Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Slider-01
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Brake Dust; is there really any solution

2013 Grand Sport. 7k miles with Hawk Ceramic one-piece brake pads.
Dusty, really dusty. The top two photos are after driving 500 miles home from a long trip (4,000 mi). I had to clean the wheels every day as the dust was terrible. On our final 500 mile run home this what the wheels looked like after we got home and I had cleaned them the night before.

You can really see how bad it was when you compare to the last photo which shows the wheels all cleaned up.

Is there any solution?

All cleaned up...
Slider-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
RocketDawg
CF Senior Member
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Send a message via Yahoo to RocketDawg

Is it brake dust or just road dirt? You probably didn't use the brakes much on the 500 mile trip unless you were on 2 lane roads with frequent little towns. The don't generate dust unless you use the brakes.

And how'd you get the inside of the wheels so shiny?? Looks really good.
RocketDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
jh61408
CF Senior Member

Yes, Get the standard ceramic brake pads from GM. I had the same problem till i switched. Yes you lose some braking performance. If you track allot, don't do it. If not, you will never notice the difference.

Plus the rotors will wear some due to harder pads, but nothing that significant.
jh61408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Slider-01
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Is it brake dust or just road dirt? You probably didn't use the brakes much on the 500 mile trip unless you were on 2 lane roads with frequent little towns. The don't generate dust unless you use the brakes.

And how'd you get the inside of the wheels so shiny?? Looks really good.
No doubt it is brake dust. Rears were not nearly as bad as I would have expected.

I stripped the paint off of the wheel barrels...
Old 07-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Slider-01
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh61408 View Post
Yes, Get the standard ceramic brake pads from GM. I had the same problem till i switched. Yes you lose some braking performance. If you track allot, don't do it. If not, you will never notice the difference.

Plus the rotors will wear some due to harder pads, but nothing that significant.
Do they make them for the Grand Sport/ZO6 brakes?

I had the GM pads on my base 2010 coupe and really liked them.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
jh61408
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider-01 View Post
No doubt it is brake dust. Rears were not nearly as bad as I would have expected.

I stripped the paint off of the wheel barrels...

Do your Hawk pads squeal? Mine squealed like someone scratching a chalk board, The Hawk pads were terrible, switched to GM pads. Problem solved and so was my dust problem too.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Slider-01
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes they squeal. Kind of embarrassing.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
jh61408
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider-01 View Post
Do they make them for the Grand Sport/ZO6 brakes?

I had the GM pads on my base 2010 coupe and really liked them.

From this post on Corvette Forum about the issue, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rake-pads.html

I was thinking they made GM factory ceramic pads for the grand sport like the base models too. They work really good, no squeal, I think it's just something Hawk pads do. Mine were terrible.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
BearZ06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I switched my Z06 early on to Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads, same brakes as GS. Ran them for 4 years and they stopped good with no problems, no squealing or noise and 90% less dust.

Last edited by BearZ06; 07-21-2013 at 10:19 PM.
BearZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
carsangelop
CF Senior Member

Armor All wheel protector May have to reapply every few washes ,but it works
carsangelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Jimailer
CF Senior Member

Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
carpe dm
CF Senior Member

Ceramic pads. I just installed them on my Z, and I am a happy camper! Little to no dust.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Slider-01
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpe dm View Post
Ceramic pads. I just installed them on my Z, and I am a happy camper! Little to no dust.
Which pads did you install?
Old 07-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
From this post on Corvette Forum about the issue, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rake-pads.html

I was thinking they made GM factory ceramic pads for the grand sport like the base models too. They work really good, no squeal, I think it's just something Hawk pads do. Mine were terrible.
I'm definitely not going with Hawk by the sound of it. My OEM GS pads are squealing like crazy with only 6k and I did bed them in and stop hard once in a while
phileaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Keppler
CF Senior Member

Put Hawk ceramic padlets on my 2010 GS. Knocked the dust down by 80% and no squeal. No difference in braking performance for a street car. I also painted the wheel barrels black.
Keppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
ELP_JC
CF Senior Member

I have the one-piece Carbotech 1521 pads, and they also squeal a little and generate a lot more dust than I expected. And keep in mind I used a special anti-squealing rubber backing (spray), as well as lubing all pins. The Carbotech padlets squealed like a scalded pig, so after fighting for weeks with Carbotech, finally got them swapped for their 1-piece pads. On the plus side, compared to the stock GS padlets, at least the dust is not reddish in color, nor greasy, which drove me nuts because it's a PITA to clean. The new 1521 padlets and 1-piece pads dusted like crazy initially, but they still dust a lot more than many people reported on this forum after initial 'break-in'.

Bottom line is you cannot do any better than the GM ceramic pads, but we don't have that option on the GS. Of the GS ceramic options, I strongly believe the Carbotechs are not worth twice the Hawks, so that's what I'd get if I had to do it all over again. And avoid the padlets folks, since they have much more of a chance to squeal more, due to no anti-squealing backing plates... and being 20 leading edges, vs 8 for 1-piece pads. Simple math. Good luck.
ELP_JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
vet55
waiting for the boom...
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP_JC View Post
I have the one-piece Carbotech 1521 pads, and they also squeal a little and generate a lot more dust than I expected. And keep in mind I used a special anti-squealing rubber backing (spray), as well as lubing all pins. The Carbotech padlets squealed like a scalded pig, so after fighting for weeks with Carbotech, finally got them swapped for their 1-piece pads. On the plus side, compared to the stock GS padlets, at least the dust is not reddish in color, nor greasy, which drove me nuts because it's a PITA to clean. The new 1521 padlets and 1-piece pads dusted like crazy initially, but they still dust a lot more than many people reported on this forum after initial 'break-in'.

Bottom line is you cannot do any better than the GM ceramic pads, but we don't have that option on the GS. Of the GS ceramic options, I strongly believe the Carbotechs are not worth twice the Hawks, so that's what I'd get if I had to do it all over again. And avoid the padlets folks, since they have much more of a chance to squeal more, due to no anti-squealing backing plates... and being 20 leading edges, vs 8 for 1-piece pads. Simple math. Good luck.
So get Hawk, one piece, ceramics, for the GS? Obviously no issue
mechanically to switch to one piece pads, I guess...
vet55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
RocketDawg
CF Senior Member
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Send a message via Yahoo to RocketDawg

Quote:

My car has the Z51 package, and I'm pretty sure that GM ceramic pads are part of that option. I get no squeal at all, but I do get a little "groaning" when backing out of the garage. I can live with that ... may just be the automatic adjusters ... adjusting.
RocketDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
Boomer111
CF Senior Member

I do not have a intrusive brake dust problem. I tend to use the brakes as little as possible.

Now the rear end dust is an other subject!
Boomer111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
Slider-01
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer111 View Post
I do not have a intrusive brake dust problem. I tend to use the brakes as little as possible.

Now the rear end dust is an other subject!
Ya but that photo of my wheels is from 95% highway and the Hawk one-piece pads.
The Caebotech pads were worse! I've got a set of them with 1k miles sitting in my basement.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Brake Dust; is there really any solution