C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire and TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
snapcity
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire and TPMS Question

I have my original vette rims and tires that came off my o6 z51 that i would like to put back on just to burn some rubber for a while. These have no tpms sensors. If i put them back on my car will it throw off a C.E.L? I realize i will probably get all kind of crazy readings about high and low tire pressure.

Anyone ever tried this? I only plan on putting maybe a hundred miles on the car before taking them back off and returning to my normal ones WITH the tpms.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If your current wheels with sensors are stored in your garage, the car will think they are still on the car for a while after you start up and drive away. Then after a while, the car will get annoyed, how soon that happens depends on year, I don't remember the differences.

BEZ06 has all the answers, you can PM him if he doesn't jump in here.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
snapcity
Pro

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If your current wheels with sensors are stored in your garage, the car will think they are still on the car for a while after you start up and drive away. Then after a while, the car will get annoyed, how soon that happens depends on year, I don't remember the differences.

BEZ06 has all the answers, you can PM him if he doesn't jump in here.
Thanks. I can deal with the annoying messages haha. I just don't want a c.e.l. OR to mess up the computer for when i plan on putting my good rims and tires back on
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The lack of sensors can cause TC/AH to become very sensitive, doing unexpected things as you go around corners. Again, BEZ06 has the answers.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If you leave the sensor wheels fairly close to the car in the garage, you will get about 20 miles of driving before the TPMS light shows up. Back in the garage and you can start over with another 20 miles or so.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:35 PM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

gearheadjim.you are correct.i am having issues and i have all sensors but they or one is malfunctioning and active handling is comprised...i was going around a right hander pretty hard and it applied left front brake 3 times and slowed me down...........
Old 07-16-2013, 02:45 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

You will get a CEL or Warning light and message on the DIC if you have no sensors.. I swapped wheels/tires on my Z06 last week.. it was fine for about 25 minutes (while I drove to meet someone to re-program my new sensors)

It will say "Service Tire Pressure Montior System" or something like that.

I didn't drive long enough or aggressive enough for it to effect the TC or AH
Old 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
snapcity
Pro

Originally Posted by FrankTank
You will get a CEL or Warning light and message on the DIC if you have no sensors.. I swapped wheels/tires on my Z06 last week.. it was fine for about 25 minutes (while I drove to meet someone to re-program my new sensors)

It will say "Service Tire Pressure Montior System" or something like that.

I didn't drive long enough or aggressive enough for it to effect the TC or AH
That's funny because when i upgraded to the grandsport rims and tires i put my tpms sensors in them. Once i did this i received a service active handling system message. I havent been able to power brake my car since....i can be at a dead stop, hold the brake, and floor the gas and nothing happens....the motor doesnt even rev up

Get notified of new replies

To Tire and TPMS Question

Quick Reply: Tire and TPMS Question