C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraped my front splitter on my GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Scraped my front splitter on my GS

I scraped my front splitter on my GS and it looks like Sh@t. Is there any suggestion of how to get it back to smooth where it will match the rest of the un-scraped area (sand paper/steel wool?). I know I can buy a new one for about $125.00 but I fully expect to scrape it again in the future and want to put that off for a few years. The car is just so damn low that turning in and out of places it hits, including my driveway. I don’t know how any of you guys who lower your car can even drive down the road. My 05 base car was bad enough but it was always just the 3 piece spoiler and not a finished part that everyone can see.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Live with it, we all do.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 PM
sinclair1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't make out of the dealership before I had a scrape.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 PM
speedygc5
Burning Brakes

Yup get used to it.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Fact of life really. At least you don't have a ZR1 splitter that costs about $1k if you damage it.

You can probably clean it up a bit with a razor or light sandpaper. You definitely learn how to take dips at an angle by driving this car. Be careful also over speed bumps. Take them too fast and it'll scrape also.

Just remember angles are your friend.

Be careful of humps also as you can get high centered easily.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM
doubleD
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Use fine sand paper and work it till it's smooth. Then wipe on 300 aerospace and use a dry micro fiber towel and buff it good. Good as new.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 PM
99Silverbullet
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
CI 8 & 9 Veteran
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by doubleD
Use fine sand paper and work it till it's smooth. Then wipe on 300 aerospace and use a dry micro fiber towel and buff it good. Good as new.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 AM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Agree. I use a file on the bottom to remove the hanging bits. You can also work the scratched surface with a really fine steel wool (000 or 0000).
As a last step I use Mothers Back to Black.

Get used to the fact that you'll be scratching it from time to time.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been thinking about cleaning mine up and giving it a coat of black spray-on Plasti-dip...
Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Live with it, we all do.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
I scraped my front splitter on my GS and it looks like Sh@t. Is there any suggestion of how to get it back to smooth where it will match the rest of the un-scraped area (sand paper/steel wool?). I know I can buy a new one for about $125.00 but I fully expect to scrape it again in the future and want to put that off for a few years. The car is just so damn low that turning in and out of places it hits, including my driveway. I don’t know how any of you guys who lower your car can even drive down the road. My 05 base car was bad enough but it was always just the 3 piece spoiler and not a finished part that everyone can see.

Thanks
I have 2005 Corvette in factory stock condition. It does enough of scratching. I don't know how these newer Corvettes wide bodys? GS models, Z-06 and ZR-1 Corvettes can drive on public streets let alone live with that. But you do just have to live with it.
I guess its safer on the track an ideal road unlike real roads that need to be repaired or certain driveways.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live with the scrapes. A Corvette is just a car—a nice car albeit. Cars get scratches, scrapes, and chips, no matter how careful we are.

Live with it and enjoy the car.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the club.
You'll be the only one that notices it.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

To the OP ....

I just went through this on my GS. My wife had the car one day and scraped the splitter up real good on something while parking.

The bottom of the splitter was very rough and did not look good.

Buy a "DuraSand" course / medium sanding block. It will smooth out all the rough looking damage. There not at all expensive.

Works fantastic for this

Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gwalsh88

Thanks
You are in a unique position where you dont have to waste the money like I did(three times) for a new splitter when its inevitable that its going to happen again. There is no need on this planet to buy another one because you WILL scrape that one too. At this point, you havent wasted any money on something that will end up just like this one. So take the scrape and chalk it up to EVERYONE else has the scrapes so its no big deal. My buddies brandnew Z06 had a scrape from his first entry into his driveway when he bought it. Its broken in now. Just live with it unless you want to replace one every couple of months.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The splitter or the plastic thing underneath the car that is supposed to scrape so the car doesn't??That thing is only something like 30-40 bucks to replace and it's doing it's job when it scrapes...I'm not sure the GS has one and I haven't looked at mine yet so check and let me know!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
You are in a unique position where you dont have to waste the money like I did(three times) for a new splitter when its inevitable that its going to happen again. There is no need on this planet to buy another one because you WILL scrape that one too. At this point, you havent wasted any money on something that will end up just like this one. So take the scrape and chalk it up to EVERYONE else has the scrapes so its no big deal. My buddies brandnew Z06 had a scrape from his first entry into his driveway when he bought it. Its broken in now. Just live with it unless you want to replace one every couple of months.
Just like curb rash on wheels?

Get notified of new replies

To Scraped my front splitter on my GS

Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Like dem Vettes
I live with the scrapes. A Corvette is just a car—a nice car albeit. Cars get scratches, scrapes, and chips, no matter how careful we are.

Live with it and enjoy the car.
but very difficult to combat Corvette anxiety (like leaving it parked on public lot/street when necessary.(need a psycotherapist to sit in passenger seat while i am in driver's seat). just like Corvette tax.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Thats what I did the first time I scraped mine very fine sand paper then painted with Krylon plastic paint.I just bought a new one and am making an Aluminum plate for the bottom of it.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 AM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The secret to handling speed bumps and even worse things like speed tables is to slow down as you approach them and accelerate slightly as you go over. That will raise the front just enough to clear without scraping.

It takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it, it becomes automatic.

Quick Reply: Scraped my front splitter on my GS