C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flats (Goodyear Incompetent Service)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 AM
CABO-Z16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flats (Goodyear Incompetent Service)

Picked up my 1st UFO in my right rear tire at 7,860 miles. Called Goodyear Run Flat Service Center and was advised of a Goodyear shop in Wilmington. Should have known from the start when I asked if they had jacking pucks or low profile jack. Manager said that they did many Vettes and would probably use a scissor jack. Tech pulled car towards bay and when exiting car dropped key on parking lot. Manager then advised that he coud not lift the car. Manager looked at UFO in the tire and advised that it could not be fixed (too close to edge). Went to local Chevy dealer - they will not repair a run flat period. I asked them about the Goodyear road hazard warranty - they had no knowledge. I asked service writer to call the 800 number which he did and Goodyear confirmed warranty. Bad news the Chevy dealer would not work the warranty with Goodyear so Goodyear recommended another shop to take my Vette - Sears are you serious - I told Goodyear that I was extremely unhappy that the shops they recommended in my area were all totally unacceptable, and decided to just buy the tire from my local Chevy dealer (they came close in matching Tire Rack). At least I know the Corvette tech there and he is great. Oh by the way, Goodyear discontinued the road hazard warranty for run flats purchased after Nov 2012. If only the other 3 tires were worn out and I could have purchased some non Goodyear tires.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:09 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Whats wrong with Sears and do you have a Discount Tire near by?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Discount Tire
Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 AM
CABO-Z16
Advanced

Local Sears messed up my 3000 GT and unfortunately no Discount Tire shop close by.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

So why didn't the local Chevy dealer that installed your new runflat deal with the warranty?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Whats wrong with Sears and do you have a Discount Tire near by?
What's wrong with Sears?

The Sears store here in Thousand Oaks told me they do not have the equipment to dismount/mount run flats. But they did tell me they can do the tire rotation.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by CABO-Z16
Picked up my 1st UFO in my right rear tire at 7,860 miles. Called Goodyear Run Flat Service Center and was advised of a Goodyear shop in Wilmington. Should have known from the start when I asked if they had jacking pucks or low profile jack. Manager said that they did many Vettes and would probably use a scissor jack. Tech pulled car towards bay and when exiting car dropped key on parking lot. Manager then advised that he coud not lift the car. Manager looked at UFO in the tire and advised that it could not be fixed (too close to edge). Went to local Chevy dealer - they will not repair a run flat period. I asked them about the Goodyear road hazard warranty - they had no knowledge. I asked service writer to call the 800 number which he did and Goodyear confirmed warranty. Bad news the Chevy dealer would not work the warranty with Goodyear so Goodyear recommended another shop to take my Vette - Sears are you serious - I told Goodyear that I was extremely unhappy that the shops they recommended in my area were all totally unacceptable, and decided to just buy the tire from my local Chevy dealer (they came close in matching Tire Rack). At least I know the Corvette tech there and he is great. Oh by the way, Goodyear discontinued the road hazard warranty for run flats purchased after Nov 2012. If only the other 3 tires were worn out and I could have purchased some non Goodyear tires.
You bought another Goodyear?
Just sayin.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:21 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel your pain. Run-flats are not easy to change with the very stiff side walls. If the vendor doesn't know what they're doing, bye-bye wheel rim.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:29 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
So why didn't the local Chevy dealer that installed your new runflat deal with the warranty?
^ What he said - I don't understand ??
Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by calemasters
What's wrong with Sears?

The Sears store here in Thousand Oaks told me they do not have the equipment to dismount/mount run flats. But they did tell me they can do the tire rotation.

You can do a rotation of sorts if you want to, meaning you can swap sides. Can't do the usual cross-rotation because the front and rear wheels are drastically different size. I just checked my car, and neither the OEM Goodyears (that I have on the back) or the Michelin Pilot SS's (on the front) have a directional arrow. I'm pretty sure the Pilot Sports I had on my C5 were directional, however, so they couldn't even be swapped side-to-side.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

There are a lot of Chevy dealers who don't sell or service Corvettes and they probably don't have the proper equipment to change run flat tires. Not all GY stores have the equipment either. There are two GY stores in my area the nearest one doesn't deal with run flats and sends you to the one 15 miles away.

Bill
Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
You bought another Goodyear?
Just sayin.
absolutely HATE GOODYEARS...would not put them on any of my vehicles. (maybe on dd if i got them free)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by CABO-Z16
Went to local Chevy dealer - they will not repair a run flat period.
Bet this 'non-service' has become policy w/ GM.
My dealer wouldn't touch a flat Bridgestone PP with hole in center of tire. A slam-dunk plug-n-patch if ever there were.

Was told they refused to assume liability; although, they'd no problem whatsoever when it came to my liability buying a pair of new rears.

They're all too smart by half plain & simple, it's gonna come back to bite 'em on the rearside in the end.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Discount Tire
The folks at our local DT think I'm family, I am there so often....
Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Bet this 'non-service' has become policy w/ GM.
My dealer wouldn't touch a flat Bridgestone PP with hole in center of tire. A slam-dunk plug-n-patch if ever there were.

Was told they refused to assume liability; although, they'd no problem whatsoever when it came to my liability buying a pair of new rears.

They're all too smart by half plain & simple, it's gonna come back to bite 'em on the rearside in the end.
My dealer patches my tires and mounts my race tires without any comment except asking when my next track day is. If they are busy I go to the one across the river and don't have any issues at their place. I had them install EMTs with 2/32 of tread so I could use the tires on the track.

Bill
Old 07-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

What's wrong with Sears?

When I was still shopping for tires, I went to Tire Rack. They listed our local Sears as an approved installer. I went over to the local Sears auto center to find out how much they charge. When I told them that they were run flats, they told me that they had tried to mount run flats in the past, and would not attempt to mount them again. Apparently they didn't have a very good experience with rft's.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

What's wrong with Sears?

Tire rotation on a C-6 Corvette?

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flats (Goodyear Incompetent Service)

Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My dealer patches my tires and mounts my race tires without any comment except asking when my next track day is. If they are busy I go to the one across the river and don't have any issues at their place. I had them install EMTs with 2/32 of tread so I could use the tires on the track.

Bill
When tire shop refused to plug/repair my factory GY runflat I used Dyna Plug and drove around for 6 months that way. Then I bought all new non runflat non Goodyear tires. Never did care for Goodyears as they are overpriced.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I work for Goodyear and drive on Bridgestones

I tried to give away the tires on my car when they were a day old and there were no takers
Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by hdkeno
absolutely HATE GOODYEARS...would not put them on any of my vehicles. (maybe on dd if i got them free)

I don't speak GoodYear any more either. Three tire seperations and no warranty. There are other brands that have comparable tires and don't spend millions on advertising.

Quick Reply: Run Flats (Goodyear Incompetent Service)