C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet tire look without spraying?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
Just wondering if anybody can get the wet look with some type of applicator, its been my experience that you can only achieve that look by spraying which gets all over the wheels and is a pain in the a$$...I've tried the cardboard 18" half circle cut out to mask the wheels but the card board gets all wet and soft and im too lazy to cut one out every time I wash the car...also don't wana use tire gel that **** flings all over the place...so any clean ways to get the wet look? Thanks.
Sonax tire gloss
Applied with $3 foam applicator sold in auto supply stores specifically for applying tire stuff.
Looks great.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,002 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BWF07
I use Adams VRT on a sponge applicator. It does not sling off and is dry in a matter of minutes and does not wash off in the rain. It is not a high gloss however.
good stuff...... I think it's fairly high gloss though.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I just wet my applicator pad then wipe off after doing all four tires.

No flung gel.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 PM
rgamache
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
Just wondering if anybody can get the wet look with some type of applicator, its been my experience that you can only achieve that look by spraying which gets all over the wheels and is a pain in the a$$...I've tried the cardboard 18" half circle cut out to mask the wheels but the card board gets all wet and soft and im too lazy to cut one out every time I wash the car...also don't wana use tire gel that **** flings all over the place...so any clean ways to get the wet look? Thanks.
I use meguiar's Gold Glass endurance high gloss gel applied with a foam applicator. Wet look for two weeks.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rgamache
I use meguiar's Gold Glass endurance high gloss gel applied with a foam applicator. Wet look for two weeks.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks for all the help..
Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 AM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I use a wax applicator. You can buy them in packages of two or three for a dollar or two at Wal Mart. I think you could really use just about everything, like an old wash cloth or piece of towel.

I haven't found any dressings that last all that long, but the Zaino tire dressing seems to last the longest.
I love Zaino but their dressing blows.
Recommend and stay with Chemical brothers oil base. Wipe on, no sling, stay nice for a week+. if brake dust gets on em, just wipe with rag, shine back up. I get it on autogeek.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is what I use. Just spray the tire dressing on the brush and then brush the tire. Works GREAT!

http://www.autogeek.net/carrand-tire...ing-brush.html
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I never realized this was an issue before.

I just spray the stuff on carefully, and wipe off what little excess gets on the wheel. Simple!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple months ago I was in Dothan, AL for the Circle City Corvettes beach run and a fellow parked near me was watching me put some shine on my tires. He came over and said he was going to help me out. He showed me the tires on his Z06 - they looked very nice and shiny black. Almost wet like he'd just put something on them. Then he showed me the bottle of stuff he was using. Something called "InfinityShield Tire Shine". When he told me to touch the tire it was completely dry. I took a picture of the bottle he had so I could remember what it was called and all for when I got home and could order some. As far as I know it's only available online. The man told me it was excellent on low profile tires like a Corvette has but not so good on high walled tires (like my 4x4 truck) because the tires flex too much and the stuff can crack. He also told me it was good for a few months. So if you're looking for dry but shiny tires this stuff works well.

http://www.theinfinityshield.com/

Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear
A couple months ago I was in Dothan, AL for the Circle City Corvettes beach run and a fellow parked near me was watching me put some shine on my tires. He came over and said he was going to help me out. He showed me the tires on his Z06 - they looked very nice and shiny black. Almost wet like he'd just put something on them. Then he showed me the bottle of stuff he was using. Something called "InfinityShield Tire Shine". When he told me to touch the tire it was completely dry. I took a picture of the bottle he had so I could remember what it was called and all for when I got home and could order some. As far as I know it's only available online. The man told me it was excellent on low profile tires like a Corvette has but not so good on high walled tires (like my 4x4 truck) because the tires flex too much and the stuff can crack. He also told me it was good for a few months. So if you're looking for dry but shiny tires this stuff works well.

http://www.theinfinityshield.com/

Thanks for the link!!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Chemical Guys VRP with sponge applicator. No silly glossy look.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:51 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sinclair1
I like the Matte finish sprays, I just don't like shiny tires
I agree. I think tires should look like tires, not a painted aftermarket part.

I use Adams VRT on a sponge applicator. It does not sling off and is dry in a matter of minutes and does not wash off in the rain. It is not a high gloss however.
I have some but haven't tried it yet. Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 12:58 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
Chemical Guys VRP with sponge applicator. No silly glossy look.
Exactly what I use....I have a full gallon of it I wouldn't say it's not glossy at all though. If you put it on thick it will have a slight gloss. It certainly isn't a matte finish.

Fantastic product though. Use it on all of my trim and tires. Works GREAT for making the rear "diffuser" nice and black as well as making the little black airdam not so much of an eyesore.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Exactly what I use....I have a full gallon of it I wouldn't say it's not glossy at all though. If you put it on thick it will have a slight gloss. It certainly isn't a matte finish.

Fantastic product though. Use it on all of my trim and tires. Works GREAT for making the rear "diffuser" nice and black as well as making the little black airdam not so much of an eyesore.
Agree... just not the over gloss look some people like. Gives a more natural look. My inlaws stole my bottle to use on the plastic trim on their Mini.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New formula Adam's VRT applied with a foam sponge! Looks great and lasts a long time!! I always apply my tire dressing at least 12 hours before I drive because it'll really show on an Arctic White car if it flings off!!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Tire gels offer the wet-look and can be easily applied with foam wax applicators on the cheap. Very effective to control due to size also.

http://www.autogeek.net/tire-dressings-protectants.html

Get notified of new replies

To Wet tire look without spraying?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto here on the VRT.
And black is what one with cars like ours want, not wet.
Ricers & pimp wanna be cars want the wet look.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

I'm partial to a nice satin sheen. Makes the tires look nice, new and well cared for, without the look of too much shiny used car lot stuff.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I use gel and a wax applicator pad. Works great. Let it sit for a while and wipe off excess, no "fling" off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wet tire look without spraying?