C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting after charging

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:00 PM
branmin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starting after charging

Possibly as not driving the lady a lot recently and not on trickle charge having problems but could be I need a new battery.(shows around 13.9) Service Column lock coming on, shock absorbers, "ICE" and windows locking up(again possibly because of battery). Put a powerful battery charge on her and having difficulties starting her up and think not being mechanically minded have totally forgotten how to start the car up after a charge. I normally put my foot on the brake and she starts and yet was told to put her in accessory mode first? Any tips on the correct procedure, normally and after charging appreciated as taking her in tomorrow to be looked at as there is also a burning smell. After charge I let the engine kick over for 15 minutes then took her out for a 5 min spin, came back and again had difficulty starting the car and also the windows wouldn't completely close but did a reset and its ok. Not getting also a read out on one tire.

Thx for any advice given.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by branmin
Possibly as not driving the lady a lot recently and not on trickle charge having problems but could be I need a new battery.(shows around 13.9) Service Column lock coming on, shock absorbers, "ICE" and windows locking up(again possibly because of battery). Put a powerful battery charge on her and having difficulties starting her up and think not being mechanically minded have totally forgotten how to start the car up after a charge. I normally put my foot on the brake and she starts and yet was told to put her in accessory mode first? Any tips on the correct procedure, normally and after charging appreciated as taking her in tomorrow to be looked at as there is also a burning smell. After charge I let the engine kick over for 15 minutes then took her out for a 5 min spin, came back and again had difficulty starting the car and also the windows wouldn't completely close but did a reset and its ok. Not getting also a read out on one tire.

Thx for any advice given.

20 minutes driving isn't nearly enough time to get a battery fully charged. 13.9 is normal when running. No need to put in accessory mode when starting, simply clutch+brake and push the start button. Burning smell was probably something on the exhaust/engine that landed there when it was sitting.

Windows will do that when the battery is dead/replaced. You did the relearn procedure and fixed the problem. Tire pressure monitors do that when they havent been used or get reset. Mine stayed on about 10-15 miles after I had a tire swapped. Everything sounds fine
Old 05-14-2019, 04:24 PM
branmin
Burning Brakes

Thx...still have trouble starting her and now the check engine light is on.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Narddog
Pro

Thx...still have trouble starting her and now the check engine light is on.
What's it doing? Can you take a video of the startup and share it here? Do you have a way to get an OBD reader and grab the code?
Old 05-14-2019, 05:24 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Considering battery was left to die, best cut-to-the-chase & get a new battery.
It'll start when asked then, all this crap will disappear.

Word to the wise, use a battery tender.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 PM
branmin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Narddog
What's it doing? Can you take a video of the startup and share it here? Do you have a way to get an OBD reader and grab the code?

Sorry beyond my capabilities. Probably didn't let the engine run long enough the first time round. So managed to start her again, (had to put another charge on her) and she just took a long time to turn over(just kept clicking) but with letting the car tick over plus taking it out, must have been over one hour with engine running but engine light is now on. Anyway Narddog, normally agree with you but have no power on one side of the garage and extension lead would be in the way of back entrance to the garage and someone could trip over. Hoping to get her going tomorrow morning and run down to my service guy. Again, many thx for the help.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:14 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

These batteries are usually toast if discharged completely. Take the battery to a shop and have it load tested. As for your tender hook up, run your extension chord up and over to your car by hanging it from the ceiling. Worked for me.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Narddog
Pro

Yeah I would just replace the battery and then take her for a spin around town.. Will likely resolve all your problems I just finished dealing with battery issues too so I understand the frustration..
Old 06-19-2019, 05:01 AM
Eagles34
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry beyond my capabilities. Probably didn't let the engine run long enough the first time round. So managed to start her again, (had to put another charge on her) and she just took a long time to turn over(just kept clicking) but with letting the car tick over plus taking it out, must have been over one hour with engine running but engine light is now on. Anyway Narddog, normally agree with you but have no power on one side of the garage and extension lead would be in the way of back entrance to the garage and someone could trip over. Hoping to get her going tomorrow morning and run down to my service guy. Again, many thx for the help.

Hey Branmin - fellow 05' C6 lover here. I am in Naples and would like to talk to you about your car. If you are interested my number is 239-776-5288, and my email is hwebre@cyklawfirm.com.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Unlike older Corvettes these cars are loaded with computers some of which that run and drain battery power even when the car is sitting covered in the garage. Battery drain is real and Chevy started including the "Battery Protection" option for this reason. I don't like battery problems, no one does. If the C6 is a daily driver you are not likely to have battery issues until the battery runs a normal life course like 36 to 48 months. Two things I do to avoid battery issues. First I do not keep the battery much longer than 24 to 30 months and I buy the GM battery designed for the car. Yes that means I am spending $ on a new battery when the old one still has life. I would rather take a preventive maintenance approach than start guessing after two years when the battery might fail. Kinda like the stock market you can never pick the high or the low with 100% certainty. Second I have the Battery Protection GM charger and use it when the car is going to sit with out being driven for more than a couple days. During bad weather the Corvette may sit with out being driven for weeks at a time. I have not had a battery issue and the extra cost is worth the piece of mind knowing the beast will always start.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:54 AM
tiger455
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

once I left the car in accessory mode for a day and the battery was dead, will not jump start and have to put a new battery in it. Lesson learned.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting after charging

Quick Reply: Starting after charging