C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Now a Bad Time to buy a Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 PM
JABLS7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Now a Bad Time to buy a Vette?

After flopping around from a Z06 to a GTR to a 997TT im now ready to get back into a Vette. I miss the Raw Power of the Z06 and the reliability it came with, Im thinking i wanna grab one of the few 2012 Z06s left on the market and then eventually probably jump back to the GTR after a year or two of enjoying the Z. My concern is with the C7 around the corner is now a bad time to jump on a 12' Z. I don't want to loose my *** on it when i turn around to sell a year down the road. And while i know the C7 Z06 is quite a ways a way with the base C7 being in the same Price range as the 12' Z will i run into problems if i was to buy now and sell in 6-8 months? Or should i just forget about the Vette and go back to the GTR now.

Any input is Appreciated Thanks!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy.
C6 values still have many good years ahead of them.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

It is never a bad time to buy a Vette
Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Biased here... Buy a Centennial z06 and never look back :-)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 PM
noz34me
Pro

If you don't want to lose your *** don't buy any new car expecting to sell it in a year or so.

Losing your *** is inevitable.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

1. You are going eventually get hurt if you don't stop flopping - we wern't built to flop
2. There were not that many 2012 Z06's produced - so pricing should be somewhat stable
3. If you are going to buy then sell, go pre-owned and private seller to get the best price
4. A GT-R and a Z06 Corvette are apples and oranges. Surely your brain and your *** must have a preference so that the flopping can stop
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM
JABLS7
Instructor

Thanks for the replys guys haha

I flop cars all the time, I'm blessed I'm able to do so and get a taste of this and that. I haven't been able to shake the want for another Z06 tho since my last one. I know you will always loose money on cars, trust me I know. But there's a difference between a good buy and losing a bit to swap cars and then buying a car that is about to be a model year behind and loosing 10k+ in a year because u bought right before the new model. That was my concern.. I'm thinking I might go after your centineal Z btw, il get back with you tommorow.

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

here's one for you...bet it's a beauty.

he needs to sell...G-L

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-2009-zr1.html
Old 08-05-2013, 11:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JABLS7
Thanks for the replys guys haha

I flop cars all the time, I'm blessed I'm able to do so and get a taste of this and that. I haven't been able to shake the want for another Z06 tho since my last one. I know you will always loose money on cars, trust me I know. But there's a difference between a good buy and losing a bit to swap cars and then buying a car that is about to be a model year behind and loosing 10k+ in a year because u bought right before the new model. That was my concern.. I'm thinking I might go after your centineal Z btw, il get back with you tommorow.

Thanks again guys!
Michael is correct as far as he goes. To me, first if you're buying new, as said, you're going to lose more. Second, if you're buying a '12 you'll get a better deal new, but it'll also be worth less than a '13 when you sell it (obvious, right?). Third, the C7 is here now, every week you wait it gets closer to being on the street, and when it is, every C6 will continue to lose more "value" for a period of time. The C6 has lost some value since around late last year, not all that bad, but some.

So, if you're going to buy a C6 just know it will lose some more until it stabilizes. I am told by a reliable source who buys practically every week at the auctions that prices (prior to the intro of the C7) have come up since the lows during the recession. Maybe things aren't all that bad.

Your best bet is to buy a lightly used C6 and go from there. It won't be dirt cheap, but it won't cost like a new one either. And it should be less than even a leftover, '12 which must be hard to find in the Z model.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM
JABLS7
Instructor

Again thanks guys, *im not buying new, I ment new to myself lol. I never buy new unless its a work truck or something. Il pick up a Z with a few thousand miles. The C7 right around the corner just scared me a bit. However I think I'm going to shoot for a Z anyway. Most likely a Centiniel or a White Z. The more rare the better in my book. Thanks for the feed back, if anyone knows of cars forsale let me know as there is only 10 12' Z06s for sale in the nation on cars.com lol. Btw Chevy should be very proud with this car, after a 13' GTR and a 2012 997 TT I still feel the need to get my *** back in a Z06. Just such a fun car!

Thanks again guys
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With that kind of money have you considered a V10 R8? Get away from turbo lag in higher gears but still have the luxury and exclusivity.

Personally I would not be looking to buy a C6 with the C7 being only months away. Wait until after the C7 is released and see if C6 prices drop further.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM
JABLS7
Instructor

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
With that kind of money have you considered a V10 R8? Get away from turbo lag in higher gears but still have the luxury and exclusivity.

Personally I would not be looking to buy a C6 with the C7 being only months away. Wait until after the C7 is released and see if C6 prices drop further.
Already had one, traded it up for a 2011 lp560-4 gallardo. There's a thread I posted a while ago when I had my Z of the two together in the garage. Amazing car tho you are right, however when It came down to it the lambo was just an all around better car. I should mention this Z / GTR is my daily driver to the office and back. I have my super cars that I rarely ever flop around from. However the cars I mentioned above have been cycling as my DDs
Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
If you don't want to lose your *** don't buy any new car expecting to sell it in a year or so.

