C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked my car. Long story

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 04:42 PM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It was on a four lane road with a speed limit of 55. I had Michelin all season run flats on it. The highway patrolman checked the depth and they were all good. The highway patrolman checked everything at the scene. The way it happened was when I went through the light I made a hard right turn to stay in the right lane instead of swinging out into the left lane.It was a four lane road. The right lane was full of sand from all the rain we have been having around here. The back broke loose and then it caught traction on clean pavement. I shot straight into the bank head on. It then spun the car around and backed into the bank. It happened so quickly I and such a shock. I did get the brakes on but it was way to late . The highway patrolman told me there was not any evidence of speeding or of reckless driving.He talked to everyone behind me and in front of me on what they saw. He cited me for failure to maintain lane control. I went to put my top up when the tow truck got there and the top would not close down on to the windshield. The pics do not show how the windshield is laying back. I was on a run with my vette club and we all tried to get the top to close but it was no where near the top where it locks down on to the windshield.

So all in all it was my fault not paying enough attention to the road condition.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Yeah, the problem was the sand let you yaw around and then when it gripped you were pointed the wrong way. That can happen in a hurry because the performance is so high on these cars. When they grip and go, you had better be pointed the right way.

Anyway, lesson learned, I guess, and you seem to be relatively ok. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you get another Corvette.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paganharley

So all in all it was my fault not paying enough attention to the road condition.
Glad your ok, thanks for sharing your story, few would admit to their error....speaks to your character!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I hope this all works out for you.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 PM
arrie
Simplify
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: forging ahead...making up for lost time and embracing each day thankful to be alive.... nj
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
~~~ CFOT Book Folder ~~~
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm so so sorry that happened. I'd be sick over it. Hopefully you're up and running soon.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Yeah, the problem was the sand let you yaw around and then when it gripped you were pointed the wrong way. That can happen in a hurry because the performance is so high on these cars. When they grip and go, you had better be pointed the right way.

Anyway, lesson learned, I guess, and you seem to be relatively ok. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you get another Corvette.
I agree. These kind of things are like "snap oversteer" (also lift throttle) and they can happen fast, even at seemingly slow speeds. The major contributors were the clean and sandy road surfaces. If it had been consistently one or the other, OP would have had a chance of correcting and driving out of it. The two combined produced unpredictable conditions/results.

I also applaud the OP for having the courage to come on here and describe his and his car's errors.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My friend, don't beat yourself up over this as the same scenario could have happened to anyone. I hope it all works out in the end for you and I am sure it will. The figure of $6k is just totally ridiculous and beyond lowball...I also would bet your black beauty is totaled out. Best of luck to you, sir.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM
paganharley
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks everyone for your support. This was my first vette, something I longed for all my life. Screw my pride I hate seeing my car like it is.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks everyone for your support. This was my first vette, something I longed for all my life. Screw my pride I hate seeing my car like it is.
Cars can be fixed or replaced much easier than bodies. Nobody was hurt, which is what really counts.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Stay Strong Vette Brother....you will ride again soon...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Lesson learned: As soon as control is lost, lift and brake.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear it. This too will pass.

Its amazing how many videos are on YouTube that show corvettes losing it not unlike what you describe. And consider that's just the ones on video...so don't feel so bad, you are not the only one.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OP was right behind me when he pulled out of the corner. We were not hitting it hard, like he said there was sand and a dip at the same spot which probibly helped the wheels break loose. We tried to put his roof up but it was lowerd on the one side and would not line up into the latch holes. I watched it all in my mirror, the back end came out and he was gone into the bank. Just like he said I was amazed it happened like it did.
I was in a vehicle years ago my wife driving at 55MPH hit the shoulder and she over corected we rolled 5 1/2 times. It happens fast somtimes and you have no reaction time.)
Hope the get that sortted out for you soon
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Keep 'Em Flying
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

glad your ok.these cars have tremendous power and torque,and if you do not pay attention 100% of the time something bad can happen.you said this was your first vette.i hope its not your last.alot of people get in trouble with these cars just like you did.these cars are deceptively smooth and fast.it lulls the inexperienced driver into a false sense of security.it works most of the time on straight roads in good conditions.but when something happens,like happened to you and you are not ready for it or do not exspect it, trouble can happen and usually does.it sure looks like a lot of damage to your car.my suggestion is get it fixed and trade it in for a new one.good luck.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Old Boot
.... We tried to put his roof up but it was lowered on the one side and would not line up into the latch holes. ...
Just wondering how the window pillar got bent -- did it hit the side of the hill?

OP - Glad you're OK and I hope they total it. Seems like the window pillar alone could cost thousands.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way you see the car sitting is the opposite of the way it hit. If you look at the pics he posted you will see the bank behind it is roughed up. He hit almost square on then popped and landed kindda stradled over the ditch pointing out. Actually it was pretty impressive and scary at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To Wrecked my car. Long story

Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 PM
paganharley
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11

No the car hit straight into the bank. Then it is spun around. All I can think of is that it bowed the front back onto it self or the twist it got from being spun around.
Also, this was my first vette but I have had it since 2010 and it was a daily driver as it was the only vehicle I own. I have had drag cars back in the 70s and hot rods. Just sort of clear things up that I have driven plenty of cars with lots of power and motorcycles.

This is the first wreck that I have been in that has been my fault, after 40 plus years of driving. I know my limits and now age has came up on me I know reaction time has fallen off. I guess you can say I let my guard down and wasnt paying attention as I should have.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

No the car hit straight into the bank. Then it is spun around. All I can think of is that it bowed the front back onto it self or the twist it got from being spun around....
Sounds like one side of the car got bent upwards. That can't be only $6K to repair. Maybe they didn't know about it in the initial estimate.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Paganharley, something to think about since you said you made a hard right and have an 05 vert. No idea if you did the steering column recall but your active handling may have turned off and with the sand could have contributed to it all in a perfect storm of events. Here is the link to the recall in case you are not aware of it. Like someone said, check the codes.. Good luck with it all.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gm-r...2006-corvettes

Quick Reply: Wrecked my car. Long story