C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On Star letter, OUCH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 AM
mfj427
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Default On Star letter, OUCH!

How many here still have On-Star activated? I guess I never needed it in the last 24 years, why now? The theft search I guess is nice….

Copied letter below.

Dear XXXX,

The OnStar¹ hardware in your 2013 Chevrolet Corvette has been deactivated. This means we cannot respond, and you cannot contact an OnStar Advisor for any reason, including emergencies.

• OnStar can no longer automatically contact help for you in the event of a crash.

• You cannot be connected to an OnStar Advisor for assistance during any emergency, including collisions, severe weather, or other crises.

• If your vehicle is stolen, OnStar will not be able to assist with location or recovery.

• If the keys are locked inside, OnStar cannot unlock the doors remotely for you.

• Any remaining Hands-Free Calling minutes you may have cannot be used.

To reactivate your service plan, push the blue OnStar button. An OnStar Advisor will help you choose the plan that best meets your needs. Only then can you ensure that an OnStar Advisor will be there for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 AM
JV936
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you actually can contact them anytime. Just push the blue button, and pay the man first.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

These A$$holes just contradicted themselves. It says since your service is discontinued you can no longer contact onstar for ANY REASON. However by some great feat just by pushing that blue button you CAN be connected to them. What a crock of sh*t.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Ozarkwoods
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The account is deactivated? They still can do all those things mentioned above if you pay them.....hmmmmmmm kinda reminds me of a movie...The Godfather...if you pay for protection you are good to go....I used Onstar when I bought my Denali..even paid out once...I determined that it was just not worth it...so far I have escaped getting Whacked
Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

Not me and big whoop, just a scare tactic. Nothing your cell phone cant do for free other than that one in a million accident you would be knocked unconscious and unable to make a call. I'll take my chances, I have made it almost 50 years so far without it. Besides, cars are safer and more reliable than ever.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by mfj427
• You cannot be connected to an OnStar Advisor for assistance...

To reactivate your service plan, push the blue OnStar button. An OnStar Advisor will help you choose the plan that best meets your needs...
I thought taking your money would be considered an "emergency" at OnStar. They need a management shake-up if they don't consider getting the suckers to pay regularly an "emergency" priority.

I like the fact that I still have $600 in my pocket because I didn't order the OnStar package. Shortly after that GM realized what a bad marketing decision they had made and rolled the cost into the base price people now pay and called OnStar a "free" feature.

BTW, if someone steals my car I don't want it back. That's what insurance is for.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
These A$$holes just contradicted themselves. It says since your service is discontinued you can no longer contact onstar for ANY REASON. However by some great feat just by pushing that blue button you CAN be connected to them. What a crock of sh*t.
I was told that by law they would have to answer a medical emergency call just like any cell phone when you dial 911 without a contract.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I called them from home recently to get some rate information, they gave me the info and said when I'm ready to reactivate go out into the car, move it to an open area and push the blue button and they would reactivate the system. I guess you can get them anytime...
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I just recieved the same letter in the mail. I think it was in my trashcan before I got to the 3rd sentance.

It reads like a 'dear John' letter from some chick you hate.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
I just recieved the same letter in the mail. I think it was in my trashcan before I got to the 3rd sentance.

It reads like a 'dear John' letter from some chick you hate.
HA!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I like the fact that I still have $600 in my pocket because I didn't order the OnStar package.
OnStar. Never had it before I bought the Vette. Wouldn't have wanted to pay for it if I had the choice, either. So...my "FREE" subscription is up next year. Is it really $600 a year for renewal?

Guess I'll be letting that lapse along with the Sirius radio package.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The real insult is they think we're idiots.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Terrible to deal with, would never do business with them. Once they get your credit card forget it.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Unfortunately, they are still recording your driving habits and would love to sell them to your insurance company. Since they wont do anything for you unless you pay them, i would return the favor and cut the wires that feed the data and power to onstar box.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

So what is the point of all this carping. I have OnStar in all 3 of my vehicles. One of them is 10 years old. If the account is deactivated and you have an accident the system isn't going to contact the service center for you. Some people say big deal but they don't realize they may not be able to use their cell phone because they are incapacitated, there is no service for a hand held phone, or the phone is out of reach if they don't have a blue tooth. As or all of the paranoid people you should stop worrying about people tracking you when they could give a damn what the hell you are doing. They have better things to do with their lives and jobs.