Losing your *** is inevitable.

I agree!!

But it sounds like the OP has plenty of money. Just keep the Z06. And go buy your rice burner too. Lol
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM
JABLS7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I agree!!

But it sounds like the OP has plenty of money. Just keep the Z06. And go buy your rice burner too. Lol
Haha I wish man, only reason I'm shying away from the GT-R is because I'm trying to save a little money right now and the Z is an amazing car for the 60-70 mark.

I should clear up what I said originally. Loosing money on cars can be a little controllable depending on purchase price and timing. However loosing money on cars is inevitable, but loosing 10k+ just because I didn't wait a few months for the C7 to price adjust the C6 is just being stupid. Talking to a few people it seems there shouldn't be to much of a dramatic price drop. That's what I was worried about, some cars tank as soon as a new model is out. Only benefit I can see of waiting for the C7 now tho is I think the amount of 2012 Z06s at dealers will jump and my options and leverage on pricing would most likely be much better.

I'm just between waiting a few months, or just pulling the trigger now and praying it donsent tank lol
Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 AM
markmatthews
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Already had one, traded it up for a 2011 lp560-4 gallardo. There's a thread I posted a while ago when I had my Z of the two together in the garage. Amazing car tho you are right, however when It came down to it the lambo was just an all around better car. I should mention this Z / GTR is my daily driver to the office and back. I have my super cars that I rarely ever flop around from. However the cars I mentioned above have been cycling as my DDs
um with that kind of garage...just get the Z06 and keep the GT-R or turbo

personally i'm waiting for the C7s to come out and for the weather to cool down...before hopping into a Z06. if you find a good enough deal you won't lose as much down the road.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

[QUOTE=markmatthews;1584599840 if you find a good enough deal you won't lose as much down the road.[/QUOTE]

This has been the focus of the program from inception ........ buy low, sell high. Many flippers are successful in the older models but C-5 and later are prone to depreciation. If your not careful, money pits. High dollar conversions seldom recover the costs involved.
Buyers sticking to a basic version and selling four to five years later with minimal mileage " ring the bell ".
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Private Message sent - check your inbox - Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Is Now a Bad Time to buy a Vette?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

You had a '12 GTR and traded to an '11 TT Porsche and you're looking at year old Z06s? Why? TTs are not exactly stones when it comes to "raw power." And as money doesn't seem to enter into it, the TT is worth more than a brand new Z, why not just get the last of the C6Z's?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:49 PM
AmericanVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After flopping around from a Z06 to a GTR to a 997TT im now ready to get back into a Vette. I miss the Raw Power of the Z06 and the reliability it came with, Im thinking i wanna grab one of the few 2012 Z06s left on the market and then eventually probably jump back to the GTR after a year or two of enjoying the Z. My concern is with the C7 around the corner is now a bad time to jump on a 12' Z. I don't want to loose my *** on it when i turn around to sell a year down the road. And while i know the C7 Z06 is quite a ways a way with the base C7 being in the same Price range as the 12' Z will i run into problems if i was to buy now and sell in 6-8 months? Or should i just forget about the Vette and go back to the GTR now.

Any input is Appreciated Thanks!
My guess is C6Z06 will hold value better than a base C6. With C7's for sale I believe base C6's will fall in price 20% the next year. I doubt C6Z06 will fall as much.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM
JABLS7
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
You had a '12 GTR and traded to an '11 TT Porsche and you're looking at year old Z06s? Why? TTs are not exactly stones when it comes to "raw power." And as money doesn't seem to enter into it, the TT is worth more than a brand new Z, why not just get the last of the C6Z's?
Because i have no reason to buy new, I would be happy with a 10'-11' but the interior didn't change until 12' so that's why im after a 12'

If i buy the car right i can sell it later and break even or even make some money on the deal. I drive the cars under dealer plates so they are not registered and i do not have to pay sales tax in the state of Texas thanks to the dealer license. I flip flop around from car to car because i can drive one for a few months, maybe even a year and get back out of it without loosing much or anything. Probably should of put this in the original Post lol.

The 997TT was just a great deal that came around, i had to sell the GTR to free up some money for an investment and after the TT was a good deal. Had it for around 5 months and got out of it before the new 991TT was announced. Now im looking for another DD and the one car that's been in my mind since i sold it was a C6 Z06. I cant shake the want to get into another one.

My only concern which i stated before was with the C7 on the verge of hitting the ground here in the next few months should i stay away from the C6 Z Right now.

Quick Reply: Is Now a Bad Time to buy a Vette?