C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with NPP flaps staying open all the time

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:31 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Need help with NPP flaps staying open all the time

hope you guys can steer me in the right direction: I have an 08 vert
with M2W and both flaps stay open all the time. Here is what I have done so far-

disconnected the M2W and put both 10A fuses back in- flaps still open with engine running

Checked the flaps and moved them manually- vacuum lines are in place on the mufflers- everything moves freely

Pulled the exhaust fuse and flaps stayed open all the time with engine running.

Check the solenoid in the rear bumper- all lines and electrical connections
look normal.

I don't have a vacuum tester but I pulled off the line going to the front of the car and there is definite suction on that line with the engine running. So I replaced that line and pulled off the line going to the mufflers and there was no suction coming out of the outlet of the solenoid.

Does that mean the solenoid is bad?

I wanted a little advice before I ordered a part-

BTW- I have done a search and looked at a number of post about failed NPP issues related to mine.

thanks
The following users liked this post:
Biggarlick (11-20-2016)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

sounds like it to me, unless there is some obstruction in the line somewhere. the vacuum keeps the flaps closed. I don't know how or if the m2w caused anything to fail (I tend to doubt it). maybe it's just the solenoid's time to fail, altho I don't know too many that have failed at all, for any reason.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Can't help ya........ got the NPP on my GS too.....

It's not the M2W you've proven that already. It's a problem in the system itself.

This is why I'll never have it again..........something else to go wrong.........so much more complicated then a simple Corsa or aftermarket system.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
This is why I'll never have it again..........something else to go wrong.........so much more complicated then a simple Corsa or aftermarket system.
Ah that's hog wash. . The probability of that part breaking is no more than any other part and if that's the case don't even order the car with a motor just push it as that might break also. Ridiculous reasoning.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything I did is posted here and is correct to the best of my knowledge.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...pp-issues.html

The solenoid was bench tested and it worked fine. In the end I think heat caused the old one to fail because the exhaust would work as designed until you drove it. I would imagine it gets warm back there being as the mufflers are right below it. The solenoid may have had a windings issue that only caused it to fail when hot. The solenoid is NC, it opens when voltage is applied so when the solenoid fails it closes and the flaps stay open.
Good luck.

btw way if you find out it's not the solenoid and it's the exhaust control module mounted above the right rear wheel house in the cargo area I have one I will sell cheap.
Biggarlick (11-20-2016)
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
drich2905
Drifting

thanks guys-

I did read another search thread where someone suggested check the wiring harness going to the solenoid while the car is running to make sure it is getting power.

I did that and it registered about 13.69V.

So, it seems the solenoid is getting power, good vacuum is getting to the solenoid, but no vacuum is coming out.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, well....................

I have contacted Gene at GMPartshouse about ordering a solenoid.

It seems all the threads I read had very few photos. I will try to get some and post it for then next guy/gal who comes along and wants to replace one of these doodads.
Biggarlick (11-20-2016)
Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by red2012
Ah that's hog wash. . The probability of that part breaking is no more than any other part and if that's the case don't even order the car with a motor just push it as that might break also. Ridiculous reasoning.

I ordered a car with a radio a few years ago. It stopped working after only 6 months, I'll never buy a car with a radio again.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I have B & B Fusions on my Z06. When I first got it, the valves would not work either. After several hours, finally figured out the solenoid was bad. I think it was $35. Works fine now. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Oh excuse me...... you're right.... Why would I order a Corsa with 10 more HP with sound cancelling technology....i.e. no parts, vacuum, or electronics....... when I can give GM the money and get a free constant drone????

Koolaid is free today......

There a no alternatives to an engine but many to an exhaust. What a foolish comparison.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

....... when I can give GM the money and get a free constant drone????
You ever hear of Mild To Wild? No constant drone on my car.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drich2905

I have contacted Gene at GMPartshouse about ordering a solenoid.

It seems all the threads I read had very few photos. I will try to get some and post it for then next guy/gal who comes along and wants to replace one of these doodads.
The solenoid is appox. $60.00 with a discount from my local dealer.

The 90 degree rubber elbows (2) that connect the solenoid to the plastic vacuum lines are very hard to remove I ended up tearing one. There is little room to work and you can't get any leverage to turn or pull them. Worse case is you may need a small section of vacuum line to replace a torn elbow just make sure to loop it so there are no kinks. I was lucky in that the dealer tried to order them and the only way he found was ordering the section that goes to the vacuum ball reservoir. Maybe Grainger will have them I don't know.
Good luck.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Pat Bentley
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brutal

Originally Posted by Hameister
I ordered a car with a radio a few years ago. It stopped working after only 6 months, I'll never buy a car with a radio again.
Brutal but funny.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

NPP is a must have for me. I love being able to control the exhaust note.

Can't help ya........ got the NPP on my GS too.....

It's not the M2W you've proven that already. It's a problem in the system itself.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 AM
drich2905
Drifting

Hey Guys,

I am having trouble finding a source for the new solenoid. Seems that GM is back ordered with no ETA.

If anyone has a source please let me know.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Oh excuse me...... you're right.... Why would I order a Corsa with 10 more HP with sound cancelling technology....i.e. no parts, vacuum, or electronics....... when I can give GM the money and get a free constant drone????

Koolaid is free today......

There a no alternatives to an engine but many to an exhaust. What a foolish comparison.
My son inlaw had those noise all the time with npp on my z06 I have quiet and loud. Loud tooling around and quiet on the interstates on trips.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Hey Guys,

I am having trouble finding a source for the new solenoid. Seems that GM is back ordered with no ETA.

If anyone has a source please let me know.
Do you have vacuum up to solenoid? If so it is the solenoid pull line feel for it.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 AM
drich2905
Drifting

just in case this will help someone one day here are some photos of
the solenoid

Remember to take out both passenger tail lights to get access to the
part.

the first photo is looking into a tail light hole. The cover is over the solenoid. The fastener on the left can stay attached. The cover appears to be a thick fiber material (very bendable). On the right of the cover is a black push pin. I could not get the pin to come out but pulled on the cover and it came off the pin.

when you flip the cover from right to left you will see the solenoid. I used a small flat head screwdriver and a little elbow grease to get the rubber attachments off the black attachments. Very easy. just be careful with the screwdriver and don't tear the rubber attachments.
Biggarlick (11-20-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with NPP flaps staying open all the time

Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Jon@bbexhaust
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd throw in my $.02. I see the letters NPP and get all excited

We have our Fusion system, which is much like the NPP, using butterfly valves to direct exhaust flow through loud or quiet passages. It can be put in place of the factory NPP mufflers, and is actuated by the signal from the factory NPP. It can also be controlled by an interior mounted switch. We also offer a retrofit kit that to install the system on non-NPP equipped vehicles. The valves are controlled by an interior mounted switch with this set up. On the loud side it sounds very aggressive - like our Bullet exhaust. On the quiet side the sound is more tame and doesn't drone. Basically, the same sound and no drone as the PRT. Compared to stock it makes an additional 10-12 hp on the quiet side, and 18-22 on the loud side. More info: http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c6fusion/
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM
drich2905
Drifting

just in case this will help someone one day here are some photos of
the solenoid

Remember to take out both passenger tail lights to get access to the
part.

the first photo is looking into a tail light hole. The cover is over the solenoid. The fastener on the left can stay attached. The cover appears to be a thick fiber material (very bendable). On the right of the cover is a black push pin. I could not get the pin to come out but pulled on the cover and it came off the pin.

when you flip the cover from right to left you will see the solenoid. I used a small flat head screwdriver and a little elbow grease to get the rubber attachments off the black attachments. Very easy. just be careful with the screwdriver and don't tear the rubber attachments.
just wanted to finalize my older thread. I just got the in solenoid from Gene Culley at GMParthouse and it solved the problem.

At least for me it was pretty easy to determine that the solenoid was the problem. I pulled off the line going toward the front of the car and noted a vacuum on my finger but there was no vacuum coming out of the exit for the hose that goes to the actuator in the mufflers. Since it takes vacuum to close the flaps and I was getting vacuum to the solenoid I felt it best to replace the solenoid.

With some detective work from Gene I did discover that a previously reported part number on the forum was not what I needed.

The part number for just the solenoid is # 25794610.
If you want the solenoid plus the vacuum lines order #25794609.

I didn't need the vacuum lines and after installing the new solenoid the NPP works perfectly.

this is the solenoid only

Biggarlick (11-20-2016)
Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 PM
joeflylow
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 39 Posts

t first my exhaust was open intermittent, then open all the time. I replaced mine today. The coil resistance (of the solenoid) measured 287 Ohms; the new one measured 22 Ohms and pulled about half an amp of current. Oddly, when I connected each of them to a dc power supply, I did not hear any noise.

Quick Reply: Need help with NPP flaps staying open all the time