C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Danny T
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rangatira
You guys need to read the handbook that comes with the 2007 Vette.
It does not use a key to open the door.
Look in the book to see what the key you got with your car is for.
Did anyone say there was a place for a key in the door? I must have not been paying attention to all the fun.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM
rangatira
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I said slot, not door. The key is to get the trunk/hatch open to pull the handle to get the door open. The slot is used to start the car if the FOB battery is dead. I really did read the manual many times and I am well versed with the FOB situation.

I'm sure your 16 posts are due to you driving the car so much! I've had my car for 7 years, I assure you that I've noticed no key hole on the doors.
Glad to hear you read the manual. Most people do not. My fob problem started when I told OnStar to take a hike. Could OnStar be interfering with the Fob signal? Both of my fobs do not work, yes have new batteries. I have a 2007 which finally hit 6k miles! Going to try looking at the car battery and see if that is my problem. I do not subscribe to OnStar even if they do keep calling and mailing me stuff.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:23 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rangatira
Glad to hear you read the manual. Most people do not. My fob problem started when I told OnStar to take a hike. Could OnStar be interfering with the Fob signal? Both of my fobs do not work, yes have new batteries. I have a 2007 which finally hit 6k miles! Going to try looking at the car battery and see if that is my problem. I do not subscribe to OnStar even if they do keep calling and mailing me stuff.
Naw, OnStar can't do that to you. Did you go through the checklist? It sounds like you might work your way all the way down to the last item and that is the RCDLR. Did you catch the part about certain batteries not working in the FOBs or them being in upside down?

Elmer
Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 PM
rangatira
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Naw, OnStar can't do that to you. Did you go through the checklist? It sounds like you might work your way all the way down to the last item and that is the RCDLR. Did you catch the part about certain batteries not working in the FOBs or them being in upside down?

Elmer
Thanks for the tip. I did go down the check list and ended with the RCDLR.
I can start using the fob in the glove box slot, but can't open the trunk or lock the car with the fob.
Going to see if the extended warranty covers it.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 PM
phrogman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have '10 GS, last two times I drove it the FOB allowed me to open door but didn't recognize it when I pushed the start button. I pressed the unlock icon on FOB twice and it magically worked. Do you suppose I have FOB battery issue?
The following users liked this post:
Ok Boomer (02-10-2020)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogman
I have '10 GS, last two times I drove it the FOB allowed me to open door but didn't recognize it when I pushed the start button. I pressed the unlock icon on FOB twice and it magically worked. Do you suppose I have FOB battery issue?
Quick Answer: Yes

I have an '09 Z06. I was getting the message 'No FOBs detected". The kicker was my wife and I went to Starbucks for coffee this past weekend and nearly got stranded by the "No Fob Detected" issue; so I was determined to change them, but do so in the minimum amount of time to avoid having to re-sync the fobs.

I pulled the key out 3/4 way and carefully twisted popping open the fob body. I replaced both batteries with Panasonic CR2032; no grid pattern on the action side - smooth for best electrical contact.

I then walked out and tried the FOB, each worked perfectly and I didn't have to re-sync the FOB with the car, or put them in the slot in the glove compartment to reprogram them, so the fix was pretty easy. After battery replacement each FOB worked perfectly.

I did use an artists paintbrush and brushed a small amount of silicone oil on the sides of the FOB to assist in popping them apart, it seemed to help quite a bit, as they each just snapped open.

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 02-19-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

No need to "re-sync" or reprogram the fob due solely to a dead fob battery, or a simple battery change. They don't magically "unprogram."

The worst that could have happened is that you use the mechanical key to open the trunk/hatch, use the pull tab on the left to open the door, and while the alarm is going off, you stick the fob in the glove box slot and start the car.

I have even done this with no battery in the fob.

lisa

Last edited by owc6; 02-18-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:09 PM
phrogman
Intermediate

Thanks TRB for the prying tip. It worked like you instructed. Getting new bats tomorrow. Your avitar is the bomb. Doc is DAMAN!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM
markab
Instructor

seems as if this is a recurring problem with the FOB's had to have mine towed to the stealership, where they reset the system and charged me $75..00, they told me the wires got crossed with my cell phone, to be honest i dont know what happened, but it was very fustrating, thecar is good now
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Yikes..that was a stealership. Jim Norton in Broken Arrow; who admittedly have their own issues(they left my pristine '09 CGM Z06 in the custy parking where any idiot could put a divot on my paint). I chewed their a$$ out for that; but the older service guy showed me the key trick, on another fob, it worked really easily.It took me about 5 minutes to do both fobs, and that was with adding putting a tiny dab of silicone grease on the edge I was going to crack open with the key turn.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM
SpeedyChase
7th Gear

