C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you go out of your way when parking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 AM
arrie
Simplify
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: forging ahead...making up for lost time and embracing each day thankful to be alive.... nj
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
~~~ CFOT Book Folder ~~~
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I used to but got tired of people parking next to me with a zillion other available parking spots no where near me.....
Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Then again I keep my cars in tip top condition so I will always end up parking far away. At least I won't end up fat. Walking is good for you.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
The Wal Mart nearest to my house has the biggest parking spots I've ever seen. And they are angled where, if you park properly between the lines, it's impossible to hit cars on either side with a door, even our big ones.

The negative side of this is that people can also easily get a shopping cart between parked cars, and most people can't drive shopping carts very well. Not only that, at least half the people just leave the cart sitting where they emptied it without walking 10 feet to put in the proper storage corral.

I once saw a woman parking, and there was a cart in front of her. Did she go to another spot, or get out and move the cart? No. She just pushed it out of her way, into another car, got out, and walked in the store. That type person seems to be more common at Wal Mart than, say, a Macy's store .... Think translucent spandex on a 250 lb frame ....

I normally take my 12 year old Mazda truck shopping when possible.
"Think translucent spandex on a 250 lb frame ...".
Some people really need to get a clue here. That's so obscene to see a woman with her belly and intestines or whatever hanging out wearing the most revealing, tightest attention getting clothes to broadcast her widebody. It shows a lack of discipline whether it's medical or a eating problem they need to know we don't wan to see those obscene and tasteless things. They need to cover up. Totally tasteless and disrespectful n ugly... No discipline or consideration to others.

Last edited by LS WON; 07-02-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Of course.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I will drive around and look for an isolated spot or an end spot. I don't make a big deal of it. If the car get scratched I will fix it. It hasn't happened yet!!

I like to enjoy my Vette and be careful with it, but it is a car, guys!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Blue Bandit
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes
Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, I normally will avoid busy parking lots when we take the Vette but even with that said I park my 04 Dodge Ram hemi 4x4 out of the way too. Just a habit I got into years ago

However I do park the Vette further away and also pick a spot where a random buggy or idiot can not hit it by mistake.

Like others said it is just a car but the excersise can't hurt me either
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rky Mtn C6
Typical abuse of power. I bet you voted for Obama.
Oh yes.... the guy that lead us into two unnecessary wars and wrecked our economy robbing us of a good part of our hard earned 401k savings with bank deregulation policies?.....

Take your BS political crap where it belongs: outta here.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I make my living sitting on my butt in front of a computer. When I got the Vette, I did want to take care of it, so I started parking as far away as I could. I found that I also enjoyed a bit of exercise briskly walking from and then back to the car.

Now, I always park as far away as possible in any car I'm driving. It used to drive my wife and kids a bit nuts, but now after a couple of years, my wife does it too. I've found that it even saves time at places like Costco on the weekends when the parking lot is a zoo....there's always a "north 40" that is empty and void of the chaos of weekend shoppers!

And...when you sit on your butt for a living, those little extra parking lot walks are considered part of my "corporate fitness program!"
Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
As I said in the other thread I have a NYPD Captains plaque and a NYS Court Officers Union plaque. I'll park on the sidewalk if it means not parking near anybody or to get close enough to where I want to go. And yes I have parked on the sidewalk before.
This type of behavior is why Corvette owners get bad reputations. Get over yourself. And no I'm not jealous of anyone that thinks he's a cool guy.
I personally park towards the end of most parking lots in every vehicle I own, but because I don't want deal with looking for a closer spot. I have no problem walking the length of a parking lot, and it gives older people more of the closer spots.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmthoele
This type of behavior is why Corvette owners get bad reputations. Get over yourself. And no I'm not jealous of anyone that thinks he's a cool guy.