I have been an OnStar Customer for 10+ years and have never had an issue with them that they haven't been able to address to my satisfaction and they have provided some great service when I needed them at times. They are like an insurance policy. You don't like paying them for something that it doesn't seem like is providing you anything but when they are needed it is nice to know they are there helping.

Bill

Bill
Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
So what is the point of all this carping. I have OnStar in all 3 of my vehicles. One of them is 10 years old. If the account is deactivated and you have an accident the system isn't going to contact the service center for you. Some people say big deal but they don't realize they may not be able to use their cell phone because they are incapacitated, there is no service for a hand held phone, or the phone is out of reach if they don't have a blue tooth. As or all of the paranoid people you should stop worrying about people tracking you when they could give a damn what the hell you are doing. They have better things to do with their lives and jobs.

I have been an OnStar Customer for 10+ years and have never had an issue with them that they haven't been able to address to my satisfaction and they have provided some great service when I needed them at times. They are like an insurance policy. You don't like paying them for something that it doesn't seem like is providing you anything but when they are needed it is nice to know they are there helping.

Bill

Bill
I agree Bill. I have it in two of my three vehicles, and the third doesn't have the capability. I see it as a small price to pay for peace of mind. And it's optional ... if a person doesn't like it, don't get it. But there's no need to trash them either. I think they provide a valuable service, and yes, they're going to make a profit.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
Is it really $600 a year for renewal?

Guess I'll be letting that lapse along with the Sirius radio package.
Safe & Sound is $199.00 a year or Directions & Connections is $299.00 a year. You choose one.

Last edited by Corvette Junkie; 08-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To On Star letter, OUCH!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Ken_C8
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 410 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '21

They were calling my land line at least 2x a day. I finally picked up and told them that this is NOT how they should earn business. Haven't received a call since. I did get the exact same letter and promptly put it where it belongs. In the shredder.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all,

I just wanted to provide a little clarification.

That letter is just to inform you that the service has been deactivated and we are unable to connect with the vehicle. The only way to connect is via the OnStar or Emergency buttons within the vehicle.

This means:
- If you are in an accident OnStar will not be alerted.
- If you are locked out and call from a landline or cell phone, OnStar will not be able to connect to the vehicle to unlock your doors.

BUT...
- If a subscriber does not have active OnStar subscription, when they contact us in the vehicle, they will be directed automatically to our activation department. In the event of an Emergency, the call can be transferred to the appropriate team to assist.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm happy to help!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Bill, you make a good point and I respect your opinion.

Every endeavor has it's risk. I feel I can do without OnStar and will most likely remove the box once I use up the 60 minutes I bought when I purchased the car or they expire - haven't used any so far. Some of the reasons are the unwanted intrusions (I get messages from them when I start my car about using the features, services etc), I really don't know where the data and metrics are being used (maybe not today, but how about the future?), the service agreement is confusing, our federal agency monitoring and other antics don't inspire confidence, and a few other reasons as well. When I picked up my car from the dealer and was driving it home, the car sent an e-mail telling me to try the OnStar features and BTW the car is feeling fine - Jeez I hope so as the odometer reading at the time was 24. Cool technology, but can I do without it? Never say never, but I've been doing so for the last 49 years of driving.

I know I can also be personally tracked (and more) just by having my cell phone on and that's about my tolerance level. There are times when I just turn it off or leave it at home and let everything roll over to voicemail, not because I'm concerned about being tracked, I just don't want the intrusions sometimes. Kind of like the 'old' days when people had to leave a message or just call again if you weren't near your home phone. I'm apparently just an old fart as my cell phone is just that - a phone, no data, no text, no camera, however it is small enough to fit in my pocket and that's all I need.

Last edited by pickleseimer; 08-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: On Star letter, OUCH!