C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Maintenance Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Need Maintenance Advice

I recently bought an 08 Coupe and am enjoying the car. Today I went to the dealer and had the car inspected for registration and had a an oil change done.

The oil change was about 72.00 with tax. Not bad at all but I had a coupon. The car has 23k on the speedo. I was thinking of having the tranny fluid changed but the dealer wanted 225.00 plus tax. This seems crazy high to me and they also wanted 170.00 to do the coolant flush.

There is a tranny shop in town that I've used before for my other cars and he is telling me that it will be around 100.00 and that is using synthetic tranny fluid. I have a manual by the way. Would I be better off using the dealer or is this a pretty straight forward job?

Also, they don't have an evacuation unit for the radiator service. They drain and flush. Is this OK or should I wait and go somewhere that has the evacuation machine. It sucks the fluid out and flushes the radiator and then add the right amount of clean fluid. I'm also wondering if there is any other maintenance I should do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Anthony s
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an 08 with 20k miles. Besides oil changes I just had the coolant changed . The old coolant still looked clean. I use a neighbor hood shop I've known for years. I do get under the car occasionally ( oil changes) and look at everything.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Ask them to show you in the owners manual when the transmission fluid should be changed. Your a long way from needing it. The coolant should be done every five years. It's up to you if you want it flushed or drained. I do my own so I drained it. Very easy to do.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The fluids that GM uses in the tranny & diff work very well, I've stayed with them instead of something aftermarket that may be a little better or a lot worse.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The fluids that GM uses in the tranny & diff work very well, I've stayed with them instead of something aftermarket that may be a little better or a lot worse.
This. The Corvette rear ends can be very sensitive to the fluid used. There is little to no reason to use an aftermarket product in there unless you are going with a true upgraded fluid. (Amsoil, Redline, etc.)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: I drain and fill all fluids and replace filters every 30K or every March. As always, each to their own.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I see that Pete "Gering" and Jim of the "Gearhead" kind have already answered. I'll just echo what they say. I'd also stay away from some of the lesser-known fluids that have initials like b and g. To my experience they tend to fall into the category of what Jim said, "...or a lot worse."
Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by traderfjp
I recently bought an 08 Coupe and am enjoying the car. Today I went to the dealer and had the car inspected for registration and had a an oil change done.

The oil change was about 72.00 with tax. Not bad at all but I had a coupon. The car has 23k on the speedo. I was thinking of having the tranny fluid changed but the dealer wanted 225.00 plus tax. This seems crazy high to me and they also wanted 170.00 to do the coolant flush.

There is a tranny shop in town that I've used before for my other cars and he is telling me that it will be around 100.00 and that is using synthetic tranny fluid. I have a manual by the way. Would I be better off using the dealer or is this a pretty straight forward job?

Also, they don't have an evacuation unit for the radiator service. They drain and flush. Is this OK or should I wait and go somewhere that has the evacuation machine. It sucks the fluid out and flushes the radiator and then add the right amount of clean fluid. I'm also wondering if there is any other maintenance I should do?

Thanks in advance.
At only 23K miles, the only fluids that might need attention now are the brake, clutch, and windshield washer fluids. Trans and diff are more mileage dependent and coolant is heating/cooling cycles. Also watch for abnormal tire wear due to the alignment. Unless, of course, you have an overwhelming need to spend some money to give yourself some peace of mind.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The times I have purchased a used car ( usually a low mileage one too ) I always change all the fluids just for a fresh start. For me it is part of the price of buying used.

I do the belts between 60-75 thousand miles too, always regardless of condition, even if the belts looks good.

Maybe a bit wasteful but I like the state of mind it leaves me.

I usually keep my cars for a long time which is a influencing factor on my method choice.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
Auto or manual?

Drain and fill on both auto and manual isn't too hard in my opinion. Hardest part may be getting the car off the ground. Low profile rhino ramps (google race ramps) work for many, or rhino ramps and a low profile aluminum racing jack (my approach) are viable options. The cost is dependent on auto or manual. Drain and fill on a manual is only 4 qts, about 6 qts on an auto. They would take different spec fluids as well. Dexron VI for an auto, GM part 88861800 (or the superseded Dexron III) for a manual.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Need Maintenance Advice

Quick Reply: Need Maintenance Advice