C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette Buyer - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2 things NOT in your favor.
1. Car isn't at a Chevy dealer, so I can bet they called one and priced it accordingly to what a Chevy dealer would have.

2. The car only has 2000k on the odometer? very very low for a 5.5 yr old car. The dealer will NOT drop their price no matter how bad you want it. (because of the low miles). You say No warranty at all? Not even 30 day 50/50??? I have a HUGE problem with that. Especially the fact it Only has 2k on the odometer. If you have to have it, then it's your money, but I'd research some more. These clowns at dealership's like to "pull chokes" so to speak, and play games.
Lastly if you must have it? walk in with a check for $33K. Tell them to take it or leave it. If they say no? it wasn't meant to happen. No matter how nice that car looks, without ANY warranty at all, makes me very, very, cautious not to buy it. Good luck!!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Low miles on an older car is not always good anyway because the bugs have not been shook out yet and now the warranty is expired so it will come out of your pocket to fix them unless you get a warranty thru a credit union or something...not to mention if it was in storage you're looking at needing all new hoses...
Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 PM
XFit
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good points. I think at this point I am in a nice position to sit and wait it out. It may or may not be a good deal and buying without a warranty does make me a little nervous. I'm located in Connecticut so it's reasonable for me to drive out to Macmulkin or Kerbeck and check out new inventory. If prices on 13s drop with the introduction of the 14s that would be even better. My hope is to keep this car for the rest of my life so a few extra dollars on the front end I suppose isn't so bad. Thanks for all the opinions they are very helpful.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 PM
GreginNH
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a new one for the additional five grand. You can also negotiate a great deal on GMPP. Also, if you are going to finance, you will get a much better rate and longer term on a 2013. I would not expect to see the 2013 drop much more this year. If you are in CT, Mac Mullkin will be worth the drive.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the premium for such a low mile car? That is the true question isn't it?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 PM
XFit
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the car I really want. It's at MacMulkin. More money but
You only live once right.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Joni Lynn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can swing the new one I highly recommend it. It's nice to have a warranty.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Guys you dont have to buy new to have a warranty....I bought my 08 4 months ago and got a 4yr powertrain/bumper to bumper warranty thru the Lockheed Federal Credit Union for a small price per month, well worth it think its like $60 more a month (can't remember exact amount right now)...just like a new ride now...
Old 07-13-2013, 11:17 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Actually its around $40 a month for 65 months.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Lippincott
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
see if the dealer will include a 5-yr GMPP with their final price...that's worth about $2K or so, I suspect.

car has low-enough miles to be certified, but not sure of the age limit on that
A GMPP is usually 10% cost (approx)
The Certified option seems like a value lost since the Certified partners with the 5/100 which expired last May
You'll only receive a 2/24 Maint and a 12/12000 Bumper to Bumper
The GMPP is the Warranty to have and if they went to 29,988 with a 90,000 ml GMPP I'd be a buyer
2500 Miles is a sexy number
First time buyers however almost immediately kick themselves after their first Corvette Club visit and see the 2-3LT version of their car where the owner paid 2500 more and get to enjoy the HUD and NAV options......
A 1LT is a great option to become an owner "at the right price" but be prepared to want to trade it in pretty fast!!!

As well the Certified Pre-Owned option is limited to 5 Years old and less than 75000 miles

Chris

Last edited by Lippincott; 07-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:57 PM
nhraracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XFit
I have been looking at this site for a few months now but never registered. I am in the market for my first Corvette in the next month and I'm looking for some advice, thoughts, and maybe other options I hadn't considered. This would be a third car, just for fun, so I'm not looking to break the bank - just something fast, powerful, and cool to cruise in.

I test drove a 2008 Base Corvette, Red, with 2,500 Miles on it today. The car is very basic. Automatic Transmission, Paddle Shifters, it does have power seats, removable roof panels, and some carbon on the dash (not sure if that was standard or not). If it's helpful I can post up the exact specs on the car.

I like that the car has such low miles and is in such great shape. I'm trying to determine what kind of offer to make on the car and honestly if I should do this or wait and keep looking. One major advantage is that it's local for me so I wouldn't have to have it shipped.

Car is listed at $35k today. (I would like to offer less, but not sure what's reasonable...I know they have 'some' room on it.
Is this a fair price?
Should I keep looking?
There is no warranty on the car - should I be concerned or ready for issues?
Would it be ridiculous to take it to a mechanic for inspection with such low miles on the car?

I really want it, almost bought it today, but don't want to get too emotional so walked away figuring I can always go back on Monday.

Oh, its at a Caddy dealer now...they say a customer traded for a new daily driver.

Thanks all...
I have decided to sell my 2005 to purchase a Yellow C6. Here`s my ad.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/3930712726.html
Old 07-14-2013, 05:29 PM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IF YOU LIKE THE CAR, go in there with a check for $27,500. Take it or keep it on your lot. It's a used car, no matter it's on a Cadillac lot, they dicker just like any place. They've probably got about $25,000 in it.

If the people are correct that post about $40/42,000 for a new one - this is the number you should compare with their $35,000 asking price. Which means their price is very high for a 5, almost 6, year old model car.

Quick Reply: New Corvette Buyer - Need Advice