C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB and couple other rookie questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Key FOB and couple other rookie questions

Sorry for some of these "rookie" questions but still coming across some things to ask

Is it ok to start the car and get out and walk away with car still running, my regular mechanic said some cars do not "like" that but should not be an issue.

I keep the Vette in the garage and have not yet programmed the garage door opener to the factory buttons in the Vette so lot of times I will back it out of the garage and I just leave the key FOB on the console while I shut the garage door and then come back to the car

We have the Wife's Trailblazer programmed for the garage door but have not programmed the Vette yet and guess I need to sit down with the manual and figure out how to do this. It's an older garage door and I programmed the TB very easy YEARS ago.

Also am I correct that I could program our house alarm to this as well, we do have a remote for the house alarm but would be neat to program the factory buttons to this if possible

Our garage door opener is one with the little switches

Also when I park the car and walk away the horn sounds, is this actually locking the car as well???
Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Car will continue to run without FOB in car - no issue. Horn is telling you FOB left in car. You can program these messages using the DIC. Check your manual. Be careful no one is waiting for you to leave the car running some morning or it could be bye bye Vette
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I leave mine running and get out once in a while. It doesn't hurt anything. The horn honking is letting you know it locked. You can turn that off in the DIC so that just the lights flash. If it honks three times it's letting you know you left the fob in the car. This happens to me once in a while if I get out then back in without shutting the door.

Here's a link to the FAQ's. You can download a PDF of your owners manual if you like. There is a ton of good info here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...questions.html
Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

THANKS, just read my post and not sure I was too clear on my questions(3rd glass of Makers Mark and Diet Coke).

So it is OK to get out WITH FOB in my pocket and leave car running

And when I leave the car, I like the sounding of the horn to signal and have learned to change all those settings-pretty much like wife's TB, I DO NOT have to push LOCK on the FOB for the car to lock?? it is locking automatically if I hear the horn sound and lights flash since those options are checked??

I have figured out that I can just walk up and open the door with FOB in my pocket and mine also has the window valet option which I like(daughter has it on her Infinity ). It is a neat feature
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Try this to program your opener button in your car: Take your regular remote control into the car, and simultaneously press the button on it and the button you want to use in your car. Hold for a few seconds until the light blinks or you hear a beep. That should do it.

Make sure your car is not in the door opening though ... you might let the door down on your roof if you do.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Yes it is okay to get out of the car while it is running with the FOB in your pocket.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Try this to program your opener button in your car: Take your regular remote control into the car, and simultaneously press the button on it and the button you want to use in your car. Hold for a few seconds until the light blinks or you hear a beep. That should do it.

Make sure your car is not in the door opening though ... you might let the door down on your roof if you do.
Thanks, thinking that was the way I did it with her TB however we do not have another remote but wonder if I could do it with her TB and Vette side by side with her in one and and me in the other ???
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvilin
Yes it is okay to get out of the car while it is running with the FOB in your pocket.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by tprice
Thanks, thinking that was the way I did it with her TB however we do not have another remote but wonder if I could do it with her TB and Vette side by side with her in one and and me in the other ???
I don't think that will work. I too am learning about a newly acquired C6. I just programmed the homelink visor in our 2010 and it is EASY, just read the owner's manual for proper procedure. I'm going to re-read that section to see how to program our house alarm also.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 PM
c6tech
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
THANKS, just read my post and not sure I was too clear on my questions(3rd glass of Makers Mark and Diet Coke).

So it is OK to get out WITH FOB in my pocket and leave car running

And when I leave the car, I like the sounding of the horn to signal and have learned to change all those settings-pretty much like wife's TB, I DO NOT have to push LOCK on the FOB for the car to lock?? it is locking automatically if I hear the horn sound and lights flash since those options are checked??

I have figured out that I can just walk up and open the door with FOB in my pocket and mine also has the window valet option which I like(daughter has it on her Infinity ). It is a neat feature
Makers and diet coke.try the makers and 1 ice cube.Anyway try some 1792 its even smoother happy holiday

Get notified of new replies

To Key FOB and couple other rookie questions

Quick Reply: Key FOB and couple other rookie questions