Why the bad rep? Because I CAN park where I want? Sound like your a pissed off dud who's mad that I have connections and use them to my advantage. I'm not over myself never said I was. Never said I thought it was cool having the advantages I do. Bottom line; I can and do park where I want when it is advantageous to my situation. Get over it! And yes I am cool.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:07 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, absolutely but there are drawbacks. I can't casually just pick a new place for dinner. That requires a drive the day before in my d.d to make sure my ZR1 carbon splitter clears the grade of their entrance. Then I interview the valet people to confirm I will be parked in front if I do show up and I will be able to park it myself. My plastic air dam sits 1.3 inches off the ground so yes, mine is pretty slammed to the ground. I traded a triple black 04 vert in on this CE GS vert Callaway. I drove the wheels off the 04. Took it EVERYWHERE and parked it carefully but was never O.C.D. I have 3400 miles on this one and no damage except for 2 previous C.F. Splitters I would love to take this car down to Navy Pier but that will never happen. If I ever do take it to the city, it will be for a blast down L.S.D. What it boils down to is I'm enjoying this gem less than my 04. But......I can't change so I'm enjoying it as much as I possibly can. I have a ton of places to go after all my research.....Nothing better than a good cruise with the top down with no destination. Just fun
Old 07-02-2013, 03:24 PM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
First of all i never said I was a member of the NYPD OR CAN'T YOU READ. What are you one of those keyboard tough guys because you call me a d***bag? I have connections that come from friends respecting me.Come to NY and do it to my face and you will see NY toughness in action and the little respect we give to people like yourself for calling people out. Keep walking by yourself because thats were you belong.
I don't know if you are aware of how you are coming across in this topic or if you simply just don't care. Whatever the case, it doesn't matter. Let's try to keep this about whether or not members go out of their way when parking.

Thank you
Old 07-02-2013, 03:54 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Black-GS
I don't know if you are aware of how you are coming across in this topic or if you simply just don't care. Whatever the case, it doesn't matter. Let's try to keep this about whether or not members go out of their way when parking.

Thank you
No I don't care. But I have stated I park on the sidewalk to AVOID parking near other cars if I have to. That would be on topic.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
TomcatMF
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arrie
I used to but got tired of people parking next to me with a zillion other available parking spots no where near me.....
This happens to me all the time, and it's usually some big jacked up truck or SUV that makes it nearly impossible to see oncoming traffic as I pull out of the parking spot.

I just look for any open spot that is wide enough to easily get in and out of.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 PM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I park all my cars in the best spot to avoid damage ...drives the wife crazy, but I like the exercise. Ironically, my Sequoia with 175K miles was hit & run in front of my house last week while I was home.

Parking lot story at Costco. Lazy POS couldn't return cart 20 feet and dumped her cart directly behind a custom painted Harley in the spot next to her's. It was a windy day so I detoured to return the cart and avoid some guys coronary. The best part was when I scared the sheetz out of her by tapping on the window while she was texting. Told her "I returned your cart to avoid damaging the owner's custom paint job" ...just looked at me like I was the idiot.

On the bright side, I cut the woman a break by doing it myself and keeping my wife from speaking her mind to the woman.

Last edited by gar4403; 07-02-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I go *way* out of my way in parking my Corvette, and it's a pain in the ***.

I park far enough away that there are no cars around me, then I park over a line so that I kind of take the space next to mine. The parking lot is big and it's a long walk to my office, much longer than if I drove my honda accord and parked up front.

Considering my commute is 3.5miles and I have to park so far from the building, this parking business adds a significant percentage of time to my commute.

*Sigh*. The price of owning the most beautiful car on the planet. But when I leave work and walk ALL THE WAY OUT to the far end of the lot and then see my shiny black Z06 glistening in the setting sun, it takes all the willpower I have to not run to my car with arms open and hug my car and say, "I love you, baby!"

Last edited by Adam_W; 07-03-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you go out of your way when parking?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I don't go out of my way as I find that when you try and park in the lower forty, all it does id draw attention to the car and causes some people to park next to you and in a lot of instances they park next to the driver’s door and get close enough so it is difficult for you to get in. Almost all of the parking lots around here have fairly wide spaces as compared to the older standard sizes. What drives me crazy is to pull into a parking lot and find a car that is taking up two spaces either by parking with the space divider in the center of the car or where they pull in parallel to the spaces, and I hate to say this, but the majority of the time it is a Corvette.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a galaxy, far far away...
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bunch of babies on here.

It's just a car.
I park as close as possible, I daily drive my car since 2009 when I got it, it lives outside uncovered. Right now I have 3 spider webs and a 3month layer of dirt on it lol. ( I live on a lake so the spider webs show up over night to catch all the bugs)

Last edited by Tikiman12; 07-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you go out of your way when parking?