I had a similar problem with my 2012 Buick Lacrosse. Got the 'No Fob Detected' on my DIC. I could get in the car but couldn't get it out of Park on release the emergency brake. All four wheels were locked up. Fob battery was 2.9 volts so it was OK. Guess what the problem was. RFI or some would say electrical interference. Got two tow trucks to move the car and sure enough the Fob worked once we moved the cars 100 feet or so and I drove home. Went back to the place of business a few day later in my Avalanche and the guys in there were saying that I had parked in 'Area 51'. I'm not the only one at this place this has happened to. This is a known GM problem (RFI) and 'most' of the times it is solved by putting the fob in the fob pocket.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:03 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

speedy chase
I had the manual out and read that, put the car in neutral when we were at Starbucks that night... and pushed it 100 ft, no joy; so we put the fob in the glove box receptacle voile' instantly started up!! Follow my instructions they work to replace older batteries perfectly.'Good luck....
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM
34653vette
3rd Gear

Key Fob Problems.. The last 2 weeks now every morning I can't get in my car. I have to open trunk with the key then close the trunk and then the FOB is detected. I can then open the doors. Now and then it will also say no FOB detected for a few mins then it works fine. Every now and then it is a little hard to open the doors but after a few trys they open.

Had fod tested at one dealer said the trunk botton was bad but rest was good. I laughed because the trunk botton worked fine and I showed them.

I then went to another deal and was told the fob is fine. I asked for a battery and was told you can't replace the batteries you have to buy a new FOB. I laughed again.

Will a weak fob battery cause this issue only in mornings and now and then no fob detected for a few mins only

2008 c6
Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Have you thought of cleaning the door pad? Does the passenger side open properly? The contact pad has a tendency to corrode and make door access miserable. I've had to replace my pads (I did both as they were only $15(or so) when I ran into this issue. I've also replaced the trunk button when it went nuts.

Elmer
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

34653vette

In one word yes, weak batteries can do this.
I had intermittent functionality; which is why I contributed, follow the instructions below; as changing the battery is easy. Sounds like another case of a stealership.

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
Quick Answer: Yes

I have an '09 Z06. I was getting the message 'No FOBs detected". The kicker was my wife and I went to Starbucks for coffee this past weekend and nearly got stranded by the "No Fob Detected" issue; so I was determined to change them, but do so in the minimum amount of time to avoid having to re-sync the fobs.

I pulled the key out 3/4 way and carefully twisted popping open the fob body. I replaced both batteries with Panasonic CR2032; no grid pattern on the action side - smooth for best electrical contact.

I then walked out and tried the FOB, each worked perfectly and I didn't have to re-sync the FOB with the car, or put them in the slot in the glove compartment to reprogram them, so the fix was pretty easy. After battery replacement each FOB worked perfectly.

I did use an artists paintbrush and brushed a small amount of silicone oil on the sides of the FOB to assist in popping them apart, it seemed to help quite a bit, as they each just snapped open.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by 34653vette
Key Fob Problems.. The last 2 weeks now every morning I can't get in my car. I have to open trunk with the key then close the trunk and then the FOB is detected. I can then open the doors. Now and then it will also say no FOB detected for a few mins then it works fine. Every now and then it is a little hard to open the doors but after a few trys they open.

Had fod tested at one dealer said the trunk botton was bad but rest was good. I laughed because the trunk botton worked fine and I showed them.

I then went to another deal and was told the fob is fine. I asked for a battery and was told you can't replace the batteries you have to buy a new FOB. I laughed again.

Will a weak fob battery cause this issue only in mornings and now and then no fob detected for a few mins only

2008 c6
Hello 34653vette,

I see that you have gotten some great advice from The Raging Bull regarding changing your battery and Elmer regarding cleaning the door pad. Have you attempted either of these and has it addressed the issue you are experiencing?

Gregory W. (assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-17-2014, 04:06 PM
jman33163
Instructor

I have a question regarding this issue

I just within the past 2 months started having problems getting into my 05. It sometimes takes 5-10 minutes of walking back and forth from the drivers side to the passenger side to finally get in. On a few occasions I have used the key to open the hatch and gain entry by pulling the cable to open the drivers door. Once inside it normally starts, but on a couple of occasions it says no fob detected, then starts after a couple more attempts. Here is the kicker (to me anyway) it never happens anywhere but my apartment parking lot. I have lived there the entire time I have owned the car, but only recently started this. It NEVER happens anywhere else. I drive a company truck Mon-Fri so it sits in a lot at work all week but every Friday I walk up get in and drive away. Store, restaurants, trips outta town, it always works without fail. Today was the worst, I ended up using the key to get in, sat down and hit the start button and got the NFD message. Hit it again same thing along with the little padlock security light. I try to get out and the car will not let me out. Tried hitting the lock/unlock buttons on both side, nothing. I am locked inside my car and can't get out. Got my phone out and googled it looking for answers. Tried unplugging the phone charger but didn't work. My battery is a few months old yellow top so not that. Saw about the fob slot and tried that. First time I got nothing, not even the NFD message. Hit accessory and heard clicking sound and hit start and it started. Drove to work and when I shut it off got the NFD off or run message, hit off again and got out. Tried 20 minutes later and it worked perfectly.

