C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help:: Leaking coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
david2613d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help:: Leaking coolant?

my c6 seems to be leaking coolant. my temperature passed 240.. I added coolant and they went back down to 220.. but the coolant keeps leaking on to my drive way would this be a bad water pump?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM
david2613d
Instructor

also the fans keep running long after the car is shut off.. which never use to happen before
Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Where is the wet spot located on the driveway. In the middle of the car and just in front of the engine or over to one side? When the car is cool get under it and feel the crank pulley, sway bar and the back side of the pump to see if there is any dampness. If the there is no clear evidence of fluid in those ares if the back side of the pump is sticky that could indicate the pump is slowly leaking and the coolant is drying there. I had a similar situation where I would find coolant on the garage floor but everything was dry with a slight sticky feeling behind the pump. Then one day I was working on the car after driving it about 30 hours previously. The car was on my lift and I had the wheels off doing a suspension check and brake job before a track event. No sign of a leak while working on the car but then I went in to eat lunch and when I came back out there was a fresh puddle of coolant under the car. Checked things again and found the sway bar, crank pulley and backside of pump very wet. Only leaked when cool.

Bill
Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by david2613d
my c6 seems to be leaking coolant. my temperature passed 240.. I added coolant and they went back down to 220.. but the coolant keeps leaking on to my drive way would this be a bad water pump?
There's no way to guess where your leak may be located. Best bet is to get it up on a lift & start searching. Could be a bad water pump but could also be something simple like a loose hose clamp. As for the fan running longer....if the engine is running hotter than normal, it will take longer to cool down when shut off....thus the fan runs longer.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM
david2613d
Instructor

could this loss of coolant be related to the harmonic balancer by any chance?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Brockman66
Racer

I just got my car out of the dealer yesterday. The water pump croaked and it was leaking coolant. Tech also said i was leaking around my thermostat as well. Cost when everything was said and done... $711.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by david2613d
could this loss of coolant be related to the harmonic balancer by any chance?
I would think not, although there's a possibility that a loose HB could put lateral stress on the serpentine belt & that stress might be transferred to the water pump pulley, causing stress on the shaft & deforming the shaft seal.

Get notified of new replies

To Help:: Leaking coolant?

Quick Reply: Help:: Leaking coolant?