C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Old 06-29-2013, 03:24 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Last night I went to WalMart to pick up a prescription from the RX. I use Walmart because they are only a mile away. So I got there and there at 8:30PM and not too many people there. So, I parked 1/2 way out in the parking lot. The closest car was 12-15 spaces away. Figured that was plenty far away.

So when I came out, there's a fairly new 2 door Honda Accord parked right next to me. No one else around. Just him and me and the previous 12 spaces still empty. Worst of all, I only had about 1 ft between us. Maybe 16 inches at the most. I wasn't sure I could even get in. I am 6'2 @ 250lbs. I have to become a contortionist to get in even with the door wide open. Much easier with the top down. But it was up.

I looked over my car very thoroughly and there was no scratches. But I was quite angry. In a parking lot full of empty spaces and my car parked so far away, there was absolutely no reason for that person to park next to me, and especially so close. His/Her car was 2 door also. So I'm sure it was not that easy for them to exit their car either. Then too, they may have been 5-8 @ 140. So why does someone do that? Were they trying to tick me off? This is not the first time that someone has parked right next to me even though there were plenty of other spaces and my car was parked far from the building. And its not just at Walmart that it happens. Sometimes I understand those who park in 2 spaces.
I started to wait for the person to come out of the store so I could ask them why they had parked so close to me. But I was feeling bad and was irritated so I just left a note on their windshield with their name.......JERK!!!
I thought about it later and maybe that wasn't the right thing to do. But I don't understand people who do things like that. Would they go into an empty waiting room and sit right next to the only person there? Or do they think that because they are anonymous, they can act like a jerk? Why else would someone do this?
Thanks for letting me rant. I know I'm not the only one who has had this happen. But it just makes no sense.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Knowklew
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

This is a phenomenon that I will never understand. I park far away with all of my vehicles and it never fails that this happens. I think people are generally just a-holes.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You left a note on their windshield calling them a jerk because they parked close to you in a public parking lot and did NO DAMAGE? Wow. There was one jerk parked there for sure.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:32 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

4$$h013 magnets
Old 06-29-2013, 03:33 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You left a note on their windshield calling them a jerk because they parked close to you in a public parking lot and did NO DAMAGE? Wow. There was one jerk parked there for sure.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:36 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe that person felt the same way about their car as you do yours. Thus believing you were the safest to park next to. You were wrong to get upset and leave a note calling names in any area open to the public....
Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM
steveb601
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life is way too short....
Old 06-29-2013, 03:59 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

First - Let me start by saying you were not the "jerk" in this situation. I applaud you for your self-control by just placing a harmless note on this douche-bag's car.

Secondly - Unfortunately it happens all the time and it is not just Corvettes. I experienced the same thing a few weeks ago when we were out in my wife's Traverse. We were at Target. When we arrived I parked way out back with nobody near. When we come out there was this couple who looked like they were homeless getting in some beat-up old P/U truck. I had to wait for them to get in their vehicle since I couldn't get in ours. I shook my head and said some choice words under my breath to which the toothless wonder retorts, "we were here first". My wife shouted back as they pulled away, "What are you 5?"

Third - It was a Wal-Mart you were at after all, so nothing surprises me what goes on in a parking lot of one of those places. I make it a point to never go there, I don't care how low their prices are. They don't make those books called "The people of Wal-Mart for nothing".

The driver either did it out of jealousy or was busy texting while parking and didn't even notice your car was there. Some of the responses above are right though, in a public parking lot everything is fair game. I guess that is why there are so many Corvettes that are garage queens, because it is the only way to ensure you keep it looking good. The majority of the driving public is not qualified to be behind the wheel. That percentage goes up for the average Wal-Mart customer.

Good luck out there.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 PM
steveb601
Racer

No damage? Life is way too short....
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

To make their car look good!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I guess that is why there are so many Corvettes that are garage queens, because it is the only way to ensure you keep it looking good.

You are spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J Vette
Last night I went to WalMart
There's your problem.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Because I am interested in the Human species, I think I would have waited for the Honda owner to come out of the store and asked him / her: "I'm working on an essay on social behavior,would you mind telling me what thought process went through your brain that prompted you to park your car a foot away from mine, and 15 spaces away from any other car?"

Life is short, not worth a blood pressure boost, but inquiring minds want to know.

Some strange and puzzling specimen out there to put it mildly.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:13 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

It's because people are jealous a- holes, plain & simple..
Old 06-29-2013, 04:20 PM
twinarrow99
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Beware of WalMartians. I only take my pickup there and try to look goofy. No one has messed with me yet.

Last edited by twinarrow99; 06-29-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,235 Likes on 703 Posts

It happens all the time. We stopped at a Mcdonalds and parked way out back and came out to find this.....

Name:  Wagon Parking.jpg
Views: 5740
Size:  196.1 KB

It was pulled by an old lady who had to go out of her way to put it there...
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
steveb601
Racer

Yes, there are a lot of jealous people out there. Its the reason I absolutely never park far away from the pack. To the jealous mean-spririted person in their mind they tell themselves "This guy thinks he's "special" and his car is "special." Then they try to figure out ways to **** you off like parking next to it, keying it, etc. So I park near everybody else and haven't had a scratch or a ding on mine yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk541
First - Let me start by saying you were not the "jerk" in this situation. I applaud you for your self-control by just placing a harmless note on this douche-bag's car.

Secondly - Unfortunately it happens all the time and it is not just Corvettes. I experienced the same thing a few weeks ago when we were out in my wife's Traverse. We were at Target. When we arrived I parked way out back with nobody near. When we come out there was this couple who looked like they were homeless getting in some beat-up old P/U truck. I had to wait for them to get in their vehicle since I couldn't get in ours. I shook my head and said some choice words under my breath to which the toothless wonder retorts, "we were here first". My wife shouted back as they pulled away, "What are you 5?"

Third - It was a Wal-Mart you were at after all, so nothing surprises me what goes on in a parking lot of one of those places. I make it a point to never go there, I don't care how low their prices are. They don't make those books called "The people of Wal-Mart for nothing".

The driver either did it out of jealousy or was busy texting while parking and didn't even notice your car was there. Some of the responses above are right though, in a public parking lot everything is fair game. I guess that is why there are so many Corvettes that are garage queens, because it is the only way to ensure you keep it looking good. The majority of the driving public is not qualified to be behind the wheel. That percentage goes up for the average Wal-Mart customer.

Good luck out there.

I think leaving a small amount of space for you to get in your car was good enough reason to leave the note. My guess was he/she was trying to pi$$ you off. Corvette jealousy maybe?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradl1982
There's your problem.
I didnt think you were allowed to park a vette at Walmart.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Once you realize you are only driving a car and stop parking way out in the middle of nowhere, people will leave your car alone. When you park like you think you're something special, you end up getting targeted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??