C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech "Track Attack" in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 AM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katech "Track Attack" in Europe

Hi

Since I am new to this forum I can start of introducing myself. My name is Kim Are and I come from Norway, I have been a big fan of the corvette`s for many years and finally decided to buy my car from the US. I have done some track days and Nurburgring laps the last years and also 5 years of go kart racing in my earlier days.
After looking around online for some cars and going trough my head what I wanted out of my corvette the decision fell on Nigel’s Katech Track Attack Z06. It had the right specs for me and looked ready to hit the track.

I picked the car up from Nigel in February, he was even so kind to let the car sit in his garage for 1 month until i could come and pic it up!
I drove it down to Florida in 1,5 day (980 Miles) and registered it there.

Since the plan all along was to bring it over to Europe I delivered the car to a tuner in Florida to get some work done to there. A little check up and change out some worn parts. It even got the Michelin Cup tires for the track.

The car then was delivered for shipping together with 3 other GM cars, 2 corvettes and one Camaro SS. All heading for the Netherlands.

So after a looong wait we picked up the cars at APP Race Engines in the Netherlands for then to drive down to the Nurburgring. And as I hadn’t tracked the car yet this would be the big test for the car

After some tire pressure sensor trouble I was ready to hit the track, and looking at the specs list I was pretty confident the car would destroy most of the other machines out there.. It took me only half a lap to realize this was not the case

The suspension setup was not good at all, over 120mph it was so loose in the rear it felt like the whole car was going to jump of the track! I handed the keys over to my friend Ed at Gmaxxcars and he only needed 2 corners to tell me what was wrong.. Both rear bearings was gone and the Moton setup on the car should never have been on there (maybe I will go in depth of this at a later time)

So I left the car with Ed for a full rebuild of the suspension. It will get a full uniball link setup, 4 new SKF racing bearings, Pfadt coilovers, rebuild rear wing and a new camber/caster setup.

I hope it all will be ready for next weekend when I go down to the ring again.. Ed is driving the 24 hour race at the ring this weekend so he is a Busy man

I will try to keep som updates here at the forum if people are keen on that. The car will see many European tracks this season including Spa, Imola, Monza and Hockenheim the next month alone
Attached Images       
Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 AM
billmiller8
Burning Brakes

Welcome, great pics, hope you enjoy your Corvette and racing.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great post and pictures! Be sure to keep us updated on your next track day at the Ring!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Very nice and congrats!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:41 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by billmiller8
Welcome, great pics, hope you enjoy your Corvette and racing.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Zyrox
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking car, I hope it's up and running perfectly soon!

Do you have any plans on driving it around any of the (small) Danish race tracks?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:36 PM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zyrox
Great looking car, I hope it's up and running perfectly soon!

Do you have any plans on driving it around any of the (small) Danish race tracks?
Hi, I don`t think so... Since I am a Norwegian I don`t think the Danish goverment would fancy so much my US registered car :/
But who knows
Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 PM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Great post and pictures! Be sure to keep us updated on your next track day at the Ring!
Thanks, As long as the parts arrive from the US in time I will be good to go! I presume ED buys direct from you guys, and latest intel says the parts should arrive late this week!
I bought a GoPro HD camera and a cage mount so I will try to post some videos as well
Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Zyrox
Instructor

Originally Posted by KimZ06
Hi, I don`t think so... Since I am a Norwegian I don`t think the Danish goverment would fancy so much my US registered car :/
But who knows
Yeah, that might be an issue. I doubt they'll do anything if you're only here for 2-3 days, but as I'm not aware of the laws regarding foreign cars in Denmark, I wouldn't risk it.

However, I also wouldn't recommend visiting Denmark just because of our race tracks. They're small and not that exciting.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

... the Moton setup on the car should never have been on there (maybe I will go in depth of this at a later time) ...

Please do! I have Moton coil overs on my Z06, and I'm interested to hear your story.

Nice pics in your post!

Ronald
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
... the Moton setup on the car should never have been on there (maybe I will go in depth of this at a later time) ...

Please do! I have Moton coil overs on my Z06, and I'm interested to hear your story.

Nice pics in your post!

Ronald
Seconded. What was wrong with the Motons?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Seconded. What was wrong with the Motons?
The Motons felt really good when i picked the car up in the US. When it came to Europe it was a different car even on the highway. It became unstable in the rear in high speeds even in a straight line.
It had got some new rubber and a new clutch before it came over so i suspect something happened to the dampers during this job or after. When we lifted the car up and the damper stroked all out the rest of the oil inside the left rear damper ran out So that was the problem that was causing the unstable rear end together with the bearings.

The second problem was the front springs. The had a large gap between the damper cup and spring, they where completely loose when the damper stroked out. This can result in the spring to miss its place in the damper and crack. Not safe and not legal in any European country! And if you drive on Nurburgring the chances of getting airborne is big. In the picture under you se what I mean. As you can see the rear ones had a support spring to hold the spring in place when stroked out.

I talked to a tuning company here in Europe and they said they rebuilt the Moton kit on their cars because it was not right. There was also a problem with the rear dampers and a bracket was made for this as well. I was in such a hurry to catch my plane that I did not get it all.
So for now I am very happy with my new suspension but will sent the Motons in for a rebuild and test them again.
Attached Images     
Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM
KimZ06
Intermediate

A little update after the weekend. I Picked up the car on Friday in Germany and it was all finished and ready to go. The car now feels really good. The new suspension works like a dream and you can go fast without feeling out of control! I had 2 days at the Nurburgring and 1 day at the F1 track SPA in Belgium. Here follows some pictures.. Got some good movies as well, Will post them later.
Attached Images       
Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KimZ06
The Motons felt really good when i picked the car up in the US. When it came to Europe it was a different car even on the highway. It became unstable in the rear in high speeds even in a straight line.
It had got some new rubber and a new clutch before it came over so i suspect something happened to the dampers during this job or after. When we lifted the car up and the damper stroked all out the rest of the oil inside the left rear damper ran out So that was the problem that was causing the unstable rear end together with the bearings.

The second problem was the front springs. The had a large gap between the damper cup and spring, they where completely loose when the damper stroked out. This can result in the spring to miss its place in the damper and crack. Not safe and not legal in any European country! And if you drive on Nurburgring the chances of getting airborne is big. In the picture under you se what I mean. As you can see the rear ones had a support spring to hold the spring in place when stroked out.

I talked to a tuning company here in Europe and they said they rebuilt the Moton kit on their cars because it was not right. There was also a problem with the rear dampers and a bracket was made for this as well. I was in such a hurry to catch my plane that I did not get it all.
So for now I am very happy with my new suspension but will sent the Motons in for a rebuild and test them again.
So if I uderstand you well, the instability was caused by incompetent mechanics, rather than by the Moton shocks themselves ...
And which company said that the Moton kit is not right? Was that APP in Weesp, Netherlands?

Last edited by Z06Ronald; 05-30-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 AM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
So if I uderstand you well, the instability was caused by incompetent mechanics, rather than by the Moton shocks themselves ...
And which company said that the Moton kit is not right? Was that APP in Weesp, Netherlands?
Well, something happened to the rear damper. But the fact that the front spring is all loose is not god As I said i was happy with the car before they took everything down for the clutch change. I will now get a price on fixing the Motons and the upgrades they did ti these kits here in the Netherlands. Then they should be very good
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for sharing; very interesting comments.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Congratulations on your Corvette and for using it as the good Lord intended.

Without question Katech is one of the premier names in Corvette performance. I'm sorry the car wasn't quite ready out of the box but IMO it takes time to get your car dialed-in the way you want or (or the way it needs to be). Going to the Pfadt suspension (and replacing the faulty bearings) should make a huge difference. I preferred the LG coil-overs but I know many guys who use and like the Pfadt coil-over suspension. I commend Pfadt for the range of suspension and 'handling' components they engineer and offer to the track enthusiast. I also use the SKF racing hubs/bearings and they work well. IMO there's always something else you want to do to your car. Hell, after 6 years my car is still a work-in-progress.

I'm envious....I'd love to run the Ring in my car but I rather doubt I'd ship it there just for that. Oh well, even a rental car would be fun. Enjoy your Corvette and keep us posted with your modifications and your results on the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech "Track Attack" in Europe

Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! That picture at Eau Rouge is AWESOME!!!! Glad the new coilovers got you straightened out!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
0Davenport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Wow! That picture at Eau Rouge is AWESOME!!!!
X 10 !!!!!

Quick Reply: Katech "Track Attack" in Europe