C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance quote question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Insurance quote question

If you request a quote online, say, from USAA, do they bug you to death with phone calls, emails, and snail mail? I've never tried, but was thinking about it to see how their rates compare with my State Farm rates. But I don't want them calling me or contacting me constantly because I was curious.

I would have put this in the South Florida insurance rate poll, but that would have been a total thread hijack.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
If you request a quote online, say, from USAA, do they bug you to death with phone calls, emails, and snail mail? I've never tried, but was thinking about it to see how their rates compare with my State Farm rates. But I don't want them calling me or contacting me constantly because I was curious.

I would have put this in the South Florida insurance rate poll, but that would have been a total thread hijack.
eh eh.... that invoice from Turbo got you thinking hmmm?
I wouldn't worry too much, you might be getting on their e-mail distro but should be able to unsubscribe at the first one they send you.
From what I heard about State Farm rates, I say worth it!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
eh eh.... that invoice from Turbo got you thinking hmmm?
I wouldn't worry too much, you might be getting on their e-mail distro but should be able to unsubscribe at the first one they send you.
From what I heard about State Farm rates, I say worth it!
Yeah it did, but it appears that Turbo rarely moves his car from the garage. I noted that his two or three year older Hyundai (yes, a Hyundai!!) was about 50% more, yet he only drives it 9,000 miles a year. I drive both my cars more than either of those. My truck, not so much. It's not as much fun to drive (it's not a "fancy" truck, just a little Mazda that makes trips to Home Depot for the most part).

At any rate, I'd like to see how much, if any, they are lower. State Farm raised my homeowners 30% in one fell swoop after Hurricane Ivan ... and I don't live in hurricane country. And they doubled my deductible from $500 to $1000 last year without asking.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have had USAA for years. Nothing but excellant service. They may send an email a couple times a year to promote new services or update your policy. I believe they call once a year to make sure you have no changes to your policies.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have checked USAA on line and never received an email from them. I checked with them a year or two later and they had my request in their file but never sent me anything. I am with AAA.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I would just call them but make sure you are getting the same or better service. I left them because they jacked up my homeowners insurance by 20% last year, blaming it on the hurricanes last year (and I live in Utah so no chance with hurricanes here). I went with Allstate and for basically the same rate I received a lot better insurance. I had claims with both companies over the years and I can tell you USAA is not near as good as Allstate when you need the insurance.

State Farm was about 50% higher than both in my area for some reason. I won't call Geico or Progressive.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

It really doesn't matter which company you contact or even if it was just one. They all share the same mailing lists. I talked with a Geico agent once and within days, and for weeks, four to five other companies sent me some kind of solicitation.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I would just call them but make sure you are getting the same or better service. I left them because they jacked up my homeowners insurance by 20% last year, blaming it on the hurricanes last year (and I live in Utah so no chance with hurricanes here). I went with Allstate and for basically the same rate I received a lot better insurance. I had claims with both companies over the years and I can tell you USAA is not near as good as Allstate when you need the insurance.

State Farm was about 50% higher than both in my area for some reason. I won't call Geico or Progressive.
Isn't Progressive for higher risk drivers? My SF agent told me they had referred people to Progressive who they couldn't insure because of poor driving records. She may have just been blowing smoke for all I know though.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they do. I average 1 piece of mail a week, and it took a while to get off their email by unsubscribing, and I had to get rude with them to end the phone calls.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you use your car as a daily driver or is it more of a garage queen? If it's more of a garage queen, you definitely should look into the National Corvette Museum Insurance. It's not unheard of for them to save anywhere from 50-80% of what other insurance companies will charge for a premium. I saved over 70% from what Progressive was going to charge me.

Best of all, you won't hear from them again if you decide not to go with them. No emails, phone calls or any other type of solicitations.

Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Isn't Progressive for higher risk drivers? My SF agent told me they had referred people to Progressive who they couldn't insure because of poor driving records. She may have just been blowing smoke for all I know though.
I don't know if they are.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I don't think Progressive is just a high risk auto insurance company, [but] they will write an SR-22 where many other 'big name' insurance companies will not.

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance quote question

Quick Reply: Insurance quote question