C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunshine, sealants and waxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:02 PM
NotVincent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sunshine, sealants and waxes

Just my luck, since I picked up my car in May, between my travel schedule and the constant rain, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly detail the 427. Last weekend, there was a break from the rain with cloudy skies so, it was a good opportunity for me to wash and wax the 427 and the wife's car. I wasn't sure when the rain would return and I wasn't motivated enough to do a full detail on two cars with claying, correcting and polishing so, I went with just a quick wash of each and a single coat of two of my favorite products.

For the Vette, I used Wolfgang Fuzion. This is basically a carnuba base wax with some polymers added to improve longevity. This stuff is so ridiculously easy to use it is near impossible to screw up. It goes on and comes off effortlessly and leaves no nasty white residue nor stains black trim. Here is what it looks like in the shade immediately after buffing off:

Of course, it rained ever since I finished it, so it has been sitting in the garage since Saturday. However, there was some sun this morning so I took the Vette on some errands and just had to take this shot of the car at the grocers:

Wax just has this depth to it that makes the paint appear to be a reflection in a dark pool. It is warm and three-dimensional. Sealants make paint look like a reflection in a mirror. It is bright and reflective but lacks the warmth and depth of wax.

Here is a good example of the difference between a wax and a sealant. Here is the door of the Vette with Fuzion on it:

Here is my wife's car with the exact same prep, same day and same lighting conditions only with a coat of Finish Kare 1000P. 1000P is a synthetic sealant that applies almost as easy as Fuzion but lasts much longer and is parctically bomb proof:

You can see how the 427 has a depth and glow to it. The M is extremely reflective but does not have the same warmth and depth to it. It is a subtle difference and hard to really appreciate in photos but I think these photos illustrate the difference well. It is a preference what look you like more and how much protection you need. For me, I like to start with a base coat of 1000P and top with Fuzion to get the best appearance and best durability but, depending upon the look I want and how lazy I am that day, I may just use one product or the other.

Now if only the sun would stay out for a few days so I can spend more time driving and less time cleaning.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1000P has turned to my go to LSP in all circumstances. I have found that this sealant looks just as good as higher priced alternatives, with much better longevity.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM
NotVincent
Instructor

Originally Posted by intheboost
1000P has turned to my go to LSP in all circumstances. I have found that this sealant looks just as good as higher priced alternatives, with much better longevity.
Mine too. The wife's car gets driven more than mine and needs the extra protection so that is what it gets. Fuzion is more of a beauty product for me but it goes on so easy that it is easy to use often.

I did put 1000P on the front end of the Vette when I drove it home from NJ. When I got home, all I needed was a hose to spray off all the splattered bugs and the car still shined like crazy. 1000P is great stuff and oh yeah, it is CHEAP!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Tough choice from the pictures they both look good. In the long run it is how do they each hold up over time.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM
NotVincent
Instructor

Originally Posted by dvilin
Tough choice from the pictures they both look good. In the long run it is how do they each hold up over time.
Around here, 1000P lasts a few months. Fuzion a few weeks. But then again, I am lazy and I don't like to do the proper prepwork before waxing so my experience may not be typical.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Run N. Gun
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks great!!

After the Sealant has completely cured, top it with Fuzion. You'll have the protection + the depth that carnuba brings.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I use Klasse acrylic sealant with a coat of carnuba wax over it. MS color so differences are more subtle. The wax softens the color as compared to the candy like shell finish of the sealant. With MS reflective properties are increases more with the sealant.

I'll use Finish Kare 425 to gain a little more reflectivity after using the wax.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Both look really nice.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM
NotVincent
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I use Klasse acrylic sealant with a coat of carnuba wax over it. MS color so differences are more subtle. The wax softens the color as compared to the candy like shell finish of the sealant. With MS reflective properties are increases more with the sealant.

I'll use Finish Kare 425 to gain a little more reflectivity after using the wax.
I used to use Klasse AIO as my prep step. It is a great cleanser and leaves the paint very clean. It is not the easiest product to work with though.

425 is another excellent product. It does keep the car cleaner longer and does leave a great shine. Finish Kare is such a vastly underrated manufacturer.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:01 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NotVincent
I did put 1000P on the front end of the Vette when I drove it home from NJ. When I got home, all I needed was a hose to spray off all the splattered bugs and the car still shined like crazy. 1000P is great stuff and oh yeah, it is CHEAP!
Thanks for reminding me. I need to order some more.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:22 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

nice work guys ..... lots of new waxes, sealants, and coatings now in stock. Might wanna stop by and check out the "whats new" section. Our DP line now has a ceramic coating.

www.autogeek.net
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 PM
NotVincent
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
nice work guys ..... lots of new waxes, sealants, and coatings now in stock. Might wanna stop by and check out the "whats new" section. Our DP line now has a ceramic coating.

www.autogeek.net
I am really tempted to try that Blackfire BlackICE. How would you compare its endurance to Fuzion? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

To the OP ... where did you get your Wolfgang Fuzion?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Results look great. Nice work. You should try the Wolfgang paint works, followed by sealant and then the Fuzion You will be even more amazed with the results

Here is this combo on my Cyber GRay!.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 PM
NotVincent
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I buy anything that I can't find locally from our very own sponsor here:

www.autogeek.net

They are great people with fast service.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by RocketDawg

link to all Wolfgang products available at Autogeek
http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/...gang--x-0--y-0
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Nobody uses this stuff anymore?

Get notified of new replies

To Sunshine, sealants and waxes

Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM
NotVincent
Instructor

[/QUOTE]

That looks fantastic! I LOVE Cyber Grey! I really wanted a 427 in that color.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Results look great. Nice work. You should try the Wolfgang paint works, followed by sealant and then the Fuzion You will be even more amazed with the results

Here is this combo on my Cyber GRay!.

Beautiful car, Dennis. I really like the hood liner work.

My 2003 C5 was basically that color ... was called "Spiral Gray Metallic" as I recall. I really liked it.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Quick Reply: Sunshine, sealants and waxes