't used to be like this. Maybe moving to Texas may solve this?
It was mentioned in here that certain areas of Texas there are no people around.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Slime and a compressor ain't gonna help if there's no tire carcass left on the wheel. You need to decide - do I need this car to get me from point "A" to point "B" in a timely manner? Then the answer to the run-flat question is pretty obvious. For example, I once sold a Z06 to a surgeon; he called me complaining -- he had a flat, and missed a surgical appointment because he didn't have a spare tire. Duh?

Get notified of new replies

To Are Run Flats worth It?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by HummelS
Slime and a compressor ain't gonna help if there's no tire carcass left on the wheel. You need to decide - do I need this car to get me from point "A" to point "B" in a timely manner? Then the answer to the run-flat question is pretty obvious. For example, I once sold a Z06 to a surgeon; he called me complaining -- he had a flat, and missed a surgical appointment because he didn't have a spare tire. Duh?
I get this. However, mine is a weekend cruiser. Which means I put fewer miles on it as well as the fact that my drives are more leisurely. If I get a flat I can't patch? Sucks, but I can wait for AAA (thanks mom for the lifetime membership). Inconvenient? Yeah, but I'm also a gambler, so I'll take my chances. Shi##y GY RF's or non RF's, smoother ride, better traction, better treadwear, much less road noise. Might not be for everyone, but this has, so far, been a great decision. As they say. Your mileage may vary. YMMV.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 06-25-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 AM
steveb601
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi6998

I also know I am not going to take the time to want to do the roadside repair especially in some parts of L.A. or on the freeway no matter how much minimal time some people say it will take to do. It's a personal preference regarding the risk vs. cost.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Within the last year, I've started two threads about runflats.

The first one was about "How far can you drive on a flat runflat?". IIRC the winner went over 700 miles on a flat and only stopped because he got home. Keep the speed down, stop occasionally to inspect the tire and let it cool a bit.

The second one was about "Tail of the Dragon on a flat tire." We too hit a rock but the tire deflated overnight, and we too couldn't get the tire to hold any air with the compressor (cut in sidewall). Runflats saved us about a day of time, several hundred dollars, and a ton of frustration.

A couple of years ago, the regional autocross champs in our area (man and woman) switched from PS2 non-runflats, to PS2 runflats. They said the ride was the same, handling slightly better, and they won their trophy on the runflats. Runflats do cost a bit more, but when amortized over the life of the tires, I consider that to be very cheap insurance.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 06-25-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Are Run Flats worth It?