C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
jswizz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run flat tires

I have a 2007 C6 with Goodyear F1 run flats.
I have a leak in one of the tires, can they be fixed?
Can the tire be pluged or use fix a flat, if the tire has not been driven on?
I keep hearing it needs to be replaced is this true.
If anyone has fixed a run flat tire please let me know.
The tire has only 2,000 miles on them.
No warranty they were on the car when a got it last month.
Thanks for any help if you can.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jswizz
I have a 2007 C6 with Goodyear F1 run flats.
I have a leak in one of the tires, can they be fixed?
Can the tire be pluged or use fix a flat, if the tire has not been driven on?
I keep hearing it needs to be replaced is this true.
If anyone has fixed a run flat tire please let me know.
The tire has only 2,000 miles on them.
No warranty they were on the car when a got it last month.
Thanks for any help if you can.
It's possible. It depends on what caused the leak. I would start by checking the valve stems. I had a 2007 and mine were leaking where they entered the wheel. A quick tightening of the nut and the leak was fixed.
Runflats can be patched if there is a nail or something. However it depends on where the puncture is on the tire. I would suggest leaving any puncture repairs (or the decision to scrap) to a professional tire guy since its a safety issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Check nut on the stem.....BUT.....beware the proper tightening torque is ONLY 62 Inch/pounds. That isn't very tight. Don't crank down on it with a wrench. The seal comes only via a small o-ring inside and it is easily destroyed by over tightening.

If the tire was punctured, then yes, it "may" be repaired.....BUT....there are restrictions and requirements. Don't use Fix-a-Flat.

From the Goodyear booklet that originally came with the car:

Goodyear Run Flat Repair Procedure

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. CAREFULLY REMOVE THE TIRE COMPLETELY FROM THE RIM.
2. Locate the puncture on the inside of the tire and circle with crayon.
3. Remove puncturing object if it is still in the tire.
4. Carefully inspect tire on a good tire spreader, with ample light, which will show any cracks, breaks, punctures, damaged or broken beads.
5. Check liner for cuts, cracks, or holes which may cause the tubeless liner to lose air.
6. Check the injury with an inspection awl:
(a)Determine size and angle of injury.
(b)Check for ply or belt separation.
7. Reject any tire that has separation, loose cords, damaged bead(s), or any other non-repairable injury.
8. If the hole is simple and round, steps 9 through 17 of the puncture repair procedure will be successful.
NOTE: If the hole shows evidence of fabric splitting, such an injury cannot be properly repaired using this puncture repair procedure. Such an injury must be skived out and repaired as a section (reinforced) repair, which will maintain the serviceability of the tire, but will invalidate the tire's speed rating. If a section repair is necessary, the customer must be advised, before the repair is made, that the tire will lose its speed rating, and must not exceed operation at normal highway speeds.
9. Use a pre-buff cleaner and a scraper to remove contaminants from the liner in the area to be buffed around the injury.
10. Use a 7/32"carbide cutter for 1/4" repairs to clean out the puncture.
(a)Make sure that the drill follows the direction of the puncturing object.
(b)Always drill from inside to outside of tire.
11. Using chemical vulcanizing cement, lightly coat at least 1/2 of the tapered end of the repair plug. Install the plug in the prepared puncture according to the manufacturer's instructions. Trim the liner side of the plug slightly higher than the surface of the liner without stretching the plug.
12. Center the patch (or patch template) over the injury without removing the backing. Adhere to patch or template instructions, as to positioning as related to bead location. Mark around the outside edge of the patch, approximately 1/4" larger than the patch.
13. Buff the liner and plug at the puncture location. The buffed area should be slightly larger than the patch. The buffed surface should be finely grained (RMA 1 or 2 texture) and even for proper bonding. Use care to prevent burning the rubber with the buffing tool. Do not buff through the liner. Do not buff into the marking crayon.
14. Clean the buffing dust from the tire using only a vacuum or brush. Do not use gasoline or other petroleum solvents on the buffed area.
15. Coat the buffed liner surface and the patch with one evenly applied coat of chemical vulcanizing cement in accordance with the recommendations of the repair materials manufacturer. Allow the cement to dry thoroughly. Do not touch the cemented areas.
16. Install the patch with the beads of the tire in the relaxed position. Position the patch over the puncture according to the markings on the patch. Stitch the entire patch starting from the center, keeping the strokes close together to avoid trapping air under the patch.
17. Cut off the protruding end of the plug about 1/8" above the tread surface.
18. FINAL INSPECTION - The repair must seal the inner liner and fill the injury. After remounting and inflating check the repair, both beads and valve with a soap solution to assure a complete seal.

Goodyear Speed-Rated Tire Repair Limits
II. DETAILED POLICY - Puncture Repair of Goodyear Speed-Rated Tires

The puncture must be confined to the tread area only.
(See "Repair Area", item III-B).

Restrictions on the number and size of repairs must be followed.
(See "Puncture Repair Limits" table, item III-C).

A detailed repair procedure must be followed.
(See "Repair Procedure", item III-E).

A Goodyear speed-rated new tire repaired in strict accordance with items II-A, B & C, will retain its speed rating.

III. REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR SPEED-RATED TIRES

GENERAL
The objective of the puncture repair is to seal the tire against loss of inflation pressure and to prevent damage to the carcass from moisture. In all puncture repairs approved by Goodyear, the hole must be filled with a plug, and a patch covering the hole must be applied according to repair material manufacturer instructions to the inside of the tire. Never repair tires which are worn below 2/32" tread depth.

NOTE: No tire is to be repaired without first being removed from the rim.

REPAIR AREA

Repairing is limited to the tread area only within the outside grooves. No repairs are allowed in the tread area beyond the outside grooves or sidewall.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
larrybee
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it can be repaired - just happened to me on my 07 vert w/only 7k on them. Was going out my drive and message came up of RR no pressure. I drove to my local tire shop at 40mph or less. they pulled the wheel and we found a drywall screw right in the middle of the tire. they buffed the inside of tire and used cement hot patch. Right after that - I traveled to Whatkins Glen to the races. Total trip was about 500 - 600 miles there and back. NO problems. Goodyear Runflats Still holding 30 PSI. As long as the punture is not too large and not on or near the sidewall - should be ok.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 AM
jswizz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call nut was loose and nothing in tire.
You guys are great on this forum.
Thanks for all your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flat tires

Quick Reply: Run flat tires