C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GA State Patrol Encounter

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 AM
New Corvette Guy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GA State Patrol Encounter

Got pulled over by the GA Highway Patrol yesterday. Yes, I was driving the Vette. He said he pulled me over because I had an illegal license plate frame. It covered up a 1/2" more of the plate on the bottom than it was suppose to. He was nice enough to let me go. Really, no other problems on GA roads than my plate frame? Geez!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The South Carolina LEO's wouldn't have let you off.

A few states are starting a push on this.
Especially if the name of the state is covered

USAF
Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

every other car on the road has one of those frames (not on any of mine though), seems like he was just picking on the Vette...
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Florida has that law although I never hear of it being enforced....probably one of those when the motorist is being a douche that gets added on (not saying OP was being a douche)
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by pewter99
Florida has that law although I never hear of it being enforced....probably one of those when the motorist is being a douche that gets added on (not saying OP was being a douche)
Same in TX. Seems they made a big deal about the new law and tried to enforce it for a year or so. Now it is as if there is no such law.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I guess they have nothing else to do.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 AM
o_town_racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More involuntary tax collection. You always see laws like this come out when budgets get tight.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by su8pack1
I guess they have nothing else to do.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

What a bunch of Mickey Mouse Crap! They really need to find something useful to do, than waste tax dollars, and time on this type of bull.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 AM
noz34me
Pro

I know in my subconscious that traffic cops are needed, but it's things like this that really pi$$ me off.

I feel like asking the patrol officer if the police have solved all the crimes in the area, and now they have manpower to throw at meaningless offenses, but of course I want "out" of the ticket so- - I end up biting my tongue. Grrr- - internalizing anger is not my strong suit.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by New Corvette Guy
Got pulled over by the GA Highway Patrol yesterday. Yes, I was driving the Vette. He said he pulled me over because I had an illegal license plate frame. It covered up a 1/2" more of the plate on the bottom than it was suppose to. He was nice enough to let me go. Really, no other problems on GA roads than my plate frame? Geez!
He was just checking out the vet slow day for him. I had this problem on my daugthers car I have a frame on my ss Camaro that does the same as yours no problem for me of course mine reads USMC alumni on it that may make a diff. Oh and my daughter was being checked out by the fuzz both girls kept getting pulled over I finally had enough and address this with the local fuzz.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 08-11-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

OH No... not another cop bashing thread, it's been a week or two. Simple stop for a simple violation (it is a violation) and a warning given. These stops do lead to abducted children, murderers, wanted persons, drugs (4 million dollars worth) large sums of illegal cash (over 1 million dollars), terrorists, illegal/stolen weapons etc. etc. One stop, could this be, nah, he is just a communist tax collector with nothing better to do, putting his life on the line to raise a couple dollars that he will never see, yea that's it. I'm sure he wasn't thinking of the 10 cops that gave their lives this week making a traffic stop for nothing or going to an incident where he gave his life for people he didn't know. I can tell you there is no better feeling, other than driving a Vette, when a child is returned to their parent, millions of dollars in proceeds from drugs taken, millions of dollars of drugs that are going to our kids are taken off the street, from a simple traffic stop... At least that's what I've heard
Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Right a real hero no doubt making a stop like that. Wow, plate frame to wide whew glad everyone was safe.
Originally Posted by psp6158
OH No... not another cop bashing thread, it's been a week or two. Simple stop for a simple violation (it is a violation) and a warning given. These stops do lead to abducted children, murderers, wanted persons, drugs (4 million dollars worth) large sums of illegal cash (over 1 million dollars), terrorists, illegal/stolen weapons etc. etc. One stop, could this be, nah, he is just a communist tax collector with nothing better to do, putting his life on the line to raise a couple dollars that he will never see, yea that's it. I'm sure he wasn't thinking of the 10 cops that gave their lives this week making a traffic stop for nothing or going to an incident where he gave his life for people he didn't know. I can tell you there is no better feeling, other than driving a Vette, when a child is returned to their parent, millions of dollars in proceeds from drugs taken, millions of dollars of drugs that are going to our kids are taken off the street, from a simple traffic stop... At least that's what I've heard
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by psp6158
Obstructed plate stops here in TX have produced any number of drug busts.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:38 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm surprised he pulled you over for that. They are usually sitting in speed traps. When times get tough...people get picky.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

In short, I would be thankful it was only a warning. The officer was correct.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Fact is ... that cop could care less about the OPs license plate frame.

It just gave him the chance of possibly finding bigger and better things.

Since the cop didn't find anything of significance during this stop, all the cop managed to do was waste his time and the time of the OP ...

Local government made no money from the stop, the driver was delayed from his normal legal activities, no criminals were caught, no crime was solved, no illegal drugs were removed from the public, no dangerous drunk driver was taken off the street ...

nothing gained for either party.

just a big waste of time.

Get notified of new replies

To GA State Patrol Encounter

Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM
GRG
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You were framed !!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

North Carolina has that law also.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 AM
kab1sg
Cruising

St. Jude Donor '13

I can remember the pained and crushed looks on the faces of mothers, fathers, husbands and wives when we tell them they lost a loved one. Or the relief of a family recently when fellow troopers and firefighters located and recovered a missing daughter (also a mother) swept away by flood waters after she was located. Her four year old son also lost his life in the flood. Dealing with a registration infraction is minuscule compared to that.
Several states have similar plates and it helps to be able to read the state name on the plate. It is possible that the trooper was admiring your car, saw the frame and decided to make a stop to educate you about the state's law. It sounds like he was polite and professional, accomplished part of his agency's mission and sent you along your way with a warning.

Quick Reply: GA State Patrol Encounter