C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating on whether or not to go to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green

Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

It's way cool....but maybe not worth a 7 hour drive. My buyer's tour got me in the plant for two full days while my car was being built....which was one of the coolest things I've done in my life. But...I only spent about 2 hours at the museum....so if you're just doing the public plant tour (I don't know how long that is), it might not be worth that long drive.

But that being said, if you can take a couple of days and maybe hang out in Nashville for a day too that might be fun. Jack Daniel's plant might be somewhere in between there (heck I don't remember).

Either way...a I'd say maybe a bit much to drag the wife if she's not a Corvette fan, but there's other stuff on the way if you can make the NCM and plant just one of the activities over a few days.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Bellebuddy1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it in 2006 before I was a Vette owner. I highly recommend it! I am just waiting on them to start tours again and plan another trip. The museum alone is worth the trip. That's my .02$ JB
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I would say if you want to see the museum, the plant tour is also worth doing. I enjoyed the plant tour but I don't think it would be worth it to drove almost 500 miles to just do the plant tour though. JMO

If your wife isn't into Corvettes, she probably wont enjoy either...

My wife is very tolerant of the time, I spend with cars, but taking her significantly out of her way for something that she didn't want to do would not be good move.

While I fully enjoyed my time at the plant and museum, if she had come also I don't think she would have shared my enjoyment. By the same token, there are things that she might like to do that I'll bow out of and let her go with other family or friends that share her interest in such activity that isn't interesting to me.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM
jperaino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the buyers tour for my 101 GS. It was an incredible experience. My wife wasn't sure that she would enjoy it but it turned out that she enjoyed herself as much as I did. We then went across the street to the NCM and that also was a great experience. We then drove 90 miles to Nashville and made a great vacation out of the whole experience. Nashville was also fantastic.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Taking the plant tour is definitely a must-do experience for any fan of Corvettes. So is visiting the museum. My recommendation is to go to Bowling Green even if you can't tour the plant; the museum alone is more than enough to justify the trip. It is truly a wonderful place and it's operated by great people.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:58 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

I'll be in the area in mid-September, so I'm crossing my fingers that the plant will be open for tours.

By the way, National Geographic has a nice video of a Z06 being built from start to finish in their "Ultimate Factories" series, available on DVD.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 AM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jperaino
... We then drove 90 miles to Nashville and made a great vacation out of the whole experience. Nashville was also fantastic.
My wife just informed me that the annual conference was held in Nashville last October. We should have gone then.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Whenever it opens back up for public tours you definitely have to do it! However, as others have mentioned tours are not currently going on until late fall. Knock out both the museum and the Corvette plant in the same trip. Most definitely worth it. I plan on even making another trip from Ohio within the next year.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 AM
corvettelover25
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a must do if you are a Corvette fan, not just a driver. I have a few friends that work for the plant as interns and rumor is first week of October they will reopen for tours. If you want a decent night life hit up Nashville while you are here. 2nd Ave and Broadway are a good time and Nashville is only 50 minutes to an hour away. (60 miles)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

A trip to the NCM and factory are on my to-do list as well.

MT
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by tloon
Absolutely worth it. Especially if you can include a stop at Nashville, 60 miles south. Even better.
We did this last year, the plant was closed but we had a great time touring the museum. We'll plan another road trip to see the plant when it reopens.... We also went to Nashville, spent a few hours seeing the Country Music Hall of Fame, toured the Ryman Auditorium, walked aroung town and had an ice cold beer (this was in July) at one of the bars on Honky Tonk Blvd., a great time and great memories.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Sounds like your Wife will not enjoy it and to be honest unless you have other interesting things to do in the area, I would not drive 440 miles just for the tour.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Allan
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

for those who have done the factory tour,would you recommend going (if they're open for tours in october), or should i skip it?
absolutely!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM
BettermostCorvette
Racer

Its a must see for any Corvette owner also the NCM is right across the street another must see. I hope its open for you by then.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 PM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Louisville to Charlotte is 500 miles, Bowling Green is another 120 miles from Louisville. Just so you know. If and when you have the chance to visit Bowling Green, in addition to a wonderful Corvette Museum and factory tour, Arts Corvettes and Muscle Cars is across the street from the Museum and is well worth the price of admission. They have between 50 and 75 muscle cars from the 50's 60's and 70's. You could easily spend a full day touring the factory and museum and the muscle car showroom. Bowling Green is a nice city, 120 miles from Louisville Ky and about 70 miles from Nashville.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM
whiteboy
Drifting

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Let her go to Charlotte and you to Bowling Green

As an after thought, let her fly into Charlotte for her seminar. You fly into Nashville, or Louisville, rent a car and tour which ever city you choose to fly into and then drive over to Bowling Green and enjoy the museum and the muscle car showroom, and hopefully the factory tour. You don't have to be with her in Charlotte do you? lol.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

if you have the $ do it you only live once

Get notified of new replies

To Debating on whether or not to go to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green

Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 AM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by whiteboy
As an after thought, let her fly into Charlotte for her seminar. You fly into Nashville, or Louisville, rent a car and tour which ever city you choose to fly into and then drive over to Bowling Green and enjoy the museum and the muscle car showroom, and hopefully the factory tour. You don't have to be with her in Charlotte do you? lol.
Very good idea. The seminar is for four days, and I don't want to stay in Charlotte that long. I could fly to Nashville the day before the seminar ends, rent a car, and then visit Bowling Green.

After that, I could pick her up in Charlotte and then we both want to see Washington, DC.

Since she doesn't need a car in Charlotte while shes at the seminar, this could work out very well.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 AM
whiteboy
Drifting

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

He He, Fly into Nashville, see the points of interest there, drive the 70 miles over to Bowling Green, ( preferably driving US 31, two lanes, ) . See the Corvette Museum and Factory and Arts Muscle Car Showroom. You can spend 6 to 8 hours in BG alone. Drive the 110 miles to Louisville and see the Kentucky Derby Museum and the Hillerich & Bradsby,= Louisville Slugger Museum. Both are wonderful museums. I promise you will be glad you did. All the above attractions are very inexpensive to visit. The drive from Louisville to Charlotte is a 7 to 8 hour drive and lots of beautiful scenery. Horse farms in Ky, Smokey Mountains in Tn and NC. I think I would plan on at least three of her four days for myself. lol.
Good Luck
PS: October is a beautiful time of year in Kentucky, Tn, and NC.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Plant tour is absolutely worth it. I've been to the museum five times and the plant four times. I'll be visiting the plant, and the museum, again once as soon as they open it up for tours.

We go as a club cruise(425 miles one way) and the ladies do enjoy the plant tour. They enjoy seeing the cars being built.

Side trip to Nashville is also worth it. I'm not into country music, but going to the Grand Ole Opry was neat. Saw Dolly Parton and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band when we were there.

The Super 8, located between the museum and the plant is a good place to stay, but there are plenty of nice places(but more expensive) located a couple of miles south of the museum/plant.

The Holiday Inn Express is a great place to stay in Nashville, as it is close to the Opry. Easy to get to as it's just off Hwy 155(east bypass). They have a M-B van to shuttle you to/from the Opry, so you don't have to mess with the very crowded parking, etc.

Also the Country Music Museum, down town, is a great place to visit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debating on whether or not to go to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green