C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Advice: Which Michelins for '12 GS Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Tire Advice: Which Michelins for '12 GS Coupe?

My OEM GY's are nearing end-of-life after a little over 10k miles on my 2012 GS coupe. Based on prior threads, I'm assuming that my best bet for comfort (noise and ride) and performance is Michelin, either the Pilot Sport PS/2 ZP or the Pilot Super Sport. I don't know which is better. I see on TireRack.com that the PS/2's are runflats and cost about 50% more per set than the non-runflat PSS's. I would greatly appreciate advice from forum members. I plan on seeing what price my dealer will offer vs. ordering from TireRack and paying my dealer a handling fee; I'm having my dealer do all the mounting, balancing, alignment, etc. since I've had great experiences with them and they work on a lot of Corvettes (Bill Stasek Chevy in Wheeling, IL). Thanks!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think some info is missing: how do you driver your car? when do you drive your car (seasons, since you do have them)? are you worried about non-runflat? or, is it only the money difference? don't even know if all seasons fit/made for your car---are you concerned at all about that?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM
AviBen
Racer

Good questions; here are the answers: The car is garaged during the winter; I drive it from early April until Thanksgiving (weather permitting), in the rain but never in snow. During the time of year I drive it, it's my daily driver. (They don't make all-seasons in my tire size, as far as I know.) I drive the car "hard", but I don't expect to take this one to the track.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:00 PM
festone
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the risk of starting another endless thread about which tire is better I switched my GY RF's (on a 2010 GS vert) over to the Michelin PSS. Bought a can of slime and a good inflator and stopped worrying about the "what if's.....".

The tire is great - very good traction, much quieter. If you search the Forum I think that you will find that those of us who switched to non-RF Michelin's are very happy.

The big issue is how comfortable are you without the safety of RF's.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Limited in selection for GS sizes, especially for the rear. I just ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports and actually found Discount Tire to be more competitive than Tirerack....After much thought and research I decide to order one size up 285/35zr18 fronts and 345/30zr/19 rears. My dealer also price matches, but I can watch the process at Discount tire and the Dealer area is closed from view. They had to order them so I haven't had them installed yet. I also ordered a set of black chrome rims from a forum vendor so I haven't decided if I will do the swap or bring the car in.

Also...the larger size rears were cheaper than stock sizes...

All season is available for the fronts, just not the rears....I think that is the new tire they just came out with..

Last edited by BlueAngelSAE; 06-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Jimailer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

From the descriptions, I don't see a lot of difference: they're all made primarily for warm weather, not good near freezing, supposedly have good design for rain.

If rain is an issue for you, the PS2 Pilot Sport on Michelin's site says "Outstanding wet and dry performance.
Unique tread design utilizes both a semislick outer tread and a wet-styled innertread to help deliver high levels of wet and dry performance."

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

The PSS does not say the same.

Frankly, it then boils down to only a few things: newer or older "model" of tire, runflat/non-runflat, rain, and cost.

Your choice and good luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Super Sports :thumbs

I just put on a set a few weeks back....Huge difference from the Goodyears. Love them
Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

When I got my '09 (not a GS) it still had the factory tires on it. The back tires were still almost like new, but the fronts had an alignment issue and wore badly on the inside, so I had to replace them. Hitting a bump would throw me around on the road ... dangerous.

So I did something not really recommended ... bought Pilot Super Sports for the front, non-run flat, and kept the rears with the intention of replace them with the PSS's when they wear out.

I don't drive it hard so the run flat/non run flat isn't really an issue. The PSS's are much quieter, no vibration at all, last a long time. The worst thing I can say about them is I don't really like the way they look ... buy they perform great and are orders of magnitude above the original tires.

On my previous Vette I had Pilot Sports and really liked them ... very quiet compared to the Goodyears. I had one set of Michelin run flats, and one set of non-run flats, and I couldn't tell any difference between the two.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

One of the guys on here found the Michelin's 285 345 combination for $1286.00 shipped. I just ordered mine, add coupon code retailmenot12 and gives you a 12% discount and free shipping.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 PM
pkmoose
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Isn't Michelin coming out with a new tire on July 1st? A PS3 or something to that effect
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 PM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Installed Michelin PSS this spring on my 2010 GS - big improvement.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 PM
BLK427
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I put PSS on my Z about a month ago.Car had GY F1s,totally different car now it will not break the tires loose with the Michelins.With the GYs it felt like my BB Chevelle 1st thru 3rd roll into it at any time and try and keep it on the road(which was a lot of fun).The Mich are also much quieter as others have mentioned.You will not be disappointed.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
K.Shupe
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

LOTS of information here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1575185924

Everyone has a favorite but when I had my Z06 I bought a set of Bridgestone RE050 RFT and was very happy with them based on comfort, traction, road noise, and cost. The Michelins are great tires but do a search on the Bridgestone and see what others have said.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I have about 10,000 miles on my Super Sports. Fronts are down to 8/32ds, rears are down to 7/32ds. They do start with about 10/32ds but my OEM tires on my 2011 GS were gone within 11k miles (about 8 1/2 32ds to start for the goodyears).

I never owned the PS2 ZP so I cannot compare. Michelin does say the Super Sport is a better tire in every category.

Super Sports are great in the cold if it is dry. They are even better than the Michelin A/S ZP which I did have on my 08. They are a lot better than the Goodyears in the cold. I have been down to 5F in dry cold.

They provide real good wet weather grip. There are other tires that provide more grip for rain but not many.

Performance-wise they are fantastic. They handle better then the OEM Goodyears. They seem to be easier at slow parking maneuvers.

Ride is a lot better. On my 13 I replaced my new (400 miles) goodyears with used (5k) super sports from my 11 GS and the Super Sports were clearly quieter and rode smoother.

Gas mileage increased about 10% compared to the Goodyears.

I would estimate about 25-30k mile wear for the Super Sports, maybe more.

I run mine at 32psi and I have not had any adverse wear. I have it aligned to the center of the GM XFA specs, which is around -1.0 degree of camber in the front and -1.2 in the rear. The non XFA (narrow body) specs get confused a lot by dealerships and are wrong for the GS/Z06.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Regarding the runflat vs non-runflat issue, OP needs to think about how much trouble it would be to have a flat. Not likely, but they do happen.

For some peoples' driving, a flat is merely a minor inconvenience. For others, it could be deadly. Depends on how/where/when you use the car.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 PM
AviBen
Racer

Thanks for all the replies!

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Advice: Which Michelins for '12 GS Coupe?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by festone
At the risk of starting another endless thread about which tire is better I switched my GY RF's (on a 2010 GS vert) over to the Michelin PSS. Bought a can of slime and a good inflator and stopped worrying about the "what if's.....".

The tire is great - very good traction, much quieter. If you search the Forum I think that you will find that those of us who switched to non-RF Michelin's are very happy.

Me too, to all of the above!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueAngelSAE
Limited in selection for GS sizes, especially for the rear. I just ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports and actually found Discount Tire to be more competitive than Tirerack....After much thought and research I decide to order one size up 285/35zr18 fronts and 345/30zr/19 rears. My dealer also price matches, but I can watch the process at Discount tire and the Dealer area is closed from view. They had to order them so I haven't had them installed yet. I also ordered a set of black chrome rims from a forum vendor so I haven't decided if I will do the swap or bring the car in.

Also...the larger size rears were cheaper than stock sizes...

All season is available for the fronts, just not the rears....I think that is the new tire they just came out with..
I'd love to see some pics, especially side views.

One problem with some oversized tires is the sidewalls are bigger and looks more round and bias-ply-like.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by festone

Exactly what I came here to say. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Quick Reply: Tire Advice: Which Michelins for '12 GS Coupe?