C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks Folks: Got the Michelin PSS's/Observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Thanks Folks: Got the Michelin PSS's/Observations

Based on helpful posts in response to my questions at this thread: (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3297747-tire-advice-which-michelins-for-12-gs-coupe.html)
and some additional research, I got the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (and an inflator & sealant kit!) to replace my prematurely aging OEM GY runflats. As requested by some folks at that time, here are my observations after about 500 miles on the Michelins:

These are definitely noticeably better than the OEM GY runflats. Not perfect, but:
-- more forgiving of road imperfections, especially horizontal seams and bumps
-- better grip
-- smoother, more comfortable ride under all conditions (except maybe one, below)
-- generate more confidence in cornering
-- a little quieter than the OEM’s, not by much, but thankfully they are definitely not noisier(!).

I'm pleased. So far so good - and thanks to all who chimed in!

The one area where the ride leaves a little bit to be desired is on high-speed highways that have recently been re-paved with a new grainy asphalt mix (rather than concrete). At first I thought there was a small but rapid shimmy, but after having the balancing and alignment checked, redone, etc., and feeling how smooth it is on concrete I believe there is something about these wide tires on that grainy highway asphalt mix that inevitably means we’ll “feel” the texture in the steering wheel. For example, around here, when I drive on the I-294/I-94 tollway, which is concrete, the steering and ride are totally smooth no matter how fast I go; when I ride on the recently repaved portions of the Edens (grainy asphalt) I get that texture-feel in the steering wheel, more at higher speeds. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:20 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have two PSS's on the front only, and still the original GY's on the back (I know ... mixing runflat and regular tires is sort of a no-no, but I couldn't bear to throw away two tires that were almost like new and would be north of $1000 to replace with the same brand). The Michelins are much, much better than the GY's that were on the front. Of course, they were worn badly on the inside, down to the cord, due to misalignment. I'll get two for the rear when the the GY's wear out.

Regarding the grainy asphalt ... we have some of that around here. It's a lot more porous, and is that way to displace rain water better. And it works great. Regular asphalt is shiny and slick when wet; the new stuff is not shiny, there are no puddles except in extremely hard rains, and it's not nearly as slick as regular asphalt. It's probably more expensive too.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx for the report. There are plenty of asphalt strips around
Dallas that produce that vibration. There are even a couple of
cement roads that do it. After you see 'em a few times
you get used to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks Folks: Got the Michelin PSS's/Observations

Quick Reply: Thanks Folks: Got the Michelin PSS's/Observations