After all that, I guess my question is, can there be something running in one of my neighbors homes causing the interference? I just don't understand how it can operate flawlessly everywhere but in my parking lot at home? When I get back to town I am gonna try parking in front of another building and see what happens but this is killing me. Am very happy it was dark this morning or the neighbors may have called for a paddy wagon to come get the crazy man sitting in his car cussing up a storm haha

Get notified of new replies

To NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 PM
SpeedyChase
7th Gear

Default No Fob Detected

Originally Posted by jman33163
I have a question regarding this issue

I just within the past 2 months started having problems getting into my 05. It sometimes takes 5-10 minutes of walking back and forth from the drivers side to the passenger side to finally get in. On a few occasions I have used the key to open the hatch and gain entry by pulling the cable to open the drivers door. Once inside it normally starts, but on a couple of occasions it says no fob detected, then starts after a couple more attempts. Here is the kicker (to me anyway) it never happens anywhere but my apartment parking lot. I have lived there the entire time I have owned the car, but only recently started this. It NEVER happens anywhere else. I drive a company truck Mon-Fri so it sits in a lot at work all week but every Friday I walk up get in and drive away. Store, restaurants, trips outta town, it always works without fail. Today was the worst, I ended up using the key to get in, sat down and hit the start button and got the NFD message. Hit it again same thing along with the little padlock security light. I try to get out and the car will not let me out. Tried hitting the lock/unlock buttons on both side, nothing. I am locked inside my car and can't get out. Got my phone out and googled it looking for answers. Tried unplugging the phone charger but didn't work. My battery is a few months old yellow top so not that. Saw about the fob slot and tried that. First time I got nothing, not even the NFD message. Hit accessory and heard clicking sound and hit start and it started. Drove to work and when I shut it off got the NFD off or run message, hit off again and got out. Tried 20 minutes later and it worked perfectly.

After all that, I guess my question is, can there be something running in one of my neighbors homes causing the interference? I just don't understand how it can operate flawlessly everywhere but in my parking lot at home? When I get back to town I am gonna try parking in front of another building and see what happens but this is killing me. Am very happy it was dark this morning or the neighbors may have called for a paddy wagon to come get the crazy man sitting in his car cussing up a storm haha

Jman, here's what I like you to try. Park in several different places around your home. Maybe you have to go down the street a bit. At each place you park, try your key fob. I will fashion a guess, that some places do not affect your fob and others will. What you have is a strong field of radio frequency interference or RFI. A know problem with GM cars and others as well. Who or what is causing it is another problem. Tell me how you make out.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The obvious answer is that someone has introduced some new interference in your parking area, But...

I had many of the same issues when my car battery casing cracked. For months, the car was wonky, sometimes working perfectly, sometimes not. It was a new battery.
You state your battery was changed about the same time you starting having problems. Have you pulled your new battery and inspected it?

lisa
Old 03-18-2014, 11:43 AM
jman33163
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedyChase
Jman, here's what I like you to try. Park in several different places around your home. Maybe you have to go down the street a bit. At each place you park, try your key fob. I will fashion a guess, that some places do not affect your fob and others will. What you have is a strong field of radio frequency interference or RFI. A know problem with GM cars and others as well. Who or what is causing it is another problem. Tell me how you make out.
Will definitely try this when I get back to town this weekend. I will add that it never happens after I first get home. Like making a couple of trips back and forth with groceries or leaving the phone in the car, it will work normally. It's always after it sits for a longer period (overnight)

Originally Posted by owc6
The obvious answer is that someone has introduced some new interference in your parking area, But...

I had many of the same issues when my car battery casing cracked. For months, the car was wonky, sometimes working perfectly, sometimes not. It was a new battery.
You state your battery was changed about the same time you starting having problems. Have you pulled your new battery and inspected it?
lisa
I just recently went thru some other gremlins that did precede this issue and the cause of those was a bad ground cable where it was attached to the frame. I will also check this as well this weekend.

I know everyone suggests the batteries in the fobs and reprogramming them and some other things but I just can't get past the fact it only happens in the parking spot in front of my building If it just once happened anywhere else it would be different. Sometimes I wish it would haha the walk to the car is always full of intrigue when I go out of town in it or the store or wherever, is it gonna open or not????? It always does unless I am home

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it much

Quick Reply: